PDA

View Full Version : neighbors raising hell

Stevie-D
05-16-2005, 06:31 PM
i'll start out with a little background.

i live on 24 acres of land, which is rented. in the middle of the property, there is a field with a track in it. i've built a cabin in the field. we go riding and camping back there all the time. there is also a red shale quarry back there. the quarry divides the landlords land with the neighbors land. basically they both own half of it. the landlord is cool with us riding on the track and camping back there. basically we can do what we want as long as we don't cause trouble. we've been here for about 12 years now. now the neighbor lives about 400 yards away from us, over a hill and through some woods. a few years back, his daughter and her family put a trailer on his land.
heres where it gets fun.
there are a few trails in our woods, one of them buts up against a state forest. the land used to belong to a guy who died and left the land to the state. we rode in his field before he died, so the trail has been there before the state got ahold of it.
well lately some people have found the trail, and followed it onto our land. most of these people have ridden on our land years ago. so about 2 weeks ago my brother was back there riding. DCNR came walking onto our land accusing him of riding on the land. one of the guys took pictures of him on the quad, and they told him that he was warned. :huh
the people who used the trail now know not to use it. theyve have started to use the dirt path that goes back to the quarry to get to the land. our landlord has right of way to the road because he has a mining permit for the quarry. well suddenly the neighbors daughter doesn't want people on the trail. so she complains to daddy, who comes back while im riding on MY OWN LAND, and tells me that he doesn't want anyone else back here. he doesn't mind me back there he said, but noone else. thats right, he's trying to tell me that other people can't ride on my land. :huh
so today i find out that on saturday while i was at work there were a bunch of people back on my land riding on the track. they all have my and the landlords blessing to be back there. so they were sitting on the porch of my cabin, and my neighbor goes back there and tells them to leave. i don't know if they did or not.

so this morning my brother goes out turkey hunting while i'm at school. i was talking to him this afternoon, and he told me that someone strung some barbed wire across the trail on OUR PROPERTY. it was about 2 feet high. my brother moved it out of the way. thank god that he found it before anyone got hurt. now we believe that our neighbor did it. they know about the trail and don't want anyone back there on our land. what sucks is we are 99% sure that they are putting barbed wire up on OUR PROPERTY, but we cannot prove it.
called the landlord, and he said that both DCNR and the neighbor have no right to be back there. so now we are going to end up with a friggin war with the neighbors over this.
in an attempt to make peace with the neighbors, i am clearing out a trial on our land to get back to the track and cabin. i'm going to tell the people that ride back there to use it. hopefully that will help out.
i brushed off DCNR being back there, but now there is barbed wire strung up, im getting pissed. :grr:

sorry about the long post. i needed to vent a bit.

Mxjunkie
05-16-2005, 06:37 PM
If it happens again tell the police or beat his *** thats messed up, my dads friend was decapatated over that bs because someone put wire across the trail :(

Stevie-D
05-16-2005, 06:42 PM
i know what ya mean. the neigbor is threatening to call the police if any people are back there again. well how in hell can they do anything if we are on our land???:huh makes no sense. i was talking to my brother, and we are going to find out if there is any legal action we can take against the neighbors. the only thing is we can't prove that they did it. everything is circumstantial.

wilkin250r
05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
We've all heard the old saying "possesion is 9/10 of the law". If that is your land, you're good to go, but you may need to PROVE it's your land.

First, find out true ownership, and get proof. Once you have that, approach your neighbor and ask him about the barbed wire. If he confesses, show him proof that you own the land, and threaten to press charges. Judges don't look too kindly on vigilanty justice, especially if he's wrong in the first place. I imagine charges could go well beyond simple tresspassing.

If he doesn't confess to putting the barbed wire, ask him to keep his eye out, and that you plan on pressing charges on whomever did it. If he DID put up the barbed wire, he'll think twice about doing it again if he knows that you'll press charges. Don't be accusatory, because it might not have been your neighbor, but either way, make your intentions known.

