PDA

View Full Version : loss in power!

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 10:45 AM
We went to the dunes yesterday and half a tank of gas later, we noticed a significant loss in power. First we noticed the choke cable was a LITTLE pulled out, we correctly that and did notice it made a very small difference.But the problem is, it doesnt build power quickly from mid to top end .There no power from mid to top AT ALL.It starts fine, revs slow,even when its in nuetral it revs slow and we took it up a hill climb that it has ran up many times and usually ripping it up in third gear could BARALY make it up in first gear!!!!

We re-jetted since it was a little warmer yeserday,but ran it a fw wks ago for the WORCS race and it ran like a mad man ,even top end power was excellent. We a little stumped on what it could be ,Vavles maybe ?? Timing>?? MAybe its just a POS?? LOL !! I think everyone here pretty much knows that all these are newer parts so were at a loss on what the issues could be?? Any imput from the experienced would be very appreciated...

seven
05-15-2005, 01:49 PM
Make sure your choke isnt sticking, take the carb apart and clean it

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by seven
Make sure your choke isnt sticking, take the carb apart and clean it Already was done and still made minimal difference. :(

tucson450r
05-15-2005, 03:25 PM
I have a friend with a 04 tld and he started having the same problem (sounds like it). He has close to the same setup you have and as the temp went up he had to come way back on the jets. He normally runs a 45 pilot and 200 main. Now runs a 35 pilot and 188 main. That seemed to do the trick. Good luck post what you find

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 03:31 PM
We run approx a 172 right now . Jetting should be fairly close ;) its not loading up, hiccuping, we have messed with the choke, CDI, jetting, filter,fuel screw, checked the intake boot,pulled the choke and lubed even with a little grease,carb is clean, so is filter. This just didnt gradually start doing this, is was instantanious.

polaris bob
05-15-2005, 04:52 PM
Have you checked the plug?

Check your flywheel key.

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by polaris bob
Check your flywheel key. good Idea!! Thanks ! If that werde the issues, would that be the result of lack of power?? Can you explain a little bit on the flywheel??? Would you be willing to give me a call?? Or I can call you??? Troy has some questions for you...

polaris bob
05-15-2005, 04:55 PM
Also have your tried swapping back in the stock CDI?

From what you are saying is sounds like it is in the electrical system.

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by polaris bob
Also have your tried swapping back in the stock CDI?

From what you are saying is sounds like it is in the electrical system. HPD and Doug said there is no fine line on a CDI, it works or it doesnt work. Also, doug tested our CDI a fwe months ago and it was fine .

polaris bob
05-15-2005, 05:11 PM
It sounds like it could be a stupid type of thing. Either the flywheel key is snapped and has shifted a little or the cdi might be acting up. Could even be a bad ground or something like that.

Have you tried switching between the different CDI maps.

calds650
05-16-2005, 06:27 AM
Have you done a air leak down test

QuadJunkies
05-16-2005, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by calds650
Have you done a air leak down test Im not sure what that is??? :confused: NO, we havent done too much yet, we wanted to get some feedback first we will be tearing into it today. :) Air leak test fomr where???

calds650
05-16-2005, 01:12 PM
If engine runs spray carb cleaner at carb if it stalls you have an air leak around the carb check carb mounting boot. With stock carb check diaphragm for tears.

To due a leak down place Piston at TDC block off exhaust and intake. Add about 5 PSI of vacuum. If all is ok it should hold if not check valves, rings, and head gasket

MR.BIG
05-17-2005, 09:23 AM
Not necessary!

QuadJunkies
05-18-2005, 12:02 AM
I havent got the full story yet, but there was metal found :( pro. a sheered key, prol. a new piston will be needed I PRAY to God the cylinder is still good! :mad: these would all explain loss in power too. This piston is fairly new , Ill know more hopefully tomorrow . :ermm:

Its always something keeping us from investing in suspention, Im beginning to think we NEVER will have any.

QuadJunkies
05-18-2005, 09:56 PM
I forgot to ask, what would cause the oil to get hashed so fast?? It had new oil in the day before riding and after only a few hours of riding, the oil was totally hashed.. Could it be the Clutch plates are going bad?? The oil has NEVER done this before :confused:

Greenroom
05-19-2005, 08:36 AM
You guy's have been very patient with that quad of yours Tina. I love my 03 however I'm not sure I could keep my chin up for so long.:( Good luck.

