PDA

View Full Version : Jeff@Quadshop

05-20-2002, 02:16 PM
Jeff, I just received my new elkas in the mail about a week ago. I finally got them put on and the fronts are great, they sag about 1 inch in the front but the back, which I had the mac daddy kit done to it, sags 2 1/2 inches. it looks kinda funny because the back is sitting so low compared to the front. I was wondering if there is some way I can adjust this so the back doesn't sag so much. I know this is the ex forum but this is for a yamaha raptor. there are just not any good sites out there that offer the information that this forum offers . Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

cdalejef
05-20-2002, 02:33 PM
Ok guys be nice!:D
You can raise the ride heigth by adjusting the preload rings on the spring. Start off with about 2 complete turns and try that, if its still to low go 1 turn. If thats still to low keep going up 1 turn at a time till its sets level.

hope this helps,

05-20-2002, 02:44 PM
Thanks, Jeff

Stunz
05-23-2002, 09:13 AM
Should the quad sit level with or without the rider on it?

cdalejef
05-23-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Stunz
Should the quad sit level with or without the rider on it?
It sits about 1" high in the rear by itself and 1" low with me on it.

SGA
05-23-2002, 11:41 PM
Yeah, my rear sat kind of low also with my rear elka rebuild. I adjusted the preload 1 turn at a time. 4 turns was about right. 6 turns was a little bit too high. I did the suspension setup steps- Measured shock travel front and rear, freesprung length, wheel travel, got the sag to shock travel ratio correct, etc. Seems to handle real well with the rebuilt rear after some short test rides. I'll know this weekend, going to a riding area with some serious X/C sections. Off cambers, whoops, roots, jumps. Hard as you want to make it. Have not had to make any adjustments at all on the front, they came pretty much spot on. Been on a couple of rides on the fronts, they are working great. May have to make some minor adjustments once everything settles in.
You have to fine tune the suspension for YOUR riding style, some riders lean back while riding/racing, some foward. Expect to have to make some minor adjustments after you get some seat time on new shocks.

Oh yeah, my quad sits pretty much level when i'm on it or off.

cdalejef
05-24-2002, 11:11 AM
Sqaxer, (hey isn't a "u" always supposed to follow a "q"):p
Your right all shocks need to have a little tweaking to get them to each persons riding style and tastes. Let me know how your ride goes.

Texan32
05-24-2002, 11:33 AM
i thought i saw in that AXIS manual (someone posed a link and said it was good info) that the bottom frame rails should sit level with the rider on it?!

Don't bash me, that just what i remember reading and i know we are talking about Elka's. but, the info was on how to set up your suspension. Thats all....