If you start a feud, you have to keep your nose clean. You can't even HINT about stepping on his property. You can't break the law, and then expect the law to help you out.

enduro400rider
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
i hate hearing about dumb people doin somthing as stupid as stinging barbed wire across trails. people get killed by things like that a person who lives 3 houses down from me was riding and they got hit by a wire strung across a trail it almost ripped them completly in half it hit the right across the stomac and ripped a few arteries, i cant imagine what barbed wire would do they hit an unbarbed wire and it messed them up, in a local riding area that is totaly leagal to ride on some people got boards and put nails threw them and sunk them into some mud holes and caused a bunch of problems. the dumb things people do :confused:

300exr
05-16-2005, 07:09 PM
man that sucks, I cant imagine how pissed you must be, our gay neighbors did it to my friends trail and get this they put big ars LOGS right on the side of the road so that no one would mess up the gras along side of the raod, since we used that instead of the road cuz we figured why piss people off by zippin up the raod, what if a car had to make an emergency pull over or a bicyclist had to swerve off the road some one could get killed. AND NOW they b*^ch about dust, noise, etc etc you know the whole deal, man if these yuppys dont wanna deal with riders why the hell do they move out to the country, damn i just realized how much this is got me worked up, owell, im with ya buddy, i hate people who just have to make things hard for us riders

Tommy 17
05-16-2005, 07:34 PM
i hate kill the ATV rider traps...

i found one one day that was quite clever... i still don't know how i noticed it before it got me...

it was a wire across the trail about 6 inches high... it woulda easy been caught on the quad which is what they wanted...

then when the rope was pushed or pulled it was set up like a pully system to pull a log out on the trail about 15ft infront of u... so u hit the log and wreck...

i know the guy that owns the land and i have written permission to be there... he loves to watch us ride we still don't know who did it...

muddy400EX
05-16-2005, 09:27 PM
even reading about stuff like this pisses me off! does the guy think that its his land or something?

lil400exman
05-17-2005, 07:36 AM
Steve- Call us into duty! Call a surveyor and get your property corners located and marked!

I do this very often, especially for parking lot accidents where two different lots meet so they can make the one who had the accident pay!;)

2004exrider
05-17-2005, 05:51 PM
being calm or nice gets you no where, nice guys finish last. just be up front with them tell them its your land, your quads, they have no rite putting fence on your property... tell them they could have seriously hurt or even killed you or someone else which could have ended up being a law suit. say that if you ever see them or anyone on your property that nos them that you will calll the cops and press every charge in the book on them. its your land tell them to get over it and get a frickin life:scary: thats what id do.
hope youy get everthing settled though, just dont intentionally make them mad. good luck

dunnonuttin
05-17-2005, 06:54 PM
my neighbor across the street thinks he owns the whole street. so when me next door neighbor was building there house, it was really muddy most of the time and the street would get covered in mud, he got all pissed off about it and told them they better start cleaning there chit up before driving on the road. well heres whats so funny, everyone except THEM payed to have the street paved (our street is not owned by the state). they didnt pay a damn penny but they think they have the right to tell people what they can and cant do. he even came over and told me to stop sliding the tires on my bike once cause it was making marks WTF?!?!:huh. so now i go by his house and ride a wheelie and slide on purpose to piss him off. my friend who has his license does a burnout everytime he goes by the house to piss him off and yes i know its immature

05-17-2005, 07:08 PM
I am verry immature when ppl mess with me. I think it is in my blood.

My father has a honda atc 3 wheeler that he registered as a tractor to dirve down the road back when it was legal around here. well it is granfathered or somthin so as long as he keeps regestering it every year he can still drive it doun the road as a tractor. he drives it just to piss the cops off. cuz they cant do nothin about it.

And my father lets me smoak the tires off my pickup on the driveway. it is private property so it isnt illegal as long as it is within the noise ordince. there is a ballfield at the end of the drivway and whenever there is a big game I roast my tires off just to piss ppl off.

Our niebors actually moved away because they got sick of the noise, dirt bikes, cars ext. it really is a ritual for anyone that pulls in the yard to smoke the tires on there way out.

My dad says that he would rather me making racket all day and pissin ppl off, than out in the woods smoaken the goncha.