PDA

View Full Version : How to adjust stock suspension preload for MX?

Stock 400 rider
05-16-2005, 04:21 PM
Hello, I was wondering if I am running them right.

I have my springs almost all the way up to keep the quad sitting low, is that right?

Also, how to set the rider height for mx?

Thanks a lot!

ReconRider25
05-16-2005, 04:31 PM
Ok first you dont want to set it up for how high/low it is from the ground but more for rider weight terrain etc. First you want to set the preload on the rear shock which should be about 30% of the total shock travel. youll want to measure from the grabbar to axle without the suspension compressed(put a milkcrake under the quad or somethin) then with full riding gear sit down on it like your riding and measure it. Take the difference of this so its about 30 percent. Youll then want to adjust the compression and rebound, the rebound will be at the bottom of the shock, you dont want it where its buckin you over the bars but then again you dont want it packin up in whoops. i cant remember which way does what i think harder will make it rebound faster. on the compression thats basically up to how big the jumps are your hitting etc. hope this was some help.:)

blue416ex
05-16-2005, 06:55 PM
im having the same problem tuning my rear shock it bucks me around almost over the bars but yet it still sags too much where i can't double whoops because the rear end drops down when i get in the air making me case the second whoop but then when i sit on it its too stiff someone give me an idea on how to set this but it doesnt bottom out anymore off the jumps i hit :devil: and ill be getting elka ssd fronts this week i need help

ReconRider25
05-16-2005, 07:22 PM
^^^i just explained how to setup alot of that the sag would be the preload you adjust that by the threaded adjusters for the spring the correct amount is up in my previous post also the bucking your talking about is the rebound. you dont have to turn the screw alot youd be surprised at how much of a difference a lil bit of a turn will make.;)

Stock 400 rider
05-16-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks for the help.
What about the front?