PDA

View Full Version : 440 overbore and other questions

ZSK
05-12-2005, 08:01 PM
Of course you see these questions when something has gone bad. I raced a 60 mile enduro and the quad ran flawlessly. For some reason (I must be nuts) I got home and went riding.:rolleyes: After about 2 hours the engine started to make an odd knocking sound. It's like a stretched cam chain but a lot louder. It would fade away with higher RPM's but was apperant in neutral and any gear. I drained my oil and noticed that the tank drain hole was plugged with clutch debris.:confused: After pulling the side cover I descovered that my clutch is about 3/4's gone after 2 races. I also noticed that there were grooves worn in the basket tabs and that the basket itself will rotate slightly back and forth, could this be the culprate?

And if this isn't the case the top end will come apart next. My second question is that is there an overbore for the 440 piston? It's a ross 89.5mm piston. I've heard of a 465 @ 95mm piston. I beleive this is the largest out there. Would this require a new sleeve and maching of the cases to fit in?

Complete engine mods include:

Ross 11.2:1 89.5mm piston
HD rod
FDO HD headstuds
Tusk clutch with HD springs
CRF450 cam chain
Hot cam Stage II
LRD Full system

cals400ex
05-13-2005, 01:16 AM
you can get a slightly larger piston i do believe. i don't remember if it is like a 89.75 or some thing like that. maybe i am smoking somthing but that is what i thought. i would call a few shops and see.