PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum airbox - relocating battery

quad2xtreme
05-16-2005, 03:46 PM
Ads always tout relocating the battery to put the weight in the middle of the quad. I always figured the factory location helped offset the exhaust so the quad is truly balanced. Anyone who has made the change noticed any difference (good, bad, or indifferent)?

Thanks

Jon

Tommy 17
05-16-2005, 04:45 PM
the only problem i've seen with them is that alot of them crack... they can't handle the weight of the battery in there and it will eventually crack it...

blue416ex
05-16-2005, 07:13 PM
id rather it crack after a long period of time and not bend it after hitting descent jumps and the subframe twists so bad that your chain rubs the subframe:mad: im relocating mine up front to where it is safe, outta the way, and wont twist anymore subframes:macho

duke416ex
05-17-2005, 06:59 AM
I had one, it busted out. The battery was to much if you jump much, and no it didn't make any difference as far as centering the weight.

maynard22
05-17-2005, 07:29 AM
My buddy moved his up front on his 440ex and he said he can't tell the difference.

PHIL_B54
05-17-2005, 03:44 PM
i love mine, so much easier to put your fenders on. keeps your electrical clean, and dry. its easier to charge the battery
and when you polish/clean it up it looks sweet

i dont mx, so i cant tell you about bending or cracking. some people complain that you cant keep mud out of them, but ive never had problems

K_Fulk
05-17-2005, 06:28 PM
I've had a pingy for a few years and it has held up great. They seem to be better made than a lot of them out there.

05-17-2005, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by PHIL_B54
i love mine, so much easier to put your fenders on. keeps your electrical clean, and dry. its easier to charge the battery
and when you polish/clean it up it looks sweet

Do you mind poasting some more pics of where everything is mounted? I am thinking of making one, just need to see where stuff is mounted. and yes I can weld the aluminum.

PHIL_B54
05-18-2005, 05:40 AM
I will take some tonight, i dont really have anything close

05-18-2005, 10:01 AM
thanks

PHIL_B54
05-18-2005, 04:09 PM
sorry, i am a poor *** photographer.

PHIL_B54
05-18-2005, 04:11 PM
the angled sides up top help keep crap out of it, but they also like to catch you outerware and put hole in it

PHIL_B54
05-18-2005, 04:13 PM
the angled part here is to clear your rear brake

PHIL_B54
05-18-2005, 04:51 PM
i got mine from ebay, but here are a couple things to note when building one.

1) the battery hold down needs to be tight, or your battery will vibrate around. I ended up using peices of a blown inner tube under the battery to tighten / lessen vibration

2)when i got this box, it came with a strap of metal used to connect the solenoid directly to the battery. i did not put any loctite on it, so it vibrated off in the middle of little sahara, and either fried itself or rattled around in there til it broke. the stocker is way expensive, so i bought a lawnmower one for $12 and bolted it to the box....my solenoid is under that mess of wires.

3)my ground goes directly to the box, so you have to make sure you have a good ground between the box/frame

4) you can see that my fender brackets hit on my angle brackets that hold the box up. they also have rubber between them and the frame

5) try to put your rectifier farther back, or at an angle...my rectifier is in the way if you try to remove the battery

if you need anything specific, just ask, and i will see if i can help out

PHIL_B54
05-18-2005, 04:57 PM
i did want to point out that i mention things vibrating apart several times. i dont think i can blame much of this on the box. most of it i blame on the White Bros R4 pipe i had..... the one with the solid mount. i lost a lot of bolts with that pipe. i also now put a drop of locktite on EVERYTHING, and my hmf is mounted on the stock rubber mounts

trayscool
05-22-2005, 07:28 PM
Hey guys I have one too on my 400. I think its cool to have everything in the box BUT changing the air filter is really hard because everything is packed inside there. I would take pics but I dont have a digi cam sorry. I have a KnN filter kit but I think I might change it to something smaller so its easier to change out

blue416ex
05-22-2005, 07:31 PM
i moved mine so now its under the hood in between the shock mounts it worked good at the track today:devil:

prepracing
05-22-2005, 07:56 PM
I got one off ebay, I don't remember the name but in the pic. on the description it has an american flag in the background. The only thing I have to do to get my airfilter out is pull my relay out of its rubber holder and hold it up while pulling the airfilter back out of the breather tube. The only weak point I have had so far is the rear mounting bracket is lightweight aluminum and it cracked. But it is just a standard piece of angle so I replaced it with a stainless steel piece and it works great. Mine also has a lid but I have found running an outerwears box cover keeps everything just as clean, except in really water/mud conditions ( like 04' Ironman, 05'Steelecreek, 05'LorettaLynns) I ran the lid and outerwears box lid.