PDA

View Full Version : XC Rappy

Robin Hood
05-12-2005, 07:26 PM
Hey guys, Ill be entering XC races soon, due to my 16th birthday is on the horizon.. (May 20) And I was wondering what I should do to the raptor to make it a little quicker on the trails. Any help is welcome.

What I've got so far:
CT Racing pipe
Jetted
Holeshot XCT's
ITP C-Series rims
AC pro peg w/ heel gaurd Nerfs
Pro design tether cord

I was looking into suspension, but unfortunately I cannot spend over a grand on it...:(

Ebay is my best bet for anything.

Thanks

Racing Rice
05-13-2005, 07:11 AM
How about some YFZ450 shocks to hold you over until you can get some good ones. You will have to modify the lower shock mounts but thats not that big of a deal.

Maybe a steering stabilizer or rear spacers. I would give it a try with what you have and see how you do. I'm sure you will find other things that your will notice you'll need after that.

Zingnut
05-13-2005, 09:31 AM
Steering Stabilizer and better front shocks. Those two things will really help out. Also see what can be done to lower the center of gravity.

Robin Hood
05-13-2005, 01:53 PM
Yea.. I was thinking about YFZ shocks, I just wasnt sure how to go about mounting them... I cant just go out and spend over $1500 on full suspension.. So I might havta look into 450's.

Thanks guys. Keep the help comin.

jak1389
05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
yo steve go with elka w/ rezzies for bout $500 i told you about. those would do the trick for ya:D

Racing Rice
05-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Elkas with rezzies will probably cost you more then $500, but if you look into shocks like TCS or Elka you can get a Zero preload system (type) that will enable you to lower the quad a little without losing suspension travel. This will really help eliminate the "tippy" feeling that everyone complains about. Those should work fine with the stock arms.

Talk to C&D Racing about about shocks options that wont break the bank. I'd rather spend $500 on Elkas that are setup for my quad then $250 for Yfz's that arent. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The YFZs are better then stock, and the Elkas are better then the YFZs.

Racing Rice
05-13-2005, 03:42 PM
Another thing you may want to look into is an upgraded set of tie-rods. They say the stock yamaha tie-rods break fairly easy, it would suck to be stranded in the middle of a race because your tie-rods busted.

Foxracin
05-13-2005, 04:35 PM
Id go with a set of Yfz front shock. WAY better then stock. Herse a link to what you have to do to get them to fit. Not to complicated. I love mine tho.
http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=49901

Robin Hood
05-14-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Elkas with rezzies will probably cost you more then $500, but if you look into shocks like TCS or Elka you can get a Zero preload system (type) that will enable you to lower the quad a little without losing suspension travel. This will really help eliminate the "tippy" feeling that everyone complains about. Those should work fine with the stock arms.

Talk to C&D Racing about about shocks options that wont break the bank. I'd rather spend $500 on Elkas that are setup for my quad then $250 for Yfz's that arent. It just depends on how much you want to spend. The YFZs are better then stock, and the Elkas are better then the YFZs.

Yea, I can see why everyone complains that raptors are tippy, and the 500$ Elkas he was talking about were used... Id buy used shocks with rezzies, but I dont want to revalve them when I get em.. Might as well buy new ones... And thanks for the link on how to install the YFZ shocks, I appreciate it guys. Ill keep you updated on how the rap daddy looks... Its out of commision right now though do to who the hell knows what... Check my other thread on the Raptor section Timing Chain, I made a new post with the symptoms, the more help I get from you guys the quicker I can get into the races! I turn 16 the 20th so I want this beast up and running by then so I can get right into races.

Later

~RH

tater_kamik
05-25-2005, 11:34 AM
it sounded to me like the shocks fell off the "back of a truck":devil:

MR.BIG
05-25-2005, 01:55 PM
Just practice and get into shape!

tater_kamik
05-25-2005, 04:45 PM
i think that is the best advice i have ever heard!!!

RaptorRacer45
07-06-2005, 07:50 PM
Would the Mods u gotta do for the YFZ Shocks still allow u 2 run A-Arm Guards, or will another hole have 2 be cut for the shock in them also?

Foxracin
07-06-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by RaptorRacer45
Would the Mods u gotta do for the YFZ Shocks still allow u 2 run A-Arm Guards, or will another hole have 2 be cut for the shock in them also?
Yea, you can still run them without cutting holes in them.

RaptorRacer45
07-07-2005, 09:00 AM
Ok thanx, im expecting my YFZ Shocks 2 be here within the next 2 days:cool: