PDA

View Full Version : XC quad choice........ Would a Predator be a good choice?

montycarlo
05-16-2005, 05:42 PM
I need faster harescrambling wheels - plain and simple. Money is an issue; I'm actually gonna be taking a small loan from the bank to buy something. I was noticing that used Predators seem to go a shade cheaper on the e-bay and I read a few opinions in the ATVRiders Predator forum that said this quad is too wide for XC at 47.5" wide.

I'm coming up from a 88 Warrior..... so most anything would be an improvement! ;)

Any thoughts or suggestions?

RingoYFZ450
05-16-2005, 06:29 PM
I dont know a lot about the Predators but if you are looking to buy something cheap go with a 400EX, they are still very competitive. Then there is always the 450R and YFZ450's if ya want to spend a bit more.

QUADROOKIE
05-16-2005, 07:47 PM
Not even a tuff decision here.....Z/KFX400. Hands down the best quad for the money and for any level rider other than the A classes, plenty of power, and very good handling chassis. Also, very little troubles with them, and a great platform to build on later. You should be able to pick one up used for 3000-3500 with some goodies on it. Watch over at Z400 central in the for sale section.

foxracingpredat
05-16-2005, 07:58 PM
my predator kicks *** in XC, wouldnt trade it for anything! I round up those yamaha's and honda's all race, that is if I am already not leading after the holeshot. I would fore sure go for the Predator

montycarlo
05-17-2005, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by QUADROOKIE
Not even a tuff decision here.....Z/KFX400. Hands down the best quad for the money and for any level rider other than the A classes, plenty of power, and very good handling chassis.

Actually I've been told that before. ;) As it is I'll own a new 2005 Z400 for under 5 grand unless somebody overbids me. I put some bids on ebay to feel out an auction & to see if the reserve would actually go away before 5 grand and guess what? It does and I'll be buying one unless someone else bids! :devil: I don't think I would complain about a new Z - they made some big improvements for the 05 model. Have to wait and see I guess.

QUADROOKIE
05-17-2005, 05:14 AM
Sweet!! You will not be disappointed! Good luck with the bidding!

Scott

Flynbryan19
05-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Be very careful buying quads on e-bay. There have been alot of scams going on lately over there. If possible I would recommend picking it up in person so that you can physically see what your going to get.

Z/Kfx is a GREAT platform to get started on. If its an 05' I'd say go for it. If its 03-04' though, I'd say that the Pred is still a better starting point. It has alot more nice equipment on it standard from the factory. The pred is actually only 1_1/2" wider than the Z. So thats only 3/4" on each side. I don't find that too much wider. ;)

montycarlo
05-17-2005, 05:46 AM
Thanks flynbryan..... This is from a Dealer in Missouri which is 220 miles away - so be assured I'll be at their door and that should be legit with there 1000+ feedbacks.

Ya 3/4" each side doesn't seem like much - but I've never sat on a Pred so I had no idea. At lunch today I'm probably gonna hop down to the dealer and eye one up closer. I'm sure someone will want an 05 z400 for under 5 grand and bid on this one! :blah:

Flynbryan19
05-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Usually the only time you get a steal on a item on ebay is if you throw in a bid at the LAST second. You gotta be quick about it and have some sort of dsl, or broadband connection. But if you get it I would jump on that deal. Let us know what you end up getting. ;)

bradley300
05-17-2005, 07:33 AM
the pred is 46 inches wide in the front and 47.5 in the rear. just flip the rear hube around and use some cannondale studs and you will be much narrower;)

Flynbryan19
05-17-2005, 08:23 AM
You can do that and it'll come in right at 46" in the rear. The only thing I didn't like about that is that you have a flat machined surface butting up against a chamfered surface...... Just looked to sketchy to me...... I want to get the Rath XC hubs. They fit perfect and bring it down to 46" in the rear.

Johnny & Monica
05-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Montycarlo,If you dont win the z400 let me know my buddy bougth some new insurance quads from a salvage sale he`s got a new 05 kfx with ligth smoke damage but brand new was on show room floor he got a blaster an yfz in the crate also selling blaster keeping yfz let me know I can pass on his # an some pictures I think he may have got a new craptor also an he has a few used banshees or I can find you a used 400ex by next week.Let me know what happens on your e-bay deal

montycarlo
05-17-2005, 11:55 AM
So THAT'S where you get all your quads Johnny! ;)

~at this time I'm still first in line for a new Z, but there is 46 hours to go before I hafta hit the paypal button. I bet someone nabs it at the last second but I'll be waiting patiently sitting on my hands and not bidding on or committing to anything until that happens! :D This quad is from that Procycle dealer in Columbia, MO.

OTHER NEWS........
I stopped by the Polaris-Cat-Yamaha-ATK dealer on my way home from work to lunch today. He said he'd sell me carryover Preds for $100 over cost + tax. (no setup fees) He quoted me $5279 for an '03 and $5469 for an '04. I'm not really looking to buy a new old quad...... just wondering if the prices sound to be in line. :confused:

Flynbryan19
05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
WAY to high on both. A couple months ago I heard on Predator Owners that there were brand new 03's going in the high $3000's and 04's Going in the mid $4000's. They're out there, just gotta hunt them down. DO NOT pay that much for 03-4's. Heck theres dealers giving OTD prices on 05's for what he wants for an 04'.

cheetah
05-17-2005, 03:17 PM
ATK.....there ya go.;)

Luecker
05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
I have two gripes with the Predator. The ergos of the 03-04. I haven't seen an 05 yet so I won't comment on that. And the weight. I like to be able to throw the machine around. If you are racing for 1.5-2 hours you don't want to be lugging around an extra 40-50 lbs.

RingoYFZ450
05-17-2005, 06:07 PM
I see a lot more Preds on the MX track vs the XC loops..

Flynbryan19
05-18-2005, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Luecker
I have two gripes with the Predator. The ergos of the 03-04. I haven't seen an 05 yet so I won't comment on that. And the weight. I like to be able to throw the machine around. If you are racing for 1.5-2 hours you don't want to be lugging around an extra 40-50 lbs.

I don't even notice the weight unless I'm having to manhandle it onto a trailer. Put all the aftermarket(ie: heavier) items on a Z, R, Yfz, etc that come standard on the pred and you get within 20lbs of the pred's weight. They're not as heavy as you think. ;)

montycarlo
05-18-2005, 05:42 AM
I really liked the Preds when I walked around one yesterday. Would have to have a different grab handle though.... it is curved up and therefore too high to lift the back for my 5'9" shortness. Seemed to feel good when I sat on it though.

Still tied to that new Z though....... :ermm: I won't complain one bit if I get stuck with it. :cool:

bradley300
05-18-2005, 06:01 AM
all you have to do is turn the grab bar upside down;)

Flynbryan19
05-18-2005, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
all you have to do is turn the grab bar upside down;)

^^^Exactly what I did. :D

As did Kim Kuhnle, and Matt Smiley. It works really well when you do that.

The Z is a sweet deal and I wouldn't blame you one bit if you got "stuck" with it. :cool:

Braff1
05-18-2005, 06:45 AM
Here is some info on the Predator when comparing to others.
1)Comes stock with Long travel front and rear suspension.
2) comes stock with steel swing arm
3) comes stock with heavy duty axle (with a lifetime warranty if I remeber right)
4) 500 cc, no overbore kit needed
5) stainless steel brake lines front and rear.

Rath racing now makes XC hubs for the rear to narrow it down to 46". The front is 45"wide.

What makes the bike seem heavy is the fact that the rear has long travel susp. You go to pick it up and you are up over waist high before the shock tops out, therefore you are trying to use arm strenght instead of leg strength.

