PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal Atv(Va)?

4LEAFCLOVER
05-12-2005, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know why four-wheelers aren't street legal? I've been trying to figure this out for a long time and I'm finally taking action and trying to get some answers. I've been riding quads for a long time and I've always wondered why you can't make atv's street legal. I mean I would think that something on four wheels would be safer than something on two wheels such as motorcycles and mopeds. If anyone knows the answer to this question or can help me out please hit this forum up. Thanks 4 Leaf Clover
My 450R
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v651/tavaresclover/100_0686.jpg

05-12-2005, 10:00 AM
I live in West Virginia, and they are legal on roads which do not have painted lines. I don't know if this law pertains to my county only.....or if it's state wide.

And, i think you can make a quad totally street legal.............as long as you add turn signals, brake lights, insurance, etc.

44oEX
05-12-2005, 10:11 AM
it depends on the state.

Ok a quad would be concidered a motorbike if you put it street legal. in some states you can have motorbikes with 2 or 3 wheel BUT not 4. if that is the case in you state then you can't put a quad street legal, Unless:devil: you put a streetbike rear end on it and run only one rear tire then you only have 3 so you can then be legal. Know in some state it is legal to have a 4 wheeled motorcycle, so you could make you quad legal with blikers and tail light, mirror....

It you state does not consider 4 wheels to be a motorcycle, it would be considered a car and then you would need a windsheld, seat belt and all the stuff to make a car street legal.

4LEAFCLOVER
05-12-2005, 10:37 AM
Hey thanks for all the help guys. I just don't understand why it would be so hard for the state to come up with a law that states the rules and regs for quads. Like I said I would think that four wheels would be safer than two but I guess not because it is illegal in most states. I've called my DMV and they all keep giving me the run around and not answering my questions. Is there a place where you can get the laws for Va online?

44oEX
05-12-2005, 11:25 AM
maybe do a search on google or something, you could ask the local cops, they should know.

450r51
05-12-2005, 01:55 PM
dont know nething about street legal quads. but ur quad has to be the sweetest thing i have ever scene that paint job or graffix is sweet man

4LEAFCLOVER
05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
Glad you like it. I got it from XGX Graphics. I'm happy with it. It will look even better when I get through with the quad. I'm not much for getting my quad all dirty. Yeah I know that's what there made for but I like to mostly drag race for fun or just ride some trails every once in a while. I want to chrome it out but it's going to take some time and a whole lot of money which I don't have right now. But I will get it there. I've always been a big fan of chrome on those Banshees so I'm going to get my 450R looking nice also. Well thanks for visiting the thread and glad you like the quad.

Pepto_Bismol
05-12-2005, 11:01 PM
You can make a quad street legal in Arizona. When you get a permit to ride on the state trust land, they provide you with a ADOT (AZ Dept of Transportation) pamphlet that tells you what you have to do.

All you need are a few basic things.
- horn
- 1 mirror
- brake light
- liscense plate light
- of course, must then register it as a vehicle
- must have insurance

That's it. I thought about doing it, but since I already have a motorcycle, I don't need both. (Unless I sell the motorcycle..then I just might do it)

Pepto:cool:

450 Racer R
05-13-2005, 06:11 AM
A four wheeler with a solid rear axle is no where near as safe as a two or three wheeler on the street. Ever notice that when you turn your rear slides? You have to get rid of the solid rear axle first. Good luck.

dtmichau
05-13-2005, 11:11 PM
This was a long time ago and i dont remember where i saw it even. Maybe it was un dirtwheels mag, but i saw a guy transform a raptor to a 3 wheeled vehicle. The rear swingarm was replaced with a custom peice that held a single wheel. The conversion could be swapped back and forth between 3 and 4 wheels, and it said it only took about 30 mins to do. It would be street legal in most states with 3 wheels.

speedracer400
05-23-2005, 09:44 PM
dont hold your breathe i live in va and have asked ive seen maybe one or two people pull it off but it didnt even look like a quad.good old commonwealth never lets us have any fun.there could be a way to make them safe for daily driving but it probably woundt be worth it u could easily be riding a street bike.i wish i could ride my 450 to work everyday

4LEAFCLOVER
05-24-2005, 07:20 AM
Yeah this commonwealth state of Va is not what I'm use to. I just went home to Ga this past weekend and I took my quad and oh boy did I have alot of fun. I rode back dirt roads and on some pave roads and I didn't even see one cop. Of course I live way out in the country and no one really cares were you ride at. I must say it was fun. As far as making my 450R street legal I guess I'll keep dreaming. I haven't made up my mind but I might trade it for a street bike. Well thanks guys for all the comments. Nice Riding!!!!