PDA

View Full Version : redcat...are they any good?

smr
05-10-2005, 09:19 AM
I found a really good deal on a redcat 55. It looks almost new and I can get it for less than 1/2 the price.

Does anybody know anything out these quads?

are parts hard to get?

Will they hold up to my 6yr old racing mx?

red rider88
05-10-2005, 03:34 PM
Never heard of it. who makes it?

joshridina400ex
05-10-2005, 06:46 PM
the red cats are a piece of junk. i worked at a shop and we got tons of calls looking for parts because red cat had no parts. if you use it for my bring a wagon to the track so you can pick up parts around the track. but i am serious i would spend the extra money and get a good atv like the drr, kasea, lrx. these companies actually have parts and stand behind their products.

smr
05-11-2005, 06:21 AM
thanks for the info...I am leaning toward a Kasea

aviator4
05-12-2005, 11:49 AM
U dunno what joshridina400ex is talking about. The RedCat is made by the same people that make the Yamoto and the Kazuma. We bought three of their 110's and took 'em to the sand, popped some sand tires on 'em and rode them for 3 days straight. sure, there were some bolts the needed to be tightened, and the chain needed to be adjusted (like any new quad) but my kids beat the fire out of 'em, and I mean rode them HARD and we didn't have any problems with them at all.

Now, these were the new '05 models (one '04) so I don't know about any model but these. But heck, with the abuse they went through, they were no trouble at all. Before we went, I padded the battery box area as well, but that was just for piece of mind.

My kids ride these things ALL THE TIME, in the back yard, fields, the dunes (mainly) - anywhere you can think of. They've been no trouble. Heck, even by brother (who is 200+ lbs) got on one and drove it. It wasn't a speed demon, but it did get him around. LOL. (Of course, I did the same thing).

I've even modified them with a better flag pole bracket and a rear tail light.

My only complaint is that the headlights run directly off the stator, so if the bike isn't running, the headlights don't work.

Here are some pics of us on the sand.

http://www.ismasters.com/atvxtreme/pics/kids/1.jpg

http://www.ismasters.com/atvxtreme/pics/kids/2.jpg

http://www.ismasters.com/atvxtreme/pics/kids/3.jpg

Big Kid on a little kids quad!
http://www.ismasters.com/atvxtreme/pics/kids/4.jpg

joshridina400ex
05-12-2005, 12:49 PM
i not going to argue with you but look at the suspension yep it sucks. these quads are junk compared to the kasea. when you ride at the dunes it doesn't compare to the abuse of riding at the track. the reason these bikes are so cheap is so when you braek one you can go out and buy another. if it were me i wouldn't even consider the red cat. oh yeah i almost for got the motor has no power compared to other atvs. red cat quads are so bad the state of california is in a law suit against them and they don't even allow them to be sold anywhere in the state. if thats doesn't clear things up call hetrick or billy holt or jon anderson and they will tell you to steer clear of the red cats.

Pvt. Maggot
05-12-2005, 12:55 PM
The suspension looks better on those then on most minis those actually look like they have shocks..not toothpicks like the trx90 and others.

aviator4
05-12-2005, 01:19 PM
I don't know anything about a lawsuit and was unable to find anything on the web about it. I would interested in reading more on this though.

The Suspension is actually pretty good for a little quad, it's a little stiff, but it is fully adjustable. It is a single A-arm up front - that could be a little better, but overall it's not bad. They are a little narrow, I wouldn't try to race it, but then again they aren't that fast either.

As far as the engine... it's a Honda clone. You can get engine parts from the local honda dealership (I've allready investigated this).

Sure, they don't have much power, but how much power do you want to give a first-timer? Frankly, if my kids had more power, they would just get in more trouble. I don't think more power would make them want to ride any more or smile any bigger.

My point was, my kids love 'em, I don't regret buying 'em, I haven't had any problems with 'em, and for the money they were a good deal.

Sure the Kasea may be a better bike, but it's also a LOT more money, and kids outgrow quads like they outgrow clothes.... keep that in mind. the Kasea isn't a Honda either.

aviator4
05-12-2005, 03:35 PM
You're right I'll spend my money where I choose. The guy asked for opinions.. I have him my real-world experience with these quads. just because you're "shop" was getting calls for parts doesn't make them junk. - if anything, it makes them popular.

That actually goes for the frame as well. Obviously there was a major redesign for the '05 model. So far, I have seen no cracking, bending - whatever on the frames of these quads.

Again, I'd like to see somewhere that I could read about this lawsuit. Again, I can't find anything about a law in california that says if you sell something you must have a means of supplying parts and service. much less where it applies to RedCat.

However, I did find this:

Kazuma RedCat Update
California Update
As of September 21st Redcat has been approved to sell all current models of ATV's into the state of California: KMX-50, RFX-110, KMX-150 & KMZ-150 are approved by the California Air Resources Board. Red Sticker only.

This can be found here:
Read The Full Update (http://www.racewayatv.com/atv-resources/motorcycle-dealers.html)

Apparently they weren't passing smog inspection, but they are now. I think you're information is out-dated - all the way around.

As far as Kazuma International, LLC, their company gets an "A" Rating by the Better Business Bureau

Read the Report Here (http://www.labbb.org/BBBWeb/Forms/Business/CompanyReportPage_Expository.aspx?CompanyID=131371 51&hAKAID=1&hAddrID=1)

It sounds like they have come a long way since the last time you've dealt with them.

Oh, and as far as honda parts... I wanted to make sure I could get parts for the engine so I contacted my local honda dealer (who I know and trust) he verified that he could get me the same parts from old honda stock. Apparently, this is a discontinued honda engine that was replaced with a more efficient 4 stroke. Anyway.. it doesn't matter, RedCat parts are easy to come by and inexpensive. Just look on E-bay, or contact any number on internet re-sellers. They all either stock the parts or can have them in a reasonable amount of time.

Like I stated before, I don't think that I would race one though... not fast enough.

red rider88
05-13-2005, 01:28 PM
stick to name brand quads makes it easier to find aftermarket parts.

spliffy
05-16-2005, 11:06 AM
I am a dealer of Redcat/ Kazuma & Unison atvs... I have no idea where this law suit on Redcat is coming from, but I can tell you it is BS. I was just down in LA at the Redcat warehouse. Yes the suspension needs help, but overall they are great machines especially for the money, I sell on average 150 per month & get very few complaints, most of which are shipping damage & I cover that for all customers, you don't even have to hassle with the trucking company, I do & get you the parts out of my stock. What I can tell you I can sell you 2 machines for less than one of the big brand names & parts...no problem I just got in $25 grand worth of parts & When I was down at Redcat they had 7 semis full of just parts.... around $500k worth, so you just have to know where to go for them ;) PS I would stay away from the fx55.... they have been a problem machine, the new ones will be out end of June & they are ALOT better, they are fast little bikes for a 50cc 4 stroke...32mph on GPS with my 185 lbs on it.

250-R-250
05-16-2005, 06:10 PM
Just um aliitle insight---marajuina is part legal in Cali....and Arnold Swortznager is the gov or mayor or what ever lol.....!!!!

aviator4
05-30-2005, 12:37 PM
Thought I would pass along an experience I had this weekend on my little Kazuma's.

One of the new '05's (the red ones in the pics above) blew the ingnition coil side of its' stator this weekend. It's under warranty, but we were out at the sand and wanted to get going again. So I spoke with a shop owner "in the know" about how to go about fixing it.

The gentleman pulled an ATC110 (the HONDA 3 wheeler) ignition stator coil off the shelf and said "here ya go" - it was an EXACT replacement for the one that went bad. Now I know that it's not exactly an internal engine part.. but after looking at everything else he had for the ATC110, I can tell you FOR A FACT NOW that this is a honda clone engine.

And for my next trick... I shall be purchasing an ATC110 pipe to see if I can get it to fit... Let's see if I can't hop this thing up a little.

I am also in the process of creating a dual A-arm front suspension for these little buggers. Being handy with a tubing bender and welder and having access to a CNC has its' advantages!!

BTW, other than the stator mishap, we had no problems with the bikes this weekend.

spliffy
05-31-2005, 03:10 PM
They are great bikes, The new 110fx's have the dual a arms already & the 150's do also. I have done the same thing with swapping parts..... I even did a 110atc piston & it fit right in & started no problem...however for the atc piston it was $58 for a wiseco & the Redcat piston is $20 from them heh...but I got the machine running in a day & the customer was happy with that, so it was worth the extra couple bux to make them happy & also I was able to see just how copied the motor was. I am doing this prematurely (about 8 hours early, June 1st is when it starts), but I want everyone to know that I am now a exriders banner advertiser, Harlen & I banged out a deal, I don't know who here has talked with him, but I am here to tell you, he is a very nice guy & very loyal to this site, like anyone doesn't know that who has been here for a while heh. So feel free to visit our site www.kidatvs.com for some great deals on these machines, all my prices are shipped to your house, no extra costs (or taxes), the cost is the cost anywhere in the lower 48 states. I also sell the Unison lineup & the new black widow 150's are due out any day now...they are SWEET machines. Jim

spliffy
05-31-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by joshridina400ex
the red cats are a piece of junk. i worked at a shop and we got tons of calls looking for parts because red cat had no parts. if you use it for my bring a wagon to the track so you can pick up parts around the track. but i am serious i would spend the extra money and get a good atv like the drr, kasea, lrx. these companies actually have parts and stand behind their products.

Just a word also.... these are not Race machines & I would not Jump them on a track, they are not made for track conditions, you need to buy a more expensive machine for that like you said above drr kasea lrx unison etc etc, these are very good inexpensive TRAIL machines... for those who don't want to spend 2k or more on a kids atv that won't be getting raced.

Samson
05-31-2005, 03:38 PM
Aviator, supertrapp makes a universal slip on. You might measure the diameter of your pipe and give that a try. You can buy unversal K&N's too and mount straight to your carb. I'd also be willing to bet your dealer can match your jets if you'll take one in. If not, you can always drill out your own.

Also, the kasea, drr and lrx all need gussets if you're serious about racing. None of these little mini's are perfect. Only problem I see with the redcats is a lack of support from a performance view. It's just cheaper and easier to get a 2-smoke to run imo.