PDA

View Full Version : Raptor vs Predator

04EXdude
05-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Sounds like a horror movie.......:D
Anyways, the Preddy boys at work are talking crap about my slow Raptor. Yeah, they beat me but they're not completely stock. They have HMF slip ons and drop in K&Ns along with proper jetting (I'm the one that modded their Preddys) and they run pretty good. I've seen them run with piped YFZs.........
My Raptor is new and barely broke in. I have mods on the way;
HMF full exhaust, K&N Proflow and Dynojet kit.
What do you guys think? Will I take em? I know I'll find out eventually cause we all ride together but I'm just looking for a little insight. How well do you guys do against Predators?

akraptor
05-13-2005, 07:11 PM
you will take them through 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear, but they will have 5th on. they have nice high end power. should be pretty close at 1/4 mile.

250R Baja Rider
05-13-2005, 09:23 PM
I replaced the stock cam with an aftermarket (stage 1) $150

Went up one tooth on the front sprocket. No Predator gets near me:D

Of course, pipe, jets K/N filter to compliment it.

akraptor
05-14-2005, 01:29 AM
is it pretty difficult to install an aftermarket cam? and i should try to go up one tooth up front. then i can really beat my friends pred bad lol. was half a quad length at 1/4 mile with the mods i have right now.

04EXdude
05-14-2005, 08:28 AM
:confused:
Wouldn't going up on the front sprocket kill your acceleration?
We mainly race 300ft. or 1/8 mile.

250R Baja Rider
05-14-2005, 01:45 PM
Yes, in the 1/4 or 1/8 mile drags keep the front sprocket the same or go down.

I went up one tooth since I race desert type of terrains which require more top end speed for loooong periods :D

Sorry for the confusion.

And NO. Changing the cam is not a big deal. If really want to have a real fast raptor, go with the stage 2, but you will need to change your valve springs and perhaps even upgrade to better valves.

Money talks.....Good Luck

Racing Rice
05-18-2005, 08:58 AM
I highly recommend a 12t front sprocket. Never tried racing a predator, so I couldn't tell you who should win.. I will say though, I watch a guy on a Pred smash a DS650 in the 1/4 mile race several times.. They then switched bikes and the guy killed the Predator with the DS650.

Moral of the story... Make sure your a better rider and it wont matter.

04EXdude
05-27-2005, 05:14 PM
OK.....................The mods are complete and I'm going riding with the Predators tomorrow. It feels fast but I don't think it has quite the pull of the Preddys but we'll see. This will be interesting.................Wish me luck........;)

MR.BIG
05-27-2005, 08:47 PM
Get a 450r and you won't have to worry about any predators.

04EXdude
05-27-2005, 09:36 PM
Oh, I'm not worried!..............Its running great and none of us are worried about 450Rs (even the ones that think they're the fastest thing on the internet):blah:

04EXdude
05-28-2005, 06:39 PM
Well, I found out for myself today!
Went riding with the Predators and I must say..............
.............that none of us was expecting this outcome. I handed him his *****. Granted I'm a better rider than the one I raced (the other one had to leave early) but he would still waste me when I was stock. We were on asphalt which is better for the Preddy so it don't lose traction and I was even giving him the jump. Now this is what I call a RAPTOR!

Oh, MR.BIG, I think I'm ready for you too..........:D

bradley300
05-28-2005, 07:31 PM
i figured you would win, a good exhaust does wonders for a raptor

akraptor
05-30-2005, 09:30 PM
ok here are the results from the drag racing i did this weekend.

quads: 98' Banshee. 9k in mods.
04' Pred tld. stock,
04' 400ex. didn't have a chance. lol
and 05' Raptor SE. (mods are listed.)

I beat the pred by 2 quad lengths 9/10 times.

i beat the Banshee by half a quad to his front wheels at my rear 9/10 times.

and i don't know how far back the ex was.

riders had alot to do with it. but we were on hard packed mud flats. so i had now wheel spin. all traction.

Feels good to beat a Shee' with 9k in aftermarket mods lol.

MR.BIG
05-31-2005, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by 04EXdude
.............that none of us was expecting this outcome. I handed him his *****. Granted I'm a better rider than the one I raced (the other one had to leave early) but he would still waste me when I was stock. We were on asphalt which is better for the Preddy so it don't lose traction and I was even giving him the jump. Now this is what I call a RAPTOR!

I will beat you in acceleration not top end.I am running 18" tires so it takes away some of my topend. So are you talking about a drag race or a motorcross track!

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 04:20 AM
ill take you all on!

once i finish :D

MadDog56
06-01-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
ill take you all on!

