PDA

View Full Version : Question about installing a new steering stem

platinum350
05-10-2005, 05:31 PM
I recently took a bad wreck and rolled my quad, everything is perfect except I noticed my steering tem is slightly bent just under where the handlebars mount. Can't believe the renthal bars didn't bend and my stem did. Anyway, I want to know how involved it is to replace the steering stem? Are there bearing that need to be pressed, is it a tough job?
Also, I see these better aftermarket stems that supposedly get rid of viberations and what not, are they worth it?
Thanks!!

cdalejef
05-11-2005, 09:17 AM
The bearings don't have to be replaced to switch to an aftermarket stem. If they are wore then you can take it out with a hammer and a big socket. There is also a snap ring that holds the bearing in.
Its not a hard job at all to swap stems. Shouldn't take you any more than an hour to replace.
Most all aftermarket stems are anti vibe. I would recommend the Houser stem. Well worth the money.

Colby@C&DRacing
05-11-2005, 09:25 AM
I have never seen a stock 400ex stem out last a set of renthal bars.:D THe stem install in pretty easy. check the lower support bearing it takes alot of dirt and water abuse ,it may need replaced, other than that grease the upper bushing and thats about it

platinum350
05-11-2005, 09:36 AM
Thanks Jeff and Colby for the info!! I do have another question for you: I have seen these +1" stems available, is this a good idea? I felt pretty comfortable w/ the stock location but didn't want to rule out this idea. I am about 6'1".
thanks,
Joe

cdalejef
05-11-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm 6'1" and prefer the +1 with CR high bend bars. With a standard stem I'm pretty hunched over and it hurts my lower back.

400exstud
05-26-2005, 04:19 PM
I am 5'7" and, yeah +1's are good. I have the Houser with T2 CR double high bend bars. It is basically in the same position because the bars are an inch lower. Now I will be able to get higher bars in the future to be a full inch higher as I grow:p.

Dave400ex
05-26-2005, 09:06 PM
Colby or Jeff. I am having problems with my upper bushing getting crap in it every time I ride and the steering gets so stiff I have to turn my dampner all the way off to not even use it. I have been greasing it after every ride as well. I also tried putting a spacer between the 2 mounting pieces to allow more grease to stay in, and that still hasn't worked. I'm out of ideas here...

cdalejef
05-27-2005, 06:04 AM
I would start by replacing the bushing and bearing. Those will bind your steering as they wear.

Dave400ex
05-27-2005, 09:35 PM
I think I will try the new bushing. I replaced the stem bearing and all of the seals when I had the frame powdercoated last spring, and it hasn't been rode enough to wear all of those out.