PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle license

shellz4sand
05-10-2005, 07:55 AM
I just got a street bike, and have to get my motorcyle license.Does anyone know how hard the course is you have to pass? I live in California.I guess you have to go through cones & something else without putting your feet down.I never road one before I got it.I am doing pretty good though,I guess being on a dirt bike before helped.Thanks guys :cool:
Shelley

Mxjunkie
05-10-2005, 07:57 AM
They are tough on mx riders, because we use 2 fingers on the levers, you have to use all fingers on the levers and such. The hardest part is the written but it just takes common sense :)

shellz4sand
05-10-2005, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Mxjunkie69
They are tough on mx riders, because we use 2 fingers on the levers, you have to use all fingers on the levers and such. The hardest part is the written but it just takes common sense :)

Thanks! I have been reading the handbook every night.I am going to take my test for my permit Friday so I can ride this weekend with my friend that has a Harley.

Racing Rice
05-10-2005, 08:21 AM
Dont know about CA, but in Ohio we can take the MSF course. If you pass the course you automatically get your license. Either way, I would HIGHLY recommend taking the MSF beginner riders course. Its a great class.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

JLanphear
05-10-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Racing Rice
Dont know about CA, but in Ohio we can take the MSF course. If you pass the course you automatically get your license. Either way, I would HIGHLY recommend taking the MSF beginner riders course. Its a great class.

http://www.msf-usa.org/

Yup...it also typically lowers your insurance....

I am actually taking mine this weekend.

Can't wait to see what those little 250's can do...haha.

duke416ex
05-10-2005, 09:36 AM
Here you have to do a slalom through the cones and stop in the middle of your turn, that is a little tricky cause you are off balance. You also have to go straight down the street, shift up 2 gears and turn come back, and stop at a line. Not very hard. I never took the classes but they say it would lower insurance for me too.

Rdhanded2
05-10-2005, 10:11 AM
The test in IL consists of 2 90 degree turns followed by stopping with your front tire in a small box. A U turn in a small area. Weaving between cones and then stopping within a certain area. Shifting into second on the fly, and then slamming on your brakes while stoppping within a certain area. And finally an obsticle avoidance where you have to swerve.

YLW400
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
That's what it is here too Rdhanded...

I took my written portion yesterday...I got the first question wrong and i was thinking to myself, " I'm going to fail this #*#*%$!!!" lmao.. I missed a total of 3 though, and passed!:p

Rdhanded2
05-10-2005, 12:11 PM
It is not a bad test at all, but a lot of people fail it because they are nervous.

YLW400
05-10-2005, 01:26 PM
Yea, my buddy just took the advanced course, and he said he was pretty nervous at times doing that one

I-7
05-10-2005, 01:36 PM
I'm thinking about going to get my motorcycle permit this week. I dont have a motorcycle but it would be nice to have.

big-guy
05-10-2005, 02:38 PM
I took the written test here in WA state, and missed passing by one question! The problem is the test has nothing to do with riding, it's all statistics you have to memorize.
And then the endorsement costs $25 a year, while a ticket for no endorsement costs $14. :huh

Ironically, I took the commercial license test for $hits and giggles and scored 100% without even opening the book.:rolleyes:

Aceman
05-10-2005, 08:06 PM
You're right. That is pretty screwed up. I think I would rather be ticketed every few years for 14 dollars than pay 25 annually.;)

It's official, anyone can be a truck driver.:eek: :D

Punk'd
05-10-2005, 10:01 PM
Study that book and practice in a parking lot if you have to. You'll be fine.