PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

bigtallguy75
05-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Ok, I am in the process of getting my rear brakes working again and am not sure if I am missing something or not. I took off the caliper to have it rebuilt and the mount is not really held still by anything. There is a stub that fits in a groove on the mount that stops it from spinning, but it is free to move into this groove to the right of the mount (see pic). Am I missing something that would keep in in place or is that normal. Is the groove normal or is there something that's supposed to be there? Also, I am missing one of the three bolts that holds the rotor on, where do I get one of those?

bigtallguy75
05-12-2005, 09:41 PM
Anybody? I talked to someone today about the mount and they said that it is supposed to float, but I don't know for sure if that empty spot between the mount and the rotor is good. Any help is appreciated. Also, I need a new rotor. Where can I get a good one for a good price? Thanks

cdalejef
05-13-2005, 07:40 AM
That pic is a bit on the blurry side and hard to see.

bigtallguy75
05-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Ok, sorry about the blurry pic, here's a better one. The mount can slide to the right and into that space.

wvspeedfreak
05-14-2005, 07:17 PM
There is a large snap-ring that fits in the bearing carrier to keep the brake stay from moving to the right.Is that what you are talking about?

bigtallguy75
05-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Well, I don't see a snap ring on mine so I guess that's what I am missing. Will I have to take anything apart or will it go on with everything together?

wvspeedfreak
05-15-2005, 06:58 AM
You will have to take your axle nut and rotor hub back off to install it.

bigtallguy75
05-15-2005, 10:08 PM
Thanks! As soon as my caliper is finished I will hopefully be done with brakes and on to something else!

bigtallguy75
05-15-2005, 10:14 PM
Do I really need the special Honda 56mm locknut wrench to take off the locknuts? My Clymer manual says I do but it looks like I could just use a pipe wrench or something, any suggestions?

JOEX
05-15-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bigtallguy75
Do I really need the special Honda 56mm locknut wrench to take off the locknuts? My Clymer manual says I do but it looks like I could just use a pipe wrench or something, any suggestions?
Pipe wrenches will work, that's what I used (18" and 24"). The nuts will get a bit hashed up. If you're going to reuse the stock lock nut many people have had success with wrapping it with black electrical tape. It's known to come loose once the once it's loosened from the stock set up.