PDA

View Full Version : torque wrench and locktite?

400exrider26
05-15-2005, 07:30 PM
Does everyone use a torque wrench and locktite or lock tight (how do u spell it?) to take apart and put togathor their atv's? The manuel suggests to use a torque wrench but do i have to use them for everything? also, do you guys use that locktite stuff to re-assemble your atv's? im not sure if it would be good to or not to use.... thanks

6858-400ex
05-15-2005, 08:58 PM
depending which color red id super hard to get off

and green, blue

cals400ex
05-15-2005, 09:01 PM
i would use a torque wrench and locktite on everything recommended. i usually use the blue stuff.

project R
05-15-2005, 09:04 PM
When it comes to engine parts and the like, yes I do use a torque wrench, but for most common things its not usually necessary. As for loctite, after doing my winter rebuild I swear by the stuff, I use blue and it really keeps everything in place.

polaris bob
05-16-2005, 12:55 AM
When it comes to a quad and blue loctite, they are best friends! Unless it is a sheet metal screw, loctite it!!

Besides the plastic and a few sheet metal screws, which will get no benefit from it, there is really nothing you can hurt by using a little loctite on it!

You can even loctite those ny-lock nuts if you want to! Just don't go crazy with the stuff a little dab on the threads is all you need on most bolts!

400exrider26
05-16-2005, 03:56 AM
where can i pick up some locktite and how much would it cost(blue stuff right?)? do they have a website? how much does a decent torque wrench cost-like 100$? and i want the torque wrenches that measure in ibs, Ft not inches right? sorry for all the questions...

polaris bob
05-16-2005, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider26
where can i pick up some loctite and how much would it cost(blue stuff right?)? do they have a website? how much does a decent torque wrench cost-like 100$? and i want the torque wrenches that measure in lbs., Ft not inches right? sorry for all the questions...

Any auto supply store will have it. As for a torque wrench, while you can get cheap ones at harbor freight, I use the ones you can get at sears, not real spendy but seem to hold up rather well.

If you are only going to buy one, then get a 3/8's drive foot lbs one. Next would be a 1/4 in drive in lbs one and then a 1/2 in drive foot lbs one would be the last and biggest you should ever need.

The main difference between the 3/8's and the 1/2 in. ones are the torque range they go up to. Just remember that a torque wrench is most accurate in the middle of its range!

bwamos
05-16-2005, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider26
where can i pick up some locktite and how much would it cost(blue stuff right?)? do they have a website? how much does a decent torque wrench cost-like 100$? and i want the torque wrenches that measure in ibs, Ft not inches right? sorry for all the questions...

Blue LockTite can be found pretty much anywhere. Wallmart, K-Mart, AutoParts, etc. It's about $4.00

Yea you want a Ft-Lbs torque wrench. But the only place you need one is on the Engine if you do a teardown. Otherwise just hand tighten.

For the torque Wrench try http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=239

Super Cheap and works like a charm. It's the exact one I use when out in the field.. and works as well as my $100 shop one. Use the chaep one on the field incase it gets stolen. ;)

TC426EX
05-16-2005, 10:20 AM
Yeah you really only need a torque wrench on the engine bolts if you take that apart. Everything else on the body and such really doesnt need to be torqued, just tightened.... Blue Loctite is great and I use it on almost everything. If you buy the red stuff and ever try to get it apart, have fun, you usually have to heat it....

400exrider26
05-16-2005, 02:06 PM
holy crap that harborfreight tourge wrench is like 10.00! that is wicked cheap!!!! how can that work good if it only costs 10? do i want the 3/8 one or the 1/2 one? would that wrench (either the 3/8 or the 1/2) work well for the torque specs on my quad?

bwamos
05-16-2005, 02:43 PM
Get the 1/2" one. Stonger Sockets.

THen you can use a 1/2 => 3/8 adapter if you need one (get one for impact drivers).

400exrider26
05-16-2005, 03:07 PM
but isnt the 3/8 one more suitable for the jobs i will be doing on my quad..? it is like a happy middle isnt it, aint to small and it isnt as big a the 1/2... would it be better for me to get the one that you can pre-set and that clicks when you get to that torque or the ones that have a meter on it that measures the torque as you tighten the bolt???? want to make a good decision before i just go out and by one...

Buffalo400
05-16-2005, 03:34 PM
For the engine, blue locktite is it good for cam sprocket bolt (I ask this question because blue locktite is not a high temp locktite....)

thanks

400exrider26
05-17-2005, 03:47 AM
bump

bwamos
05-17-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Buffalo400
For the engine, blue locktite is it good for cam sprocket bolt (I ask this question because blue locktite is not a high temp locktite....)

thanks

Blue works great for that. I have blue on mine and it stayed just fine for about 2-1/2 years. It's hard enough to get it loose with the blue (just did it 3 weeks ago). Red would be damn near impossible w/o using a torch which you might not want to use on an engine full of oil. ;)

cals400ex
05-17-2005, 10:23 AM
you can probably get manual torque wrench for cheap. a clicker will be more expensive probably. i prefer the 1/2 inch drive one. mine goes from 10ft-lbs to 150. this covers most jobs on the bike. i honestly would get one that goes up to at least 100ft-lbs. not often will you go that high on your atv, but i do for torquing wheels on my car for example.