PDA

View Full Version : 400ex to 450r Questions

ZSK
05-11-2005, 12:36 PM
What parts will actually swap over from a 400ex to a 450r? I was thinking maybe the front and rear shocks with revalve, bumper, tires and wheels, grab bar, nerfs, stem/bars etc. I'm thinking about upgrading because I'm tired of messing with a built engine.

400exrider707
05-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Ok well the wheels and tires yes, the footpegs yes, the grab bar no (the 400's isn't removable), steering stem I doubt it cause its like 3 inches longer than the 400s, just look at how swept back it is. Front shocks can be made to work, but aren't correct, the rear is a no, becuase the 450Rs is shorter and also not set up for that linkage geometry. Nerfs Im not sure about but I think they could be made to work depending on the brand. Front bumpers yes, and air filters yes. Obviously some other stupid parts like handlebars and what not, but I think that hit all the bases.

ZSK
05-11-2005, 01:28 PM
Grab bar is a prm ;), Pick it apart what could go over.

http://michigandirtslingers.com/ipw-web/gallery/albums/Cleanshave300EX/Image015.sized.jpg

Varmit57
05-11-2005, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Grab bar is a prm ;), Pick it apart what could go over.
The hole rear end, just use the 450R spacers in the front of the swing-arm, Turn the front sprocket around, Use the 450r rear shock and the front part of the linkage.

If that grab bars is built for the 250R then it will work on the 450R.

The Stem will work but you have to use some washers and a bit longer bolts, then use the whole clamp from the 400..

Front bumper, Front Shocks , foot pegs and stabilizer will bolt right on.

And of course those sweet Rims:D

I have heard of people using the nurfs also but I had new ones bought before I got the R. so I just used them.

Here is what I run on my 450R.

400EX Swingarm, Linkage, Rear Break, Front Shocks(PEP ZPS), Foot Pegs, Steering Stem, Gas Cap.

250r Axel, Hubs, Bearing Carrier, Anti-Fade Nut, Grab Bar.

CRF450R Clutch Lever & Hot Start Lever, TAG CR high bend bars.

CR500 Chain guide

400exrider707
05-11-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah I was unaware of the swingarm deal. But I remembered reading a huge thread about machining some parts to make an EX axle work, but I guess if you use the whole rear end you wouldn't have to. Also I dont think those nerfs will work that you have there, I think you would need the kind that use u bolts up front to bolt on. Maybe they will though.......

T2RACING
05-11-2005, 04:50 PM
So any 250r grab will work and bolt straight up to the 450r?