PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Question?

unstopable1
05-14-2005, 04:37 PM
I just got my wiring harness hooked up and when I turned the key it turned the starter and everything over but it wouldn't start.I tried to get the spark plug out to see if it was firing but i can find the spark plug tool that came with it.Will a regular deep hole socket work?Also do I have to get a battery charger to charge the battery up or could I jump it over with a regular car battery?I figure the car battery would be to much juice but just looking for some ideas.Any suggestion?

JDiablo
05-14-2005, 04:43 PM
you will have to grind down some of the outside of a 18MM socket to get into there

unstopable1
05-14-2005, 04:45 PM
ok I'll try it later

Thanks

wilkin250r
05-14-2005, 10:12 PM
First of all, you might not really need to grind down the walls on a socket. The size is 18mm, and when I first began changing plugs on a 400EX, my deep socket in my tool kit BARELY fit. I was planning on buying another 18mm expressely to grind down the outside, and I was at Wal-Mart, and they didn't sell individual sockets. I bought a complete set of metric deep sockets, AND IT FIT PERFECTLY! NO GRINDING.

This was years ago, they might have changed, but this was a Stanley deep-socket set in a yellow case. Maybe worth a shot.

On your other question, the answer is YES, you CAN jumpstart your quad with a car battery. They are both 12V systems. It would take me forever to explain, but trust me, the car battery WILL NOT hurt anything. It CAN'T hurt anything.

Trust me, I'm an electrical engineer, the car battery will work fine. If something bad DOES happen, it's not the car battery that did it, something else was broken. It's like using a 5/16 on an 8mm bolt (they are the exact same size) If the bolt breaks, it's because it was weak, not because you used the wrong size.

unstopable1
05-14-2005, 11:53 PM
OK Thanks,I think I might have figured it out.Whenever you hit the start button the starter will turn over and everything like its trying to start but the engine won't turn over.Its like the engine kill switch is on.I may have a wire in the wrong place coming from the engine kill switch.I'm going to try that tommorow when I wake up.

unstopable1
05-15-2005, 04:48 PM
OK today I went out and checked al of my connections and everything is hooked up like its suppoed to be.I even took at meter reader and check the power on all of the connections.I'm getting power everywhere except coming from the coil pack to the spark plug.Is it possible that my coil is bad?All I did was take the herness off to have it powdercoated and put it back on.There is power going in to the coil but none going out.Any help?

polaris bob
05-15-2005, 04:59 PM
Make sure all of your ground connections are good. You will have to scrape off some of the paint at the point where your ground is attached to the frame to get a good connection. Believe me this makes all the difference in the world.

unstopable1
05-15-2005, 08:41 PM
I just went out and sanded the part behind the ignition coil where the ground is conected and still no spark.You said make sure all grounds are good well I have power going to evrything on the bike but the spark plug.Any other suggestions?

prepracing
05-15-2005, 09:12 PM
if there is not metal to metal connection where the subframe connects to the main frame it acts just like a broken ground wire. ( mine did the same thing when I powdercoated and thats where the problem ended up being ) Give that a try

unstopable1
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
But if it was grounded coming from the subframe why would I have power going to my lights and starter?What about the negative ground cable coming from the battery. I have a aluminum airbox and my ground wouldn't reach the frame so I took to metal washers and put it on both sides of the ground wire and bolted them down.Also my subframe never got powdercoated it is chrome.

unstopable1
05-15-2005, 10:10 PM
And you said yours done the same thing.When you say it done the same thing do you mean you had power everywhere on the bike except going to the sprak plug?

prepracing
05-16-2005, 01:53 AM
yeah I had power everywhere mine just wouldn't crank. I think I read your post wrong, you said yours did crank just no fire ( sorry ). All those male/female plugs that are in the harness maybe one came loose somewhere ? I still keep coming back to the ground issue though, if every place that needs to make a ground is not then its not going to have a complete circut everywhere that it needs to. Just keep checking its got to be something simple somewhere. It would be one hec of a coinsidence if your coil just all of a sudden went bad.

unstopable1
05-19-2005, 06:15 PM
Finally!!!!!!!!! I called and talked to colby the other day and the only thing he could come up with was that the coil or spark plug cap magically went bad.Well I ordered one and went out and put it on a little while ago and it started first crank.I had a little bit of smoke at first coming off of the head pipe and I checked to make sure the engine was getting oil running through it and it did.The little bit of smoke was nothing it went away after a few minutes of idling.Thanks everybody and sunday check out the open forum topic spring bling rebuild and I will have the final pictures of it.