PDA

View Full Version : Quiet Exhaust

DEAL
05-19-2002, 08:56 PM
I eventually plan on gettin a pipe for my 400ex , and i don't want one thats overly loud. (need to keep peace with the community).
I'd like this pipe to as close to stock as possible , but i also want to get some power from this pipe.
Any ideas on what to get?
What does the e-series sound like with the sparkarrester or quiet core or whatever you call it sound like?
Thanks

05-19-2002, 09:21 PM
E series has a good deep sound. it may be too loud though!

Quadfather
05-19-2002, 09:28 PM
I had a Sparks on my quad. It was way too loud. I switched to a Yoshimura slip on, and I'm very happy with the performance, and the sound output.

DEAL
05-19-2002, 09:36 PM
My buddy (Sparkles) has a yoshi on his quad and its WAY too loud for my liking.
Thats one of the reasons his bike is at the police station right now.
I don't want to end up like him so i want to keep things quiet.

SANDTRAX361
05-19-2002, 10:35 PM
you better stay away from the big gun race all the curtis sparks and most the white bros. look in the atv mags for exhaust shootouts they go over how each sounds and have decible rating for them all

PDunes300ex
05-19-2002, 10:58 PM
Any exhaust that allows more airflow creates higher dcbl's...it's simple science. If you wanna get more airflow without too much noise you will have to stick to modifying your stock exhaust. Grind out the headpipe welds for starters. Then remove the baffle in the stock silencer. Move up a jet or two...add an aftermarket filter...then you should notice better throttle response and a little more power. Other than that...every aftermarket pipe will add a dramatic increase in dcbl levels...It's just a matter of what you think is loud. Most of the big pipe manufacturers keep the dcbls reasonable yet louder, and the race companies sacrifice high dcbls for peak HP gains

DEAL
05-20-2002, 06:20 AM
What about the FMF Q?
It can be a little louder than the stock pipe just not annoying loud.

400exBro
05-20-2002, 09:21 AM
Leo has the new FMF Q seris and it is supossed to be a lot quieter than his old t-4 but is still a bit louder than stock.
Sparkles bikes is at the police station hahaha, i got 4 warning about noise complaint with my w/b pipe and the cops said it has a nice sound to it and then drove away.
Sucker!!!!
Bro

SANDTRAX361
05-23-2002, 05:20 PM
i dont recomend taking the spark arrester (baffle) out because belive it or not you lose power i dont know about grinding welds on the head pipe but if you want more power you are gonna have to get louder bottom line. my big gun race is very loud and its not an annoying loud and i like it cause it draws attention to my bad *** riding style
later
grant

Leo
05-23-2002, 06:03 PM
Yup, I've got the PC IV-Q..

It's _much_ quiter than my old T4 (which I loved :() but it's still quite a bit louder than the stocker...

If noise is that big of an issue, run the stocker..

Leo

DEAL
05-23-2002, 07:38 PM
I can run a lil louder than stock i just don't want ear splitting loud.

05-24-2002, 08:43 AM
I ran a powercore IV/2 and it had a good sound that wasn't ear piercing loud,,gave decent power gains too..

05-24-2002, 09:54 AM
white brothers e-series with a quite cor insert.
i rode with KC300EX and it was really quire.
for a second i didnt think he had aftermarket exhuast.

Honda Guy
05-24-2002, 12:37 PM
Why does everyone hate LOAD pipes? to me the loader the better(if it still sounds good) The best sound I have ever heard out of a 400EX was a stock header and no silencer at all, that was just a tad to load but sounded SWEET.

05-24-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Honda Guy
Why does everyone hate LOAD pipes?

never heard of a load pipe?? Heard of dropping loads but not dealing with pipes..:huh LOL

Actually it's not really everyone that hates loud pipes,,it's the people who hate ATV's and dirtbikes that complain to the tree huggers that complain to the government that then shut down riding area's that then pisses us off because our retarded riding buddies want to have the loudest pipe in the world just to be heard and sound cool,,,get the picture..:D

Loud pipes save lifes on the highway.

Loud pipes on the trail close our riding areas..

It's pretty cut and dry..

Honda Guy
05-24-2002, 12:49 PM
ok LOUD pipes r u a english teacher:D

Leo
05-24-2002, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by Honda Guy
Why does everyone hate LOAD pipes? to me the loader the better(if it still sounds good) The best sound I have ever heard out of a 400EX was a stock header and no silencer at all, that was just a tad to load but sounded SWEET.

loud pipes = less places to ride...

I can go on for 20 pages about the great places we USED to be able to ride around here.. The number one reason for places getting shut down is NOISE..

I like a loud pipe, (LOVED my T4) _but_ a quiet pipe is far better than not having a place to ride..

Leo

MX MadMann
05-24-2002, 04:48 PM
if you want queit , do NOT get a sparks x-6. this thing is insanly loud. i live in texas and i was lettin it idle in my yard when some guy called from alaska and told me to turn the FU$@#$@ thing off.(not really though). i ride strictly mx so it doesnt really matter much to me.

05-25-2002, 12:21 PM
I agree with the person who recommended staying with the stock pipe and doing some mods to it. Try doing the Gabe Gillett type mod. Its cheap, and if you don't think its enough of a change for you your out maybe 20 bucks. You will have to rejet, but you have to do that anyway. Nice thing about this type of mod, you can tunne it to your threshold of pain. I wouldn't recommend removing the spark arrester. It just doesn't get you anything in performance. Bottom line, increased flow equals increased noise. From most of the reports of the pipe tests (magazines etc), it seems the average rider may "feel" like they're getting more HP, but the dynos show your HP gains are minimal. Save up for some engine work and then do the pipe to match the engine mods. Just my 2 bits worth.

You can find info on Gabes pipe mod by searching the forums etc.