PDA

View Full Version : just got my 450r - ride review

nowukno
05-15-2005, 03:11 PM
I got my black 450r on friday and i rode friday night and all day saturday (trial riding) , its completly stock. At first i could not get used to the tall first gear but after riding for awhile i got used to it , starting is a breeze , i dont think the front end is light at all , its very fast and handles awesome and i love the brakes , i raced a pipe/jetted raptor and won by 3-4 lenghts and i beat a piped/jetted dvx400 by 7-8 lenghts , i have fallen in love with this atv:D . My only question is that i would still like just a tad more low end (first gear) , i have a hmf bill ballance carbon fiber slip-on exhaust on the way , how much will it help out? I dont wanna put a 13t sprocket on. But i think the hmf ballance pipe will be just what i need , what do u think? Also there is a slight ticking noise at idle but the dealer said this was normal , is he correct?

05-15-2005, 04:29 PM
that slip-on exhaust is very good for the 450r, you will love it. you will have to rejet your main though to probably a 128.

as for the ticking at idle. The compunds used to mold the engine are supoosedly really light so vibrations are ehard easily or something through the motor...try adjusted your idle to see if it helps.

trx450Rrider
05-15-2005, 05:17 PM
every 450r has that ticking noise

WhiteZee
05-15-2005, 05:24 PM
the pipe will give you a noticable amount of bottom end power, i would still go with at least a 39t rear sprocket if you trail ride. about jetting, if you leave the airbox lid on, you will not need to rejet. iv been riding my with the stock main jet for over a year now.

Trx450always
05-15-2005, 07:04 PM
take off the lid and put in a 175 main! and get a hrc needle.

DirtDevilBT
05-15-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by Trx450always
take off the lid and put in a 175 main! and get a hrc needle.

Sounds a bit much but it all depends on where he's riding. I would definatly take the lid off and rejet. Honda likes to jet their bike really lean from factory. The 118 is rediculus. With my mods I run a 165 at around 5.5k feet and 170 in the high desert near 2k feet and at Glamis it's close to 200. (haven't gotten the Glamis one right yet)

nowukno
05-15-2005, 08:19 PM
thanks for all the info you have been very helpful

WhiteZee
05-15-2005, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
Sounds a bit much but it all depends on where he's riding. I would definatly take the lid off and rejet. Honda likes to jet their bike really lean from factory. The 118 is rediculus. With my mods I run a 165 at around 5.5k feet and 170 in the high desert near 2k feet and at Glamis it's close to 200. (haven't gotten the Glamis one right yet)
dont you think if a 118 was rediculously lean some people would be burning their pistons up???

the reason they use a 118 is because the stock intake is very restrictive.

Punk'd
05-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Its a awesome bike man. I LOVE mine to death wouldnt trade it for anything!

DirtDevilBT
05-16-2005, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by WhiteZee
dont you think if a 118 was rediculously lean some people would be burning their pistons up???

the reason they use a 118 is because the stock intake is very restrictive.
Well, I'm not saying this or that, just from my own experience. When I did a plug check when the thing was completly stock, it seemed very white=very lean. It just seems there is a history of Honda making sure emissions aren't a problem. Now this is only taken from a few 400ex owners but they said their bike really woke up after some jetting changes only and that it seems Honda runs them lean. So, it's neither here nor there, one person to anothers opinion. Don't simply trust a "you'll be okay" but that proper jetting and safety can only be achieved by plug checks.

wOOter
05-16-2005, 01:02 PM
I belive the 450r's have a gear driven counter balance this would be my guess as to the ticking sound you describe so im sure your probably alright

-enjoy your new toy

turboTony
05-16-2005, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by DirtDevilBT
they said their bike really woke up after some jetting changes only and that it seems Honda runs them lean.

actually, running lean gains you the most power. You're bike will never feel as fast as it will right before melting a piston... :devil:

DirtDevilBT
05-17-2005, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by turboTony
actually, running lean gains you the most power. You're bike will never feel as fast as it will right before melting a piston... :devil:
:D lol, but for those few minutes you'll be king of the hill!:macho :D

MR.BIG
05-17-2005, 01:26 PM
If you put a cam, complete exhaust, take off air box lid you will be amazed how much this wakes the 450r up. I changed my tires to 18" holeshots so that changed the gearing a little bit which is perfect for me. With what I have I went from the stock 118 main jet to a 190.