PDA

View Full Version : LTE Exhaust & Cam

JOEX
05-13-2005, 10:47 PM
Anyone have any info on what drop in cam will work well with the LTE exhaust system?

I'm currently building a 416 with a Ross 10.8 piston, clean up port and stock carb. I already have a Powerbomb header and E-series which I think will work well. What I like about the LTE is the substantial noise reduction over other aftermarket exhausts which is a big concern out this way;) Quiet cores for most other pipes wont get to 93 db.

I ride in various conditions from tight trails to open dunes, when I get to ride :(

Any info on what cam would compliment the LTE exhaust would be appreciated:)

cals400ex
05-14-2005, 01:15 AM
i was looking for a dyno comparison. however, i can't seem to find it and actually i don't even remember what site i saw this on. there were 2 400ex's that were built pretty similar. i do remember one had a x-6, fcr, aggressive cam (maybe hrc or the old stage 2 hotcam), and a piston. the other had LTE's, xr400 cam (not very aggressive), piston, and 450r carb. the one with the LTE's produced 4 more horsepower if i remember correctly. i don't exactly remember the details but i do remembering people were coming to the conclusion that the LTE's or the 450r carb must have made a decent difference. you don't know how bad i want to try these pipes, but my bike is sold. i realize this response probably didn't help you one bit. i would considering calling randy (looney) up and see if he knows your answer. he seemed like an excellent guy when i emailed him previously. i just don't think he checks his email often because it took quite a while for a response.

JOEX
05-14-2005, 10:53 PM
My original plan was to go with the Hot Cams stage 1 until this LTE deal came up;)

I'd like to get the HRC but it's more than I want to spend and the new Hot Cams isn't available yet. Maybe the current stage two will be the way to go:confused: Hope you can wait a bit longer cal:)

Posting questions on the weekend sucks:p

cals400ex
05-15-2005, 03:55 PM
yeah, i was thinking the same thing the other day... posting questions on the weekends isn't much help. i have ran the stage 1 and the old stage 2 cams. the stage 1 provides a good all around power range. however, it ticks so loud it had to go. the stage 2 definately suits the high rpm lover. i currently run a TC mx grind cam and it provides more midrange than the stage 2. it doesn't rev quite as high as the stage 2 but it does rev higher than the stage 1. do you know when the new stage 2 is supposed to come out? i think that cam would suit quite a few people.

i don't have any problem waiting as long as you need if you think you want them. ;)

JOEX
05-15-2005, 04:03 PM
I don't know when the new cam is supposed to come out, didn't see anything on the Hot Cams site. Probably the week after I get the motor back together:p

I heard the Web 450/451 is a good all-round choice. Not sure of the cost though.

cals400ex
05-15-2005, 04:37 PM
i think most people i talked to actually preferred the web 479 over the 450/451. a high compression piston is recommeneded for both. short valve guides are needed for the 479 i believe. they cost around $170 or so from web. however, all web cams highly recommend hardened rockers because these cams are hard welds. i would call up hotcam before i spent all the cash on these extra parts you need for the web to work properly. heck, i paid $210 or so shipped for my TCmx grind cam when i gave him my stocker. you can also get the TC 926 grind which is his famous woods cam. both of these are drop in so you don't use hardened rockers and mine has the decompression assembly.

JOEX
05-15-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i think most people i talked to actually preferred the web 479 over the 450/451. a high compression piston is recommeneded for both. short valve guides are needed for the 479 i believe. they cost around $170 or so from web. however, all web cams highly recommend hardened rockers because these cams are hard welds. i would call up hotcam before i spent all the cash on these extra parts you need for the web to work properly. heck, i paid $210 or so shipped for my TCmx grind cam when i gave him my stocker. you can also get the TC 926 grind which is his famous woods cam. both of these are drop in so you don't use hardened rockers and mine has the decompression assembly.
I definately want a drop in cam, it's not worth it to me to replace all the other parts.

Is the only way to get the TC cams is directly through him?

cals400ex
05-15-2005, 09:32 PM
i know there is at least one distributor. i honestly don't remember who though. i would make a post of that. TC426 may know that info. he runs the same cam as i do. i will see if i can find that info out.

400exrider26
05-16-2005, 04:28 AM
does anyone now of a website i could go to see the Tc drop in cams, espicially the TC 926 grind cam ..?