PDA

View Full Version : Sunk the quad

awj8074
05-16-2005, 11:46 AM
Went riding the other day and decided to go through a tunel under the highway. Its one of the dranage tunnels for streams to flow through. Anyway it was only about 3-4 inches deep but when i came out the other side it just droped off to about 4 feet. I hit the kill switch just as it started to sink and jumped off. When i got off it floated to the top and i pulled it to the side. It took about 10 or 11 kicks to start and eveytime i kicked it water shot out the pipe. It started and ran fine so i rode back to my truck and brought it home and changed the oil. If it started up and ran fine it should be ok right? There was no water in the air box and i think the water shooting out of the pipe was just sitting inside the muffler.

Xowner
05-16-2005, 01:14 PM
was the oil clean? and you said air box was dry? how about the gas tank? also the vent tube pull that out and tip the bike up on the grab bar water likes to sit in the steering steem and clogs the vent tube

if all that is good i would say your allright as long as it didnt get in the engine if it did WATCH OUT RUST!

bwamos
05-16-2005, 02:07 PM
Just sounds like you forgot to sit it up on it's hindquarters to drain out the pipe.

You should be fine.

awj8074
05-16-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Xowner
was the oil clean? and you said air box was dry? how about the gas tank? also the vent tube pull that out and tip the bike up on the grab bar water likes to sit in the steering steem and clogs the vent tube

if all that is good i would say your allright as long as it didnt get in the engine if it did WATCH OUT RUST! the oil was clean it looked like it should after only 2 rides. After kicking it twice and seeing water shoot out i tiped it up to drain it. The tank didnt go under so i dont think theres water in the gas. The reason i was worried about the airbox is becuase i have no cover on the box. also put a new airfilter in.

awj8074
05-16-2005, 02:39 PM
i bought a new plug but didnt put it in. its probly the most expensive plug ive ever had to buy. 17dollars

Towdy
11-06-2005, 01:17 PM
I need help my nephew all but sank my trx 450R yesterday The air box had water and sand in it. The exaust was completely full of water. I have not tried to start it. I drained the oil. A friend told me to flush the crank case with gas and i did. I removed the spark plug and saw sand in the motor. I pored gas down the spark plug whole too. I worked the kick start to flush the motor. Did I make a big mistake? What NOW? HELP HELP

watts16
11-06-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Towdy
I need help my nephew all but sank my trx 450R yesterday The air box had water and sand in it. The exaust was completely full of water. I have not tried to start it. I drained the oil. A friend told me to flush the crank case with gas and i did. I removed the spark plug and saw sand in the motor. I pored gas down the spark plug whole too. I worked the kick start to flush the motor. Did I make a big mistake? What NOW? HELP HELP

umm did you crank it when there was sand in the cylinder?

Towdy
11-06-2005, 05:07 PM
NO

450R_lover
11-07-2005, 09:15 AM
I did something like this when i first got mine and it was so bad that the oil was white in the tranny and in the engine side. I had to change the oil about 10 times to get it back to normal again.... but even after that ... it runs fine.