PDA

View Full Version : what oil filters do you guys run? and air filter grease

SRH
05-12-2005, 08:05 PM
i dont have a y amaha dealer within 30 min of me so i was wondering if there was any aftermarket oil filters equally as good or better than stock, i heard of some filters have problems with the glue breaking down and what not i really do not want that, in my 400ex i ran a brand call hi flo filtoro or something they were suppose to be the supplier for honda and stuff....i dont want a stainless steel filter, and i change my filter every other week and my oil each week, usually 2 hrs of ride time

and i switched over to uni filters , i greased my stock one where it mates to the airbox but i didnt grease my uni because it looked like the stock filter got chewed up by the wheel bearing grease after sitting all winter, in the owners manual it says use a lithium soap based grease.....wtf is that lol and do most of you guys grease your foam filters...if so what grease do you use?

Fred55
05-12-2005, 08:38 PM
I think somebody makes a stainless steel oil filter..you just clean it off with gas i think and reuse it, its like 70 bucks but it pays for itself after about 7 oil changes...but i do use the yamaha paper ones myself, but i also do work at a dealer lol

and for hte grease...i just sprayed filter oil around the filter there..its sticky enough id imagine, and shouldnt hurt the filter.

SRH
05-12-2005, 08:40 PM
id rather just change the filters than go with stainless loooking for a stock style replacement t hat is better or equal

Fred55
05-12-2005, 08:44 PM
I guess just stock up next time your at the dealer? or try ordering online.

Yamaha801
05-13-2005, 01:12 PM
In my 450 I run a KN-141 oil filter,as far as an air filter I run a Uni filter and grease it with the Yamaha multi purpose grease.

jshtex
05-13-2005, 06:42 PM
I buy my filters on Ebay, I get four for less than the price for two at the local yami dealer. I change the oil after every race weekend and the filter after every two races.