PDA

View Full Version : Valves Tapping 2 Hours After Adjusting

Metzroth
05-11-2005, 08:06 PM
Hey guys. I have re-adjusted valves on both of the ex's i've had. Every time i do after a few hours they come un-adjusted. The only reason this wierds me out is that they are fine for that 2-3 hour span right after adjusted. Cam chain had a 1/2 inch left when rebuilt and it prolly has 4-5 hours on the chain total since the rebuild. But after 3 hours on the motor i did an oil change and re adjusted valves, (cam starting to groove a little maybe?) Anyways I don't think the cam chain is bad. Is there a specific torque spec for the locknuts on the valve adjustment screws? If so what is it? Other than putting the piston TDC on the compression stroke(turning the motor over in the natural direction until TDC on compression stroke) is there any other steps to adjusting them? Forgot to mention it is a stage one hot cam and im using the stock clearences, dont know if that is right either but it was pretty quiet when i first did it. Other than that im pretty happy with my new quad. Hauls *****. Anyways any help is appreciated. I tried to give as much info as i could.

BLEEDRED
05-11-2005, 08:19 PM
I hear people talking about the stage one being louder. I'm not sure of the lodgic behind that but that is what people will say. I always adjust my intake and exhaust clearences to .004" since I have had my stage two...quiet as can be with no problems. Sounds like you are going through the proper procedure to adjust them. Good luck.

Metzroth
05-11-2005, 08:44 PM
Thanks. Do you torque them or just tighten them till they feel right? Just got a PM that said 18 ft lbs.

cals400ex
05-12-2005, 10:47 AM
make sure you are doing all of these steps:

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

here are some torque specs:

http://www.atvriders.com/articles/torque400ex.html

this one says 17ft-lbs but i believe my clymer says 18. either way should be close enough.

cals400ex
05-12-2005, 10:53 AM
or you could drive an hour south and i would do it for you. ;)

Metzroth
05-12-2005, 02:46 PM
or...you could come riding at the bottoms :). Would have to drive here but its hella fun, friend is getting a 450r this weekend too. Then you could also adjust my valves :-D. Yeah i think i can handle it tho. Ill give it a try. Where is staunton?

RiderTRX400ex
05-12-2005, 07:37 PM
its probably jsut cuz your hotcam... they create more noise than the stock cam...

cals400ex
05-12-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Metzroth
or...you could come riding at the bottoms :). Would have to drive here but its hella fun, friend is getting a 450r this weekend too. Then you could also adjust my valves :-D. Yeah i think i can handle it tho. Ill give it a try. Where is staunton?

staunton is about 15 minutes south of litchfield.

Metzroth
05-12-2005, 09:24 PM
if i dont get it fixed this weekend ill send u a pm and ask for ur phone #.

cals400ex
05-13-2005, 01:06 AM
that sounds good. just to let you know, that stage 1 hotcam is going to tick whatever way you do it so i wouldn't let that bother you. either that or buy a different cam. the valves should still be adjusted accordingly though.

Metzroth
05-13-2005, 06:18 AM
but they didn't tick right away after they were adjusted. They didnt tick when i got the quad either. So it has to be something coming un-adjusted. It's not just a little ticking, you can hear it from 30-40 feet away over the exhaust, it's pretty bad. Maybe i will get it fixed.

cals400ex
05-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Metzroth
but they didn't tick right away after they were adjusted. They didnt tick when i got the quad either. So it has to be something coming un-adjusted. It's not just a little ticking, you can hear it from 30-40 feet away over the exhaust, it's pretty bad. Maybe i will get it fixed.

my buddies stage 1 was that loud too. we thought something was screwed up too so we later put in a stage 2 hotcam and it was as quiet as stock. his bike is quieter when you first start it but after it got to full temp, it was quite loud.

Metzroth
05-13-2005, 12:20 PM
mine is horribly loud all the time :(. I am going to adjust them tonight, i will let u know if it fixes it. It was SUPER quiet when we adjusted it right, but about 2 hours later it got bad again. Thanks for your help.

HondaRacing23
05-15-2005, 03:34 PM
i have a hot cam stage 2 and mine are ticking really bad. no loose of power but its sounds really bad dont know if its normal or not ir if its even the vales.

2001400exrider
05-15-2005, 03:52 PM
my quad has a horrbile loud tick at times but ive just given up on it because i have no power loss and now i cant even hear it over my HMF LOL:devil:

HondaRacing23
05-15-2005, 04:15 PM
Yea i have an HMF too and cant hear it over it but when it is idleing it is really bad. I dont want to keep riding it and make it worse if it is something bad. im going to the dunes in michigan on the 26th like to find out whats wrong with it and get it fixed.:confused: :confused:

HondaRacing23
05-15-2005, 04:17 PM
actually i have a stage 1 i think thats what i have posted in my profile i forget what i have to tell u the truth...

Metzroth
05-15-2005, 07:29 PM
i think what the problem with mine is, is that i didnt tighten them anywhere near 18 ft lb. Today when i tried to adjust them i rounded off the edges on the valve caps... now i have to buy a damaged bolt remover and see if i can get the caps off.