PDA

View Full Version : swingarm smash

YFZCHAMP
05-10-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't weigh squat and I fractured the crap out of my swingarm, racing a supercross style track set up. I love my yfz, but for a near race ready quad, the swingarm is lacking in tensile strength.
So, I digress, I would suggest anyone racing at all seriously looking a aftermarket swingarm, the stock with my 140lbs butt on it snapped. Yes I race and jump hard, but I never crash or high center the yfz ...:(

YFZCHAMP
05-10-2005, 03:58 PM
the track in the picture is not the track I was talking about, fyi

EvilJester400EX
05-10-2005, 04:14 PM
I take it you have the 2004 model? Don't feel bad, almost every '04 YFZ swingarm cracks, they've solved the problem with the '05 model.

YFZCHAMP
05-10-2005, 05:16 PM
actually no, Yes I have the 04 but Mike A, has the 05 and his gernaded after two races, so both years have a problem, He took his in for welding, you should see it, the thing is twice as thick at the crossbar, with only 3/4 of a pound in weight gain, he has it for a spare. Until I get a aftermarket I am going to do the same.

good luck at there.

EvilJester400EX
05-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Wow, haven't heard of the 05's breaking. Glad I got my Viper. :cool:

Punk'd
05-10-2005, 10:11 PM
Sorry to hear that man:( Id cry.

JMX
05-10-2005, 10:29 PM
I just got a Houser swingarm with the round style carrier after recently finding a crack in my swingarm. That what id get if I was you. Its a nice swingarm and the stock YFZ chain adjustment sucks. The Houser swingarm was one of the cheapest swingarms with a round style carrier that I could find. I got mine from Haydug Cycles.

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by EvilJester400EX
Wow, haven't heard of the 05's breaking. Glad I got my Viper. :cool:

Hey, I need to ask you a question if you don't mind? I have sponsorhip (minor, but still nice) with Legacy and I am saving ofcourse for an aftermarket swingarm. Please give me your opinion on it's ability to take abuse and keep you on the track?

Very greatful for your review.

thanks

PS: Mike was pissed.

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Punk'd
Sorry to hear that man:( Id cry.

tell me about it, there are 3 rounds left and they are in two weekends so I have to scramble.

thanks for the kind comments man!

good luck out there

YFZCHAMP
05-11-2005, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by JMX
I just got a Houser swingarm with the round style carrier after recently finding a crack in my swingarm. That what id get if I was you. Its a nice swingarm and the stock YFZ chain adjustment sucks. The Houser swingarm was one of the cheapest swingarms with a round style carrier that I could find. I got mine from Haydug Cycles.

Thanks for the tip, are you racing with this set up?

EvilJester400EX
05-11-2005, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by YFZCHAMP
Hey, I need to ask you a question if you don't mind? I have sponsorhip (minor, but still nice) with Legacy and I am saving ofcourse for an aftermarket swingarm. Please give me your opinion on it's ability to take abuse and keep you on the track?

Very greatful for your review.

thanks

PS: Mike was pissed.

It's a somewhat heavy swingarm but that's what you need for MX. It's probably one of the most durable that I have seen so far, it has gussets in some areas that I didn't even know they would put them in lol. You would have an extremely tough time breaking this one. I've overshot some decent sized jumps, cased a few on the swingarm and absolutely no signs of stress or cracking. I would definitely go with Viper, my friend has a Houser and the Houser is no doubt a strong swingarm but the Viper just has bigger gussets, it's also cheaper than the Houser :cool:

JMX
05-11-2005, 10:30 PM
Thanks for the tip, are you racing with this set up?

Yeah. MX

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 08:55 AM
:cool:

Thanks guys, I will take a closer look at both swingarms, both sound like good solutions to my need, best of luck to both of you, and keep the rubber side down.

:D

daddio
05-12-2005, 09:57 AM
we have a Laegar on one bike and Metalcraft on the other. they both are working great.

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by daddio
we have a Laegar on one bike and Metalcraft on the other. they both are working great.

Which one is on Reeds quad, not that it matters your whole family ride well and aggressive so I know that the hardware must be good.

Where did you get the metalcraft swingarm, I am not familiar with that name, what does it go for ( I am saving up, between bills)

thanks for the tip, I will take all I can get.

Out_Sider
05-12-2005, 12:33 PM
at the end of this season i'm gonna be tryin to get some rider support from Legacy ATV, and if i do, im goin to have my quad all Viper/Axis (hoping for the new suzuki if/when it comes out)

i've heard of ppl running the viper TT swing arm in MX and it STILL holding up.. that there is impressive, so the mx swing arm must be indestructable

daddio
05-12-2005, 12:38 PM
the bike Reed rides the most (the stocker) has the Leagar. his other bike that has the Metalcraft, is the one we got from Darrel Patton, that won the 4-stroke Nationals at Glen Helen last year. Metalcraft was started by a guy that used to work for Leagar, and went out on his own. Kory Ellis and Darrel both ran Metalcraft in 2003-2004.
http://www.metalcraftracing.com/
I think there around $750 for the round house. I went with the stock style carrier to save a few bucks. But Reed has broken 2 stock carriers. Now we have the Rad mfg. billet housing, so I'm at the same cost as the Round house would have been.

I'm still trying to break my stock swing arm with my fat ***, buy I haven't yet, the I get to break the stock one I took off of Reed's YFZ.

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the link!!!!

I have kept my yfz pretty much stock for two reason, one I am on a tight budget, two if it worked no need to fix it. I broke mine at riverdale in the open class race, what the track builder did was set the take off for the jumps nearly straight up (reed would have loved it) well we all (bikes and quads) were getting big air even if you didn't want it, I was in a tight race with Jason Oliver #115, and we were both trying pretty hard, well because of the set up and my effort to win (i took second) I landed really hard , over shooting the jumps ( I need more practice) result, busted stuff. I thought because I am a small rider I could get away with the stock swingarm atleast, I WAS SO WRONG. confused:

Anyay, I really appreciate your help with the info, when I have the funds I with have to choose and from you advice I will go round carrier for sure, your experience is good enough for me.

Is your family tree going to race this sunday at Pacific?

Good luck, I think the weather should go your way.:D :

daddio
05-12-2005, 01:25 PM
yes we are going to race pacific this weekend.

since you are on a tight budjet, how bad did you break your swingarm. I know a guy that is a wiz at welding aluminum, and could probably fix and gusset your stocker until you can afford an aftermarket one.
call ramfab 425-288-5676. tell them todd sent you.

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Todd, You have been greatly helpful and I really appreciate it. I am switching my broke *** S-arm out for a stock one that was re-welded and beefed up this weekend, and even if I get it together, I have other things that I have been putting off for way to long that are glaring at me, I will keep the number you gave me, incase I need them in a pinch.

Best of luck to your clan Todd the weekend

thanks

BTW: you seem to take folks posts with a grain of salt, makes it easier to converse, also thanks for that.

Best wishes

daddio
05-12-2005, 04:02 PM
BTW: you seem to take folks posts with a grain of salt, makes it easier to converse, also thanks for that.

I assume you are talking about the quadsonly.com thread. I know alot of people got their panties in a wad over that.
Myself, I try to state my opinion, or give help or info on these forums. If I don't agree with someone, it usually doesn't matter, so it's not worth getting into a pissing match.

us quad guy's have to stick together to keep our riding areas and access to tracks, open.

I didn't catch if your going to be at pacific raceways this weekend? If you guy's come up here, we will hit a race at riverdale. Actually I've been trying to make it to riverdale, but the races always fall on day's that we have had prior commitments.

wheeliemaster
05-12-2005, 04:25 PM
ya, i am trying to talk shane into going up to pacifc raceway with me and landry but i think he said that he had something to do around the house because me and him have been practicing and racing 4-5 weekends in a row so he is kinda iffy if he can go,but it sounds like it will be a fun weekend or racing up there!!!

mike a #5

YFZCHAMP
05-12-2005, 05:41 PM
Mike is totally right, every available weekend I have been at the track with him and the rest of the team, practicing or racing. I have been up there at SIR/Pacific raceways a couple of times, last time was actually for te dragbike team I was crew chief for to of the pro guys, Fast, whephew!!. The track(mx) looked great but if I don't do my chores my wife is going to break my head. How many races are left? Maybe the whole team (4 of us can come) together?

Yes, I guess some people didn't understand my meaning (the post: who's fast) my meaning was who cares, enjoy the ride. Not that I think I am fast, I have had some golden moments, but that's about it. Mostly I just do my best, and help out at the track when people break down so we can all get on the track, which is th way it should be.

Mike and landry are coming, both solid guys, fun to race with, high potential. Have a good time, wish I could go....:scary: :ermm: