PDA

View Full Version : PS3 announced

sportraxrider10
05-16-2005, 06:40 PM
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/05/16/news_6124681.html

pics of the new system....im not sure if this has already been posted but if it was tell me and i will delete this

YFZ450Ridr
05-16-2005, 07:21 PM
dont think its been posted before but that thing looks pretty nice. id get the black color i think if i got one.

FasstMidnightZ
05-16-2005, 07:30 PM
I think the white 1 looks sick

Butters
05-16-2005, 08:59 PM
looks pretty nice. i don't think that i will own either console though. games just are getting so expensive.

Honda4trax250x
05-16-2005, 09:04 PM
that controller is ugly as sin

n00b on a 400ex
05-16-2005, 10:08 PM
if it wasnt for the boomerang-shaped controller id say it looks cooler then the xb0x360 (i hope either one has playback)

Butters
05-16-2005, 10:11 PM
the ps3 should have playback i'm llike 95% sure but i don't think the xbox 360 will.

400exredrider
05-16-2005, 10:22 PM
sounds like its going to put the Xbox to shame

TORO1968
05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by 400exredrider
sounds like its going to put the Xbox to shame

That's what I was going to say... :)

DIRTtrackLEGEND
05-16-2005, 10:38 PM
:confused:

Butters
05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
i wouldn't say its going to put the xbox 360 to shame but i do think it will be better and more rounded and its nice that it has playback. i would assume it would be around $300 cause i am pretty sure that is what the xbox 360 will be and i am sure they want it to be the same price. but once again i am not positive so don't take that to heart.

DIRTtrackLEGEND
05-16-2005, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by Butters
i wouldn't say its going to put the xbox 360 to shame but i do think it will be better and more rounded and its nice that it has playback. i would assume it would be around $300 cause i am pretty sure that is what the xbox 360 will be and i am sure they want it to be the same price. but once again i am not positive so don't take that to heart.

thanks

Disaster
05-16-2005, 10:52 PM
Should be sweet..PSP was pretty wicked...Looking forward to new Xbox though..

250R-Dee
05-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Anybody on this forum own a PSX? I might be picking up one next month when I visit Tokyo:)

Butters
05-17-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by TRX250RJapan
Anybody on this forum own a PSX? I might be picking up one next month when I visit Tokyo:)

i don't think those were introduced to north america so i doubt anyone has one unless they live in japan. they weren't that big of a hit so they weren't realeased to north america.

250R-Dee
05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
It was also released in the UK. I have been watching the price wars on these things and I can get the new version DESR-7700 with the 250gb HD for $400. The release of the PS3 should push the $600 market price down even further.

Butters
05-17-2005, 01:39 PM
yeah like i said it was never released to north america. i guess if you need a ps2 with tivo then the psx is a good value.

AtvMxRider
05-17-2005, 06:01 PM
Just great I guess I will be buying 2 of those next:ermm: I just bought my oldest son a PSP.

Butters
05-17-2005, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Just great I guess I will be buying 2 of those next:ermm: I just bought my oldest son a PSP.

sounds like you are going to be out of money.

Punk'd
05-17-2005, 08:28 PM
Looks pretty cool

400exrules
05-17-2005, 08:36 PM
wuts playback?

and that controller looks like a xbox controller on slim-fast

TheFontMaster
05-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
wuts playback?

I was wondering the same thing

Butters
05-17-2005, 08:50 PM
when they are talking about playback they mean previous games on the old consoles being able to play on the new ones. like how the ps1 games could be played on the ps2 and so on.

Toadz400
05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 400exrules
wuts playback?

"Sony also confirmed that the machine will be backward compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, an SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD, somewhat similar to the Xbox 360's. Sony did not mention if the drive would be standard."

400exrules
05-17-2005, 09:27 PM
k thanks :D

Butters
05-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
"Sony also confirmed that the machine will be backward compatible all the way to the original PlayStation. It will also have slots for Memory Stick Duo, an SD slot, and a compact flash memory slot. It will also sport a slot for a detachable 2.5-inch HDD, somewhat similar to the Xbox 360's. Sony did not mention if the drive would be standard."

yeah i am pretty sure the HD is going to be an option just like it is on the xbox 360. the ps3 is supposed to be using blu-ray discs.

250R-Dee
05-18-2005, 12:35 AM
DISCLAIMER: The fact that this information appeared on the webpage of one of Japan's leading newspaper does NOT mean that the information disclosed is either factual or actual (true or "written in stone").

I read the article below in the english version of the Mainichi Daily News (MDN) when I came into work this morning.

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) is to launch PlayStation 3 (PS3), its next-generation, high-performance household computer game console, next spring, company officials said Tuesday.

The new machine, which will have a higher performance capacity than personal computers and provide sophisticated movie-quality images, will be priced at less than 50,000 yen each, according to officials.

The release of PS3 is likely to intensify competition in the computer game market as Microsoft is set to release its next-generation computer game machine, Xbox360, at the end of this year.

PS3 uses a Cell, which is the world's most advanced processor. SCE developed the Cell with IBM and Toshiba Corp., and it has 27 times the arithmetic capacity of personal computers.

It also uses a Blue-ray Disc-Rom, the next-generation DVD that enables users to enjoy large-capacity games. PS3 can connect to the Internet to play on-line games, and connect to TV sets and personal computers to project pictures taken on digital cameras.

Moreover, PS2 games can be played on PS3 machines. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, May 17, 2005)

And this was the latest gaming news when I checked the MDN when I came back in the office

Nintendo unveils next-generation 'Revolution' console

Nintendo announced the release of its new "Revolution" home game console in Los Angeles on Tuesday, bringing itself in line with Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment, which are also set to market next-generation game devices.

The console is the successor to Nintendo's GameCube. It will be released next year.

With a size equivalent to three DVD cases, the Revolution is smaller than previous home consoles. It can be connected to computers through a wireless local area network to download such contents as image software or play games online.

Its processing speed is three times faster than that of the GameCube.

In about May next year Sony Computer Entertainment plans to release the PlayStation 3 console, while Microsoft plans to begin selling its new Xbox360 game console at the end of this year.

Nintendo's strategy is to release a new type of device that can download popular game software, aiming to capture the interest of the middle-aged generation who has become familiar with family computers.

Nintendo also announced its planned release of Game Boy Micro, a new portable console that will go on sale in autumn this year. It is lighter than the Game Boy Advance SP, weighing only about 80 grams. (Mainichi Shimbun, Japan, May 18, 2005)

MOFO
05-18-2005, 04:43 AM
well if Sony makes it Blue Ray, they are pulling themselves away from the industry standard again... :rolleyes: They might as well put the Betamax drive in there... LMAO.

HD-DVD and Blue Ray are together right now creating the next high capacity HD DVD's. If Sony sticks with Blue Ray on this, it will NOT be the center of a home entertainment system (the market they are looking for).

Only Sony can take a great idea or product and kill it with their greedy proprietary media.

JTRtrx250r
05-18-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Just great I guess I will be buying 2 of those next:ermm: I just bought my oldest son a PSP. man.. I hear that, every time something new comes out we have to get it, then the games, I dont even play vids and we have just about every damn unit made:rolleyes: ....KIDS!:mad: :D then they leave the games at friends houses or loose them:mad: ....KIDS!:mad: :D ;)

Dale512
05-18-2005, 08:50 PM
well right now the only industry standard is standard DVD...but a killer app like the PS3 using Bluray is going to pretty much solidify Bluray as the next industry standard.

Butters
05-18-2005, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Dale512
well right now the only industry standard is standard DVD...but a killer app like the PS3 using Bluray is going to pretty much solidify Bluray as the next industry standard.

yeah plus blu-rays are supposed to have better quality and have more space allowing it to have more room for the better dts sound.

MOFO
05-19-2005, 04:31 AM
Trust me guys, Blue Ray by itself WILL NOT be the industry standard - as of now.

Go do your homework and you'll find out. I've been reading about this since both technologies were released. Blue Ray is Sony's Beta Max..... its a great technology and I would not mind seeing it go, however it does have its downfalls... just like HD-DVD. (I could go into details about both if I had time) As of a couple weeks ago, BOTH company's Sony (Blue Ray) and Toshiba (HD-DVD) are in talks about coming up with ONE standard. Going to a Blue Ray standard would be VERY expensive and you will NOT be able to play regular DVD's. HD-DVD is very close to regular DVD's structure so backwards compatibility is not a problem - also HD-DVD are capable of up to 45 gig's.

Just because PS3 is going to use a certain format, you think the entire A/V world is going to use it????? Trust me, the WONT. Whatever ends up being the most "bang for your buck" and easiest to change over to will be the A/V standard.... and if its not Blue Ray, the PS3 will just be another game console.

Dale512
05-19-2005, 08:57 AM
It's going to be bluray winning out in the end or something very similar, besides the PS3 isnt coming out until next May, plenty of time for them to change the drive format if they happen to come up with a new standard. Besides it's already been stated that the PS3 will be able to play back standard DVDs along with the Bluray disks, so obviously backwards compatability isn't going to be a big issue anyhow.