PDA

View Full Version : Back Brakes

Blunts
05-16-2005, 09:48 AM
Hi all.
I'm not that mechanically inclined but I am giving it a try. I'm new to working on fourswheelers.

I have a 2000 400 ex.
The back brake is sticking. I push it down and it stays down. Do you think my cable is freezing up? should i just use some lube? what can i do to get it functioning properly again.

Sorry for the dumb questions. Still learning. and thanks.

Also, My stearing is really tight. i sprayed it with wd40 and it loosesn right up but after a day of riding becomes pretty stiff again. what can i do to lube it up so it turns better? and where thanks all.

400exrider707
05-16-2005, 10:50 AM
You might just be missing the return spring for the brake pedal. Also for you steering, take apart the top clamp that holds the stem to the frame and put some grease in there.

JOEX
05-16-2005, 11:42 AM
Remove the brake pedal, clean and regrease the shaft. Do it now while you still can;)

Blunts
05-16-2005, 12:21 PM
I appreciate the replies. thaks in advance.

The spring is still on there. it was getting stiff last fall and i didnt ride it at all this winter so now i'm getting it ready for the spring. Jumped on it and noticed how hard it was to move the brake lever. I'll try taking it apart and cleaning it.

What do you suggest i use for lubrication on the steering stem and brake lever?

JOEX
05-16-2005, 03:26 PM
I just use regular automotive grease. Marine grease might be a good idea.

zlam27
05-17-2005, 07:31 PM
there is no cable to lube for the rear brake, its a hydraulic disc brake (like on a car). i would pull the brake lever off and put some grease on the peg where it mounts. if that doesnt do it, you might have to pull off the rear caliper and clean that up a little. if thats the case, you might need some help or advice, just let us know....

for the steering you will have to loosen the front plastic to get to the upper steering stem bracket. loosen the 2 bolts holding it on and pull the rubber stabilizer thing out and put a good coat of grease on it. if its still too stiff, stick a small washer between the frame part of the bracket and the outer part where they sqeeze together, this way the bracket wont squeeze the rubber piece so tightly and cause hard steering.

good luck, hope this helps.

zach

Blunts
05-18-2005, 06:39 AM
hey thanks alot for all the advice. Glad i found this site.

I'm gonna try doing all this tomorow after work.

Blunts
05-20-2005, 10:19 AM
thanks everyone. I took apart the back brakes, My pads were shot. one more ride and i would have had to replace the caliper probably too. I took off the brake lever and greased it all up. put it back together and it works like new...

Steering i just lubed a little seems to be working better, i also cleaned my foam airfilter with some gas and sprayed this sticky **** on it that my brother told me to use. Greased the chain and all that good stuff. now on to the oil change.

Just wanted to say thank you to the people who posted and tried to help me. I appreciate it. thanks.

~Ben (aka) Blunts