PDA

View Full Version : painting your plastic

*FoX*KiD*
05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
has anyone ever tried to paint there plastic
i tried painting it with and undercoating you would use on your truck and i sandblasted my plastic first and it still jsut whiped right off i let it dry for like 2 days too it didnt stick at all

and suggestions or any product made for this???

Mxjunkie
05-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Krylon Fushion plasitc paint, its full chipresitant in 7 days ;)

05-18-2005, 09:10 PM
I dono, I bet I would have any paint job looking like chit in 2 hrs on my quad. not on someone eltses quad tho, I only beat on mine.

has anyone every dyed the plastic before??

Rico400
05-18-2005, 09:28 PM
i was wondering if you could dye it also a few weeks ago. if you can i dont think you would be able to get a good color except maybe black

dopeyferree
05-19-2005, 04:24 AM
The Krylon Fusion Plastic Paint works great. Here is mine, it was done with the Krylon Fusion. I have run 2 races so far and its still looking pretty good.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid162/p789de10b53690cf00f7600e4a400a4e6/f4a8ca4c.jpg

05-19-2005, 05:55 AM
better put your case saver back on!

Jake250ex
05-19-2005, 10:29 AM
sandblasting :eek2: never sandblast plastic!!

try dry sanding it with 220, then go to wetsand 400. I have found if you use krylon prime the paint itself will look much better and last longer. Then once you paint it, clear coat it. It looks like a professional auto paintjob when done right.

Black250EX
05-19-2005, 08:13 PM
I just found out today that you can powdercoat plastic. All you need to know is that if your plastics can resist heat then you can powder coat plastic and plus just to let you know there are a couple of types of powder coating one of them is baking the paint on the plastic. That's if the plastic can resist that much heat. I know mine did and they came out great.

CannondaleRider
05-19-2005, 09:11 PM
Here ya go

1. Take the plastic and rub it lightly with some 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY, otherwise you will leave deep scratch that will show.

2. Clean the plastic really well with a tack cloth. Then use brake cleaner in the folds and bends to get any grease and grime out.

3. Use a good cleaner with ammonia or rubbing alcohol. Something that will not leave a film.

4. Put on the first coat as more of a speckle job. Do not try and cover everything on the first couple of coats. Make them thin. And do at least three coats to cover the whole thing in the first 24 hours, But not to close together.

5. Let sit AT LEAST 5-7 days to harden and dry, Then apply another coat or two.

6. Wait until the tack is gone on the final coat you apply. And then use a clear acrylic coating. Do not get very close to the paint when using the clear coat. Always stay a foot back or you will cause an 'orange peel' effect. I like to spend 2-3 days with the clear coat. Usually about 2 cans for the rear and 2 cans for the front.

7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! After it dries for a couple of days. Put it in the tub and wet sand LIGHTY with 1500 grit paper. You must wet sand! It will make the surface very smooth and slick. That helps it not to chip and does not give place for mud to stick and make it start flaking. Be very careful on the edges, those are the first place that it's going to chip.

If you take your time with Fusion and do it right, you can get some fantastic results. And with the cheap price of red and about $20 of Fusion and clear coat you can have any color you want.

dopeyferree
05-20-2005, 04:17 AM
When I did mine I chose not to put the clear on so that I can touch up any areas that get scuffed up easier.

insaneracin2003
05-20-2005, 08:18 AM
where can i buy some of this fusion paint?local auto parts store or paint supply place?

dopeyferree
05-20-2005, 08:37 AM
Walmart has it.

insaneracin2003
05-20-2005, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by dopeyferree
Walmart has it.
Wally-World here I come :devil:

eagertorace
05-20-2005, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by CannondaleRider
Here ya go

1. Take the plastic and rub it lightly with some 200 grit sandpaper. LIGHTLY, otherwise you will leave deep scratch that will show.

2. Clean the plastic really well with a tack cloth. Then use brake cleaner in the folds and bends to get any grease and grime out.

3. Use a good cleaner with ammonia or rubbing alcohol. Something that will not leave a film.

4. Put on the first coat as more of a speckle job. Do not try and cover everything on the first couple of coats. Make them thin. And do at least three coats to cover the whole thing in the first 24 hours, But not to close together.

5. Let sit AT LEAST 5-7 days to harden and dry, Then apply another coat or two.

6. Wait until the tack is gone on the final coat you apply. And then use a clear acrylic coating. Do not get very close to the paint when using the clear coat. Always stay a foot back or you will cause an 'orange peel' effect. I like to spend 2-3 days with the clear coat. Usually about 2 cans for the rear and 2 cans for the front.

7. VERY IMPORTANT STEP! After it dries for a couple of days. Put it in the tub and wet sand LIGHTY with 1500 grit paper. You must wet sand! It will make the surface very smooth and slick. That helps it not to chip and does not give place for mud to stick and make it start flaking. Be very careful on the edges, those are the first place that it's going to chip.

If you take your time with Fusion and do it right, you can get some fantastic results. And with the cheap price of red and about $20 of Fusion and clear coat you can have any color you want.

can you change colors? I have red fenders and want to change to white. I'm worried about the red bleeding thru, send pm, thanks

omaits
05-20-2005, 09:30 PM
I am really interested in this as well. I also have red and would like to go to a lighter color.

Mxjunkie
05-20-2005, 09:46 PM
Mine were red and black before and I had no problems :)

eagertorace
05-20-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
Mine were red and black before and I had no problems :)

will you post a before and after pic? also what about the quality? I'm sure if it's done right (compared to aftermarket plastic)

Robin Hood
05-20-2005, 10:26 PM
If you guys could post some pics of the process or even before and afters would be great, I dont know what method I should use to change my rappy plastics colors... Want them either silver, white or black. Any suggestions?

Great thread!

Mxjunkie
05-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by eagertorace
will you post a before and after pic? also what about the quality? I'm sure if it's done right (compared to aftermarket plastic)

heres before

Mxjunkie
05-21-2005, 08:26 AM
After, I prepped them very well.

omaits
05-21-2005, 09:24 AM
how about after you rode it for a few months? (fading, chipping, scratching)

05-21-2005, 07:26 PM
dont paint black,!. that will look bad after about 2 secconds, no matter how nice the paint job is. silver hides dirt good, along with white is okay.. but black is horible. my fiend has a 05 450r that is black, he has had it for l3 weeks and the plastics look like ***** compard to my 2001 400ex (red). dont paint black what ever you do.!

*FoX*KiD*
06-16-2005, 05:12 PM
ok well i am done with this prject now and you know it looks great i acually used this plastic paint i dont know who makes it but it is a textured paint its black with silver flake in it and it works great i sandblasted the plastic with a fine grit and then painted 3 coats on and then 2 coats of clear coat and it just looks great best looking 90 i've ever seen!

i will post pictures soon

06-16-2005, 06:33 PM
I would like to hear how it holds up.