I am hoping now that Matt Smiley is kicking butt on the predator polaris will see that it needs to be narrowed down some to be more competitive in XC. As far as the weight, you upgrade the to others with all the stock items of the predator and you will be close to the same weight.

montycarlo
05-18-2005, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19

The Z is a sweet deal and I wouldn't blame you one bit if you got "stuck" with it. :cool:

The seller sent me an email and said he'd end the auction early if I wanted to put $$ down today. :eek2: I wasn't actually prepared for that. I'll think I'll wait it out. If I have to buy it, then I will be very happy about it and go and pick it up Saturday after work when Y'all are at the 6 hour. If someone nabs it at the last second; then I'll get something else.

I think. :ermm:

Flynbryan19
05-18-2005, 12:02 PM
Hate to say it, but if I was you man........I'd GO for it! Just by the d@$n thing. :D

QUADROOKIE
05-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Hate to say it, but if I was you man........I'd GO for it! Just by the d@$n thing. :D :D Yep!! What he said!!!! No way would I pass up that deal!:eek2: Forget about the predator. the Zis better!!;)

montycarlo
05-18-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by QUADROOKIE
:D Yep!! What he said!!!! No way would I pass up that deal!:eek2: Forget about the predator. the Zis better!!;)

It is a sweet deal; can't deny that..... However~ I went to the ProcycleUSA website and they sell Z400's every day for $4799 so I'm thinking I can get one at that price any time. Also can't forget about this factor:

Originally posted by Johnny or Monica (it was one of them!)
Montycarlo,If you dont win the z400 let me know my buddy bougth some new insurance quads from a salvage sale he`s got a new 05 kfx with ligth smoke damage but brand new was on show room floor

Can't put this out of the picture either! ;) I'm waiting to hopefully hear from Johnny to see if he might know about how much a smoked KFX goes for. So I think I'm gonna wait on the auction for the moment. If I buy it.... YIPPEE! If not...... YIPPEE! I don't really see where I can lose.

Johnny also didn't say if it was mesquite or hickory smoked KFX..... :huh

montycarlo
05-19-2005, 11:46 AM
:) :D ;) :p :cool: :blah: :devil: :devious:

Z400 it is. Nobody bid (as I expected!) and my deposit is placed. Bank will have a check waiting for me tomorrow at 1pm and I'll go pick it up Saturday evening.

Thanks for your input guys!

scramblerracer
05-19-2005, 07:16 PM
Just a note about PROCYCLE they sell alot of bikes and quads, half are fine. The other half are repos, manufactuer crate damaged or "dropped" quads. I was going to buy a 400ex last year from them- went to pay and the price started going up. The advertised price was only if I financed thru their lender. I had cash and they wanted 975.00 more just to make up what they would have gotten as a kickback. Then they said I couldn't buy the quad without paying them sales tax.

Jekyl_22
05-24-2005, 06:20 PM
Good pick with the Z400! Congrats! I remember what it was like going from a 1987/1988 Kawi Bayou to a 2001 400EX.... amazing.

As for the Predator weighing the same as a 450 once the aftermarket parts are added... not so at all. The predator is MUCH heavier and doesn't just feel that way because it has 'long travel' suspension. And the so called 'long travel' suspension isn't even on par with a YFZ's suspension.

As for getting a new Z400, good call. They have much better suspension and more aggressive cams. A new bike is always nice to have too, you know what's been done to it.

kx515
05-24-2005, 09:09 PM
Good purchase man!! I race a z400 in xc and do very well!! It all depends on the rider. I beat honda 450's and yamma 450's. I have also got passed by warriors and 300 ex's. It just depends on the rider. Good choice with the z. Stop by z400central.com there is some good info on the z.

montycarlo
05-25-2005, 05:26 AM
Thanks gentlemen I really like this quad!

I actually just registered at Z400Central just haven't had time to do anything there yet.

Originally posted by Jekyl_22:
A new bike is always nice to have too, you know what's been done to it.
Yep. So far mine has Pro Armor chassis skid plate & Moose bumpers. Tonight Pro Armor race peg nerfs and Acerbis handguards bolted to Tusk T-7's.

Oh, and it got laid down on the right side last night!:ermm: