PDA

View Full Version : R Wont start after Piston Installation

xxsupra02xx
05-14-2005, 03:44 PM
We have recently Installed a 13:5.1 Wiseco Piston in our Honda 450R, When we rebuilt the engine we followed all the torque specs and used all the seals & installed them correctly. We are now running Cam2 (purple 110oc. Race fuel). When the bike is kicked it will not start, It backfires on occasion but wont start. The only suspicions we have are 1. The crank is out of time 2. The plug is bad & 3. The Jetting needs adjusted. If anyone has had a similar expierience please post .. So we dont have to spend days trying to solve this problem

jeepnrocks
05-14-2005, 04:01 PM
sounds like you cam is 180 degrees out.
the plug is easy enough to check and if your jetting is way off chances are it would still at least start up.
you probably had the piston at top dead center on the intake stroke instead of the combustion stroke.

Ralph
05-14-2005, 05:20 PM
also sometimes it helps going over the valve lash once more. i had similar situation and when i broke it down again it turned out that the timing was fine but i readjusted the valve lash and it started right up.

WhiteZee
05-14-2005, 05:57 PM
the first thing i would do is lean out your air/fuel screw. with the added compression, you should be running really rich if your using your old jeting.

desratt
05-14-2005, 09:43 PM
did you retard your cam?
with that high a comp piston and a wild cam. you probably need to. I made the mistake of not and my piston hit a couple valves. I would double check with the cam company.

also is it harder to kick over? it should be.

Doibugu2
05-14-2005, 10:03 PM
Check your valves.

If it was your jetting it still should start.

Good spark and fuel?

asdf450r
05-15-2005, 11:46 AM
drain some fuel from the bowl, mine wouldnt start either after it sat for the cam installation for about 2 weeks. drained all the old gas out of the bowl and it fired up fine.