View Full Version : Shock travel Question?

Pepto_Bismol
05-12-2005, 07:09 PM
I've been doing some research, but there doesn't seem to be any one particular sight that explains the differences between how much travel you get (shock travel) from standard A-Arms with say Elka shocks, and LT A-Arms with LT Shocks.

Anyone have some information with actual (not guestimating) numbers here?

It would be for a 450R.

Thanks.

Delema, I want aftermarket shocks. But the price of purchasing everything for a total LT setup is getting out of hand. Thinking about settling for standard Triple Rate Elkas. But I am a jumper, and would like to get the most out of my setup.

Note, I had Elka triple rates regular A-Arms on my 400EX prior, and loved the way they handled. However, I know I pushed those to the limits. And since I never got to try out any LT setups, I am unsure if I would really gain that much more out of a LT setup.

Please response with specifications, no offence, but I am not really looking for any opinions about what type of preference you would like (or think I would like). Thanks again!

PeptoB:cool:

Smoker
05-12-2005, 11:09 PM
From my meager understanding, the travel isn't really the difference, it's the length of the shock and the ability to tune a longer shock better to the type of riding. The ride is better on a long travel suspension, so you can have a supple suspension, that resists bottoming, as opposed to a stiffer set-up that resists bottoming, experts, please insert knowledge here... :p

jacobw
05-13-2005, 07:12 AM
pushed you elkas to the limits? If you did you needed to adj the comp or reb. When properly tuned a standard travel arm will suit you just as well as a long tavel shock. I have asked jeff about this he will chime in I am sure. Or you can pm him with any questions.

prepracing
05-17-2005, 02:15 AM
call Elka, they are pretty good about giving spec's and helping you tune shocks in