PDA

View Full Version : broke a bolt

TakinItEasy
05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
hey guys. i just bought an '02 400ex and while changing oil in it today i snapped the long bolt holding the oil filter cap on. is there any easy way to fix it or do i have to take off the entire housing to get the broken piece out?????
i went ahead and tapped a new thread in it and put a, i think, 5/16 bolt in to help hold the cap on. is this a good idea and will it work for a while until i get the broken piece out???
thanks fellas

bids400ex
05-10-2005, 02:10 PM
that will work, you should have bought a set of left handed drill bits and drilled the bolt as it would've most likely just came right out, you can still probably do that and just tap it 5/16 all the way through.
Ryan

TakinItEasy
05-10-2005, 03:31 PM
yeah thats what worries me if i tapped it all the way through, will it crack the housing or not? anyway what are them left handed drill bits and where can i purchase some? thanks

bids400ex
05-10-2005, 07:15 PM
I don't think it would crack the housing, left handed drill bit are made to use conter-clock wise instead of clock wise the cutting edge is facing the other direction. I think you should be able to pick them up at any local hardware store.
Ryan