PDA

View Full Version : Dual exhaust?!?

BigCracka
05-16-2005, 02:07 AM
I am doing a 250x/350x conversion and i am wanting to custom build a dual exhaust system the problem I am having is knowing what mufflers I should use to get flow but not too much flow out of this type of set-up...we have thought about using some banshee mufflers but have no idea how much flow they have to create enough back pressure. any suggestions are welcome.

2004exrider
05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
2 hmf's would sound pretty good:D

6858-400ex
05-16-2005, 07:17 AM
obviously a 2 stroke pipe would have differnt flow than a 4 stroke:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

2004exrider
05-16-2005, 07:23 AM
oops...had 400ex on my mind. guess i need to read better

BigCracka
05-16-2005, 11:41 AM
thats why i am asking about this....i figured a 2 stroke silencer would have dif flow for the muffler ....thats why im asking for suggestions on the mufflers

400exredrider
05-16-2005, 01:46 PM
just use two glasspacks

2004exrider
05-16-2005, 02:25 PM
alrite... im not a big 2 stroke pro but i dont think its really the silencers that will matter, it will be the pipes themselves (expansion chambers) those create the pos. back pressure you need. alls the mufflers will do is quiet the thing down, so in my opinoin try and find some silencers that dont have to big an opening and they should be fine.

bwamos
05-16-2005, 02:58 PM
Just as a note a 2 into 1 exaust if tuned right will gain you more power than 2 seperate exhausts.

On a 2-cylinder engine:
When tuned right the exaust passes through the Y at the same time the exhaust valve opens from the other cylinder. The exhaust passing through the Y causes a vaccume on the other header helping the exhaust gasses excape the cylinder faster and with more velicity, giving you more HP and Torque.

On a single cylinder engine the same thing can be done although a little more tricky. Basically the Pulses of exhaust gasses need to fall in between each other. THat's why one exhaust pipe at the header end is usually longer than the other.

Clear as mud?

It won't make that much difference though. But a dual exhaust setup is going to be tricky. You have your electronics on the left side of the quad.. as well as the reverse lever. Also the left side plastics on the Rear of the quad arent formed to go around the pipe like it is on the right side.

2004exrider
05-16-2005, 03:39 PM
When tuned right the exaust passes through the Y at the same time the exhaust valve opens from the other cylinder.

???????????????????hes talkin bout a 2 stroke

BigCracka
05-16-2005, 03:44 PM
well i have the exhaust manifuld figured out and what i need to do...does anyone have suggestions on any type of mufflers...need something that will keep the noise down and provide decent backpressure...<ben stein voice> anyone? anyone?

MarkyNark
05-16-2005, 06:43 PM
I know I've talked my head off about LTE - All I can say is that I have very good low end torque with excellent ramp up revs. Max HP increase is now 6.5 over stock.

Here is an older dyno.

http://www.on-dunes.com/forums/fileattachments/LTE400EXDYNO.jpg

MadMax27
05-16-2005, 07:57 PM
Hey, how does that LTE sound? Id get it just for the rumble. My bike has plenty of snot, so if its less power than say a LRD, I dont care, I wanna be able to hear when Im done riding.....

MarkyNark
05-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Its got a deep throaty sound - Everyone thinks it sounds and looks cool. I understand what you say about hearing - I also want to be able to hear the other quad coming in order to get out of the way.

PS the LRD and LTE are close in terms of HP, with the LTE slightly better. All that power and you dont even have to run the quiet core in the LTE to keep her at DB legal limits. Its also stainless, the LRD Pro4 for the EX is not.