PDA

View Full Version : 400ex hybrid options

Nick110
05-13-2005, 02:11 PM
i was wondering what motors u can put into a 400ex frame. and who makes mounting kits and instruction. and if it is really hard. i am very good with tool i have access to a shop and my grandpa is a mechanic. thanks and i hope to have a hybrid EX

JDiablo
05-13-2005, 02:16 PM
crf450,yz440 and a couple of others

05-13-2005, 02:44 PM
you can put anything into anything.. but... if you have to have "instruction" then you dont need to be even ATTEMPTING the conversion.. Remember you are taking a motor and putting it into a frame that was not designed to house that motor, so you have to build mounts, weld to the stock frame, know where to weld and how much to weld.. You have to understand structure, and support and how the heat from the welding will change the structure and support of the frame due to changing the property of the metal..

Here is my suggestion, dont do it because your going to end up with a nice paper weight.. if you have to ask how to do this conversion, then you really are biting off more than you can chew..

There are companys out there that will weld the mounts in for you.. and do all that so all you have to do is mount the motor..

Jesse

Nick110
05-13-2005, 02:47 PM
thanks but DIRTMERCHANT u didnt have to like make fun of me. so just chill out and tell me that it is very hard. thanks

JDiablo
05-13-2005, 02:56 PM
here is a CRF 450 thread,and dont worry,you are just asking for opinions,personally i think that you should ask before going into something like this

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90605&highlight=crf450

wilkin250r
05-13-2005, 03:16 PM
No offense, but I'll echo Dirt Merchant's comments. If you have to ask how hard it is, or feel that you need to justify your mechanical abilities, than you are indeed biting off more than you can chew. It is much more difficult than bending a bit of metal, or getting new motor mounts.

If you have a question, then go ahead and ask it. But be prepared for an answer or advice.

If you were asking about how to rebuild the top end on a 250r, I'd tell you to jump right in, it isn't all that hard. However, conversions ARE hard, they are not for novice builders or amateurs. It's much more complex than a little cutting and welding.

YZ400EX
05-13-2005, 08:49 PM
I am almost done with my YZ 400EX hybrid and I can tell you anything you need to know about this conversion..This is the only one I know about though because its the only one I have done..It is hard and has taken along time, but hopefully will be worth the wait and all the work involved..let me know if you have any questions about this specific conversion..

ss440ex
05-13-2005, 09:43 PM
The Yamaha yz engines 400 426 and 450 fit nice.
I have done a few.
Engine brackets,mounts
air box
oil tanks
kicker extension
rad mounts.

jjohnst03
05-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Nick110
thanks but DIRTMERCHANT u didnt have to like make fun of me. so just chill out and tell me that it is very hard. thanks Nobody is making fun of you. Your the one that needs to chill out. Dirt Merchant just told you what you needed to hear. Its WAY more to it than you having a shop, being good with tools, and your grandpa being a mechanic. You have to know exactly how to mount the motor and other components up or your bike will be worse and not fun to ride.