QuadJunkies
05-19-2005, 08:43 AM
Thanks, Oh trust me........ its about to get 86'ed out of our garage any minute now ....:mad: Im tired of it not running consistantly, and not getting any suspention for the darn thing! :ermm:

praetorian
05-19-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
I forgot to ask, what would cause the oil to get hashed so fast?? It had new oil in the day before riding and after only a few hours of riding, the oil was totally hashed.. Could it be the Clutch plates are going bad?? The oil has NEVER done this before :confused:

My oil was going rapidly as well. We swapped out new Clutch steels and fibers and all is well. When your clutch is bad, your motors working but you arent getting any umph. Working your engine hard like that breaks down the oil quicker. When your clutch is good, you are not working the engine as hard because you are actually getting power from it.

I was told to change my oil after every race and every other race at the longest.

QuadJunkies
05-19-2005, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by praetorian
My oil was going rapidly as well. We swapped out new Clutch steels and fibers and all is well. When your clutch is bad, your motors working but you arent getting any umph. Working your engine hard like that breaks down the oil quicker. When your clutch is good, you are not working the engine as hard because you are actually getting power from it.

I was told to change my oil after every race and every other race at the longest.

the quad is not "building power", its not revving up, its a lack of power issue not clutch related.;)Its not like the clutch is slipping , we just had the plates inspected a month ago and havent rode it much since . We change the oil every 8-9 hours or as needed. If it needs it after every race, then we do so, but the oil has NEVER looked like this before. thanks for the advice

QuadJunkies
05-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Well, Troy and I both had a very long talk about it and .....We dicided were not fixing it this time.. Were sellin out :( The cost is getting just too ridiculous and its totally taking the fun out of riding it anymore.This was a very hard decicion for us, TRoy is really down and out about it, even after all the crap we have had to deal with, he still loves this machine.It shouldnt be that every time you ride it you wonder whats gonna blow up next. Ill be posting all the aftermarket in the for sale section hopefully this week. Im just sad cause he will be w/o a ride until we can figure out what to get ,if anything.

thanks for all your help guys.....

calds650
05-20-2005, 08:52 AM
if you like the Predator just get a 05 and trsnfer parts over and sell the 03 just keep the engine stock.

QuadJunkies
05-20-2005, 09:47 AM
IF we buy antoher , I think this time we will stick with a Honda ;)

Besides, its ALOT easier to ride on a MX track :)

BlueZ440
05-21-2005, 10:08 AM
Bye Bye predator..Bring home the HONDA..:D

QuadJunkies
05-21-2005, 07:09 PM
Im so F;ing pissed off right now at our motor builder I could SCREAM!!!:mad: Troy is tearing it down and wait unt il you see the pics I took! Cams broke in HALF!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :huh Im tired of playing nice about this whole thing.

QuadJunkies
05-21-2005, 07:10 PM
:rolleyes: who knows what else weere gonna find tonight!!!!!!

Natertot426ex
05-21-2005, 10:24 PM
:(

GE4x4
05-22-2005, 06:50 AM
Sounds like you need another engine builder. If this work was just done, something was missed to have that much damage. I feel for you and hope the Predator doesn't get the blame. I just got a 05 and IMHO is much much better then the 03-04. The shifting is butterly smooth, I don't slide forward at all like I did with my 04 because of the seat. The power is awesome and can't beat the features that come with it. Wet weight is only 37lbs more then the 450 R, yet will be easy to get the weight down. You would get a-arms and swing arms for both to set up for TT or MX. Well the Pred would loose more weight because of the steel compared to the aluminum of the R. Put a Yoshi carbon fiber and loose almost 10lbs. Predator tires and rims weight 13lbs more then the R, so when both have the same the Pred gains another 13 lbs on the R. I'm not saying the R is not a great quad, but everyone has one and it's nice to see a Predator kicking butt against them.:D But whatever you get, have fun.

QuadJunkies
05-22-2005, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Sounds like you need another engine builder. If this work was just done, something was missed to have that much damage. I feel for you and hope the Predator doesn't get the blame. I just got a 05 and IMHO is much much better then the 03-04. The shifting is butterly smooth, I don't slide forward at all like I did with my 04 because of the seat. The power is awesome and can't beat the features that come with it. Wet weight is only 37lbs more then the 450 R, yet will be easy to get the weight down. You would get a-arms and swing arms for both to set up for TT or MX. Well the Pred would loose more weight because of the steel compared to the aluminum of the R. Put a Yoshi carbon fiber and loose almost 10lbs. Predator tires and rims weight 13lbs more then the R, so when both have the same the Pred gains another 13 lbs on the R. I'm not saying the R is not a great quad, but everyone has one and it's nice to see a Predator kicking butt against them.:D But whatever you get, have fun.

No, I dont totally blame Polaris, but I do blame some of he others, there has been so much carelessness, Im still in shock over all this!
The Honda atctually Troy has better time on right off the bat, its more nimlbe for MX and he just simply rode it well. I wont say its impossible for antoher Predator but its not a thought as this time ;)