PDA

View Full Version : Powerbomb And Slip-On Mufflers

NVR2L8
05-20-2002, 01:49 PM
I need to know if the "head pipe to muffler junction" of FMF's Powerbomb is the same as the stock 400EX head pipe. FYI...need to buy a new muffler since my one year old Powercore "Q" is rusted to the stock head pipe and FMF won't warranty it (no product endorsement for FMF from me! :grr ). Anyway, I'm leaning towards either an HMF or Yoshi depending on which one I decide will best complement my 416cc mods without being overly loud, but before I buy I want to make sure a that a standard aftermarket slip-on for the 400EX will fit on the Powerbomb (i.e., is the junction the same diameter as the stock head pipe?).

400exRacerX
05-20-2002, 01:55 PM
Yes the FMF powerbomb's pipe diameter at conjuntion with the silencer is the same diameter as stock. Basically any after market SLIPON will fit the powerbomb header.

If I were you I would just sell it all and buy a LRD or Spark's X-6 complete system.

05-20-2002, 01:57 PM
Yes most slip-ons will fit the powerbong,,but you'll need to remove the small gasket from inside the stock muffler for it to fit correctly,,look inside your stock muffler and you'll see the gasket right inside the end of it,,you can use a scredriver to get it out,,just becareful removing it..:D

PS...Norm he mentioned he wanted a quieter pipe not something that will wake the dead..:eek: ;)

knighttime
05-20-2002, 01:58 PM
FMF mufflers fit the stock headpipe.

All other standard mufflers fit the stock headpipe.

The fmf powerbomb fits the fmf mufflers

SO

if the above is true, which it is, all other aftermarket mufflers designed to fit the stock headpipe should fit the powerbomb header

p.s. use the stock muffler/header pipe connection clamp.

bye

:huh

400exRacerX
05-20-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by Rico

PS...Tommy he mentioned he wanted a quieter pipe not something that will wake the dead..:eek: ;)

:huh I must of went through a identity change?:huh

PS...The LRD is very quiet compared to my old exhuast system,,, but I guess its still very loud:p I guess my ears are used to it by now.:confused:

Kadafiy
05-20-2002, 02:55 PM
The HMF is an awesome pipe but it is kind of loud.

TRFOXX
05-20-2002, 07:42 PM
I know that the Big Gun will not fit on on to the stock header.
So not all slip ons will fit the stock head pipe.

oynot400
05-20-2002, 08:08 PM
The pipe is probably not rusted to the head pipe. I ran into this problem with my FMF. The oring has broken down and that is probably why you can't get it off. This I think is a problem with built motors, they run hotter exhaust temps and the orings break down in time. The way I got mine off was using a big pair of channel locks and twisting it back and forth while pulling back. It is a pain but it should come off.
I contacted FMF about this and they sent me some new orings. I thought that they treated me quite well. However after looking at other pipes I like the construction of other pipes better, such as the PC T-4. The problem is the T-4 has that same oring design, but I like the T-4 a hole lot better. :D

mopar 400
05-20-2002, 11:14 PM
My dad is running the powerbomb with the WB E-series, and the fit is perfect. We both have the 416 kit with Xr400 cams, and I have a Duncan Racing Double barrel exhaust. The powerbomb and E series dynoed about 1.5 horsepower more than my full DR. I am quite impressed with the Powerbomb....

05-21-2002, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by mopar 400
I am quite impressed with the Powerbomb....

See Chad the powerbongs do add HP...;) :devil

ChadEXer
05-21-2002, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by Rico

See Chad the powerbongs do add HP...;) :devil
Not as much as the stock header:D
I just had to!!!

knighttime
05-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by ChadEXer

Not as much as the stock header:D
I just had to!!!

I hope u arent serious Chad/TC.

NVR2L8
05-21-2002, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the comments... FYI, although I can't tell what the problem is, the now "cut off" portion of the head pipe is definitely--and permanently--stuck in the "Q". I tried again last night to convince it to come loose, but I ended up cracking the curved metal part of the silencer. If anyone wants this POS, it's yours! Anyway, FMF has typically treated me fairly well over the past few years, but then again, I've had quite a few problems with their products over the past few years. I'm just ticked to have to trash a one year old $200+ silencer... Now I need to order a Yoshi Comp slip-on with TEC. :D

PsychoDave
05-21-2002, 08:49 AM
WELL YESTERDAY I PUT MY FRIENDS FULL EXHAUST ON MY QUAD....HE HAD A FULL WB "R" SERIES . I JUST HAD A SLIP ON "R". WELL MY BIKE LOST A LOT OF BOTTOM END....BUT IT FLEW ON THE TOP END. I DONT KNOW IF PUTTING IN BIGGER JETS WILL HELP THE BOTTOM END. I THINK I WILL PUT BACK ON MY STOCK HEAD PIPE AND BE DONE WITH IT. MY STOCK HEAD PIPE HAS A TON OF BOTTOM END. THE AFTERMARKET WB HAD A LITTLE. I REALLY DONT THINK THAT A POWERBOMB WILL DO MUCH FOR ME. (I PUT THIS IN HERE BECAUSE YOU GUYS WERE HELPING ME WITH DECIDING ON A NEW HEAD PIPE)

knighttime
05-21-2002, 09:00 AM
requires rejetting :eek:

05-21-2002, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by knighttime
requires rejetting :eek:

That's 100% correct..when I just thru on the powerbong and took it for a ride I was not impressed,,but after a little jetting changes and fuel mixture screw she ran a heck of alot better..

PsychoDave
05-21-2002, 01:41 PM
how would rejetting help bottom end for me? meaning....i have a 45 pilot jet in now and the needle clip adjusted to richen up the mix...if i rejet, i will increase the main jet, which will increase the top end (not the bottom, where the new set-up was lacking). Does this make sense? My friend said that he will trade me exhaust systems if it will help me! I just dont feel like wasting my time rejetting if it wont help. I know i am beating a dead horse, but i want bang for my buck now, and i cant see spending 200 for a powerbomb. (if i dont have to).

NVR2L8
05-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Although most people are led to believe the pilot jet and fuel screw "only" affects from idle to 1/4 throttle, it does slightly affect jetting throughout all throttle ranges--with the least affect on the main though. I posted a picture of jetting ranges on another post here...search for the topic "400EX Emergancy Carb Problems" (not my spelling *LOL*)...and in that topic you'll see what I'm talking about. So you could certainly have to increase the pilot and/or richen the fuel screw to help with the bottom end. PsychoDave: what engine mods have you done?

PsychoDave
05-21-2002, 02:09 PM
i have a 416, xr cam, 10.8:1 comp. i have a stock header pipe and wb 'R' series....but i put on my friends whole system, wb 'r' series and headpipe (the wb head pipe was quite large in diameter and seems to flow a lot more). My first impression was a loss of bottom end.(gain in top)...and my quad was a lot more quite than before....the bottom end lag wasnt that bad, but with the stock head pipe it would really pull.

knighttime
05-21-2002, 02:13 PM
dont think of the jets having to go with top or bottom end. Think of the jets meaning throttle position.

I'm sure when u r using your bottom end that u r using a lot of throttle so the problem probably lies in your main jet.

PsychoDave
05-21-2002, 02:16 PM
thanks knighttime...i knew you would chime in....i am sure you hate me with this topic

knighttime
05-21-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by PsychoDave
thanks knighttime...i knew you would chime in....i am sure you hate me with this topic

lol, not at all, don't take my ramblings too seriously. :D

ChadEXer
05-21-2002, 03:33 PM
PsychoDave,,,Dont waste your money, keep the stocker, its the best!!:D I of course dont think its worth the money but knighttime will argue for days that it is!! Rico really likes his powerbong too but he is really cool and doesnt like to act like a little kids and argue like some of us do:D but me and Knighttime have made friends now so this shouldnt make him mad!!

knighttime
05-21-2002, 03:43 PM
u r just upset cause u paid money to get the stock head pipe ceramic coated, lol.

:eek:

ChadEXer
05-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
u r just upset cause u paid money to get the stock head pipe ceramic coated, lol.

:eek:
:D nope, your just mad cause you paid $219 for something that makes less power:D I got my header ceramic coated free:)

330exracer
05-21-2002, 04:06 PM
chad their is no way a stock header is better then a aftermarket header like a powerbong. is their any stock part that is better then a good aftermarket part? no. and its the same for the header tc is justmakin u believe that because he only makes a slip on. o yea is their any egine builder (sparks lrd etc) that recomend the stock header um no. more flow the better eh.

NVR2L8
05-21-2002, 04:17 PM
Yea well, to add fuel to the fire, I'm having my Powerbong ceramic coated. It might, or might not, make an improvement in power, but at least it'll look good! *LOL*

ChadEXer
05-21-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 330exracer
chad their is no way a stock header is better then a aftermarket header like a powerbong. is their any stock part that is better then a good aftermarket part? no. and its the same for the header tc is justmakin u believe that because he only makes a slip on. o yea is their any egine builder (sparks lrd etc) that recomend the stock header um no. more flow the better eh.
:D easy man, im just having a little fun and messin with knighttime!! I dont think the stock header is better and makes more power than the powerbong, but i do believe (like PsychoDave says) its good for torque which is what i need most what i do(drag racing)!!!

And like you said """is their any stock part that is better then a GOOD aftermarket part? no.""" Who says FMF is GOOD:D notice again that I am just messin around before you go trying to get crazy again!!

ChadEXer
05-21-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by NVR2L8
Yea well, to add fuel to the fire, I'm having my Powerbong ceramic coated. It might, or might not, make an improvement in power, but at least it'll look good! *LOL*
Hey NVR2L8
, you can go to a powdercoating shop and have it powdercoated ceramic for much cheaper than regular ceramic coating!! it looks good too, just make sure they put a clear coat on it too!!!