Sounds like fun, where do I sign up!:)

Mr Big, you should know by now that raptor owners arent typically using thier bikes for mx and that any race would not be on such a track. You spend more time in the raptor section than most raptor owners do... But if you expect to run in a straight line with even some of the mildest internally modified raptors then you will need to do more than change your tire size.

MR.BIG
06-01-2005, 01:18 PM
I wouldn't bet on that! I haven't even done anything internally yet because I don't need too!

ChrisSekerak
06-01-2005, 05:23 PM
A Raptor is not meant to be a mx race machine. It's wayyyyy to heavy and needs better ergo's for racing. I have a very healthy raptor. I was just up at silver lake, very few bikes could keep up with my raptor in a straight line, but on a track they'd kill me. It's 2 totally different racing types.

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 05:33 PM
i dont care what its made for! i feel that it is mostly the rider no matter what so bring it on!!!

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 05:34 PM
i will be posting a sign up list shortly mr big! :devil:

06-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by tater_kamik
ill take you all on!

ill race you with my rappy

06-01-2005, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by ChrisSekerak
A Raptor is not meant to be a mx race machine. It's wayyyyy to heavy and needs better ergo's for racing. I have a very healthy raptor. I was just up at silver lake, very few bikes could keep up with my raptor in a straight line, but on a track they'd kill me. It's 2 totally different racing types.

hey i got up to silver lake all the time i wont to race you some time with my raptor it is knoww a 686

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 07:24 PM
where is silver lake? im always looking for some new riding partners!

06-01-2005, 07:31 PM
it is in MI between shelby and hart its sweet

Robin Hood
06-01-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by ChrisSekerak

They arent just made for straight aways, I ride XC mostly and the rappy pulls through perfectly for me. Drag races are gun too though :p

tater_kamik
06-01-2005, 08:09 PM
that is a little too far away considering im in ar... oh well. what compression are you running in your 686, what all is done and what jetting are you using?

06-01-2005, 08:16 PM
dude i dont know what anything on jetting on it a race team did the motor its just fast as hell i bought it stock and did everything my self but the motor i sent that in ant then i brought it to a race team and they got it runningclean and smoth

MadDog56
06-01-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by MR.BIG
I wouldn't bet on that! I haven't even done anything internally yet because I don't need too!

Then you havent raced a raptor worth mentioning, or a decent rider for that matter.

Nac's, I'd check out tater's build up page before you go challenging him too confidently.

I'd like to race a few of you guys, win or lose it would still be a great time. How about a big Silver Lake trip? I'm planning a trip over the July 4th holiday...

tater_kamik
06-02-2005, 01:29 AM
what makes me fast is all of my stickers!!!

tater_kamik
06-02-2005, 01:49 AM
what is silver lake? mx, sand?

MadDog56
06-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Silver Lake is sand, The only rideable dunes east of the Mississippi I believe.

raptorman2001
06-06-2005, 10:27 AM
i tell you what when i had my raptor i was over surprised how 1000 in the motor improved the preformance considering i used to be a two stroke rider and used to $1000 in the motor was like a baby step for a little hp but here is what i did

k&n air filter
full power core 4 pipe with power bomb header
stage 2 trinity race cams
stage 2 trinity jet kit
stage 3 trinity port and polish ( withch is just like of far as you can go)
trinity piston and rings

everything was trinity becasue that is who i sent the motor to they didnt bore it out or anything and when i had the test dont to see how much hp it had i think stock is 46hp or sumthin my rappy had 60hp because they said that it gave me 14 more over stock
i blew away the 450 with no problem at all and i even had mine low geared for climbing hill i couldnt amagine what it would be like with it high geared:eek2:

tater_kamik
06-06-2005, 04:17 PM
there is no question that the 660 motor is very potent when modified, but is just normal when unmodified. if only yamaha made it with a high comp piston from the factory...

tater_kamik
06-06-2005, 04:19 PM
one of these days i may be able to go up there to silver lake. im a deproved child who has never gone duning!!! :(

RaptorHappy660r
06-21-2005, 12:14 AM
its ok man neither have i we can morne together!!! lol jk :D but i really never have been duning!!

04EXdude
06-21-2005, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by 04EXdude

Last weekend I got to race my other buddies Predator. He's a better rider and his is piped and jetted too. I beat him every race. He couldn't believe it and really nor could I. It seems they have a new found respect for Raptors............ :D
.........................along with riders of 450Rs, YFZs, Banshees, etc. shoot, I was on a ***** kicking roll...........;)
After all this I have come to the conclusion that Raptors aren't near as slow as owners of other quads make them out to be. Who started that stupid rumor?..............:confused: