PDA

View Full Version : help me out

raptor02r
05-09-2005, 11:19 PM
i have an 02 raptor, with wiesco 11-1 piston,stageI cam,13/40 gearing,full dmc pipe,uni filter(being switch to alba's k&N pro flow intake). i like to drag race, but my quad seems slow, i was thinkin of checking my compression, and changing my gearing to 12/40 or 12/42. ive heard the new intake will help a lot. should i rejet, to will it not make a difference, all help in getting more power is welcomed, i use 4 snow tires. all help is welcomed, cause i want to win this next one

05-10-2005, 05:36 AM
are you runing with your air box lid off? if nto take it off and see what happens i have only the mods below and im beaten 80% of the stuff i go up against. what size main jet are your running? and you should be running racing fuel if your not already for your high compresstion pistion

Racing Rice
05-10-2005, 06:30 AM
Are you sure that it is tuned properly? I would think about putting getting it dynotuned, that will ensure that everything is 100% spot on.

raptor02r
05-10-2005, 07:49 PM
im not sure of the jets, i just know it was rejeted, and i had thought about buying a new jet kit. i run with no air box lid. im gonna check my compression tomorrow at school in shop, and see if thats fine.i had to run 93 octane at the last race cause i didnt have time to order race gas.

where would i go to get it dyno tuned, i dont no of anyone with a dyno machine.
my dad sponers a race car team, and i have there machanic do most of my work, so im also thinken of taken it to him and haven him to a full check, and adding what he thinks is nessaccary. otherwise i dont no what to do

MR.BIG
05-11-2005, 05:03 PM
With all the stuff you have it should run good. Did you check your plug to see how its running, it should be a light brown color. Like I said your jetting must be off!

raptor02r
05-11-2005, 09:22 PM
if ur refering to spark plug, it was changed like a week ago. alright, well ill take her to the shop, tell them what we came up with and ask for his opinion

Racing Rice
05-12-2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by raptor02r
if ur refering to spark plug, it was changed like a week ago. alright, well ill take her to the shop, tell them what we came up with and ask for his opinion '

What did the spark plug look like when you took it out?

http://www.off-road.com/dirtbike/tech/2002sparkplug/

tater_kamik
05-12-2005, 01:08 PM
did i read this right???? an high comp raptor seems slow? :confused: i would say something is wrong, and i wouldnt jump on the race fuel (use atleast 92 octane) unless you have a problem with spark knock. 11:1 is on the edge of needing to use it but i feel you should be fine.

raptor02r
05-12-2005, 07:41 PM
i lost to a kfx in a drag. i dont no what he had, i think a 440 kit not sure tho. and my bros 440ex i barly beat. i use to be able to walk all over him.

tater_kamik
05-12-2005, 08:54 PM
is there anything at all you have noticed that is odd? other than it being slow? turn the motor over and feel how much air comes out. is it the same amount of air as before? try to hold your hand over the exhaust and try to turn it, you shouldnt be able to hold the air in probably, it will probably push your hand away. how does your spark plug look? does it run very sluggish as if it is running too rich? have you ohmed out your coil? checked grounds? voltage being produced by the stator? is it hard to start? do you have a lot of slack in your chain? do you smell gas when it is running? did your boots from the engine to the carb get loose? pickup good? there is so much to look at, but with a little bit of work, i am sure you can find your gremlin!

raptor02r
05-14-2005, 11:11 PM
u mentioned my chair. could ya tell me more?? cause it sounds fine, idles fine, starts fine, i havent put my hand be hind the muffle. but im interested in this chain idea, cause mine hasnt been changed for a while. maybe a should take a link out

tater_kamik
05-15-2005, 01:47 AM
chair? i dunno. you may not have to take a link out, just feel how much tension there is on it, should be about an inch peak to peak while you are sitting on it. if it is loose, your manual will guide you on how to tighten it without taking out a link. have you checked your coil and plug yet? spark plug

raptor02r
05-15-2005, 10:11 AM
i dont no what to check for on the coil, i changed my plug not to long back, but i will check it again, my plug also gapped at .37
i was wondering if i should maybe change my gapping. im ordering a new sprockets today also

tater_kamik
05-15-2005, 07:40 PM
your coil consists of two resistors, all you do is check the primary resistance by placing one lead on the ground (spade terminal on the round black thing) and the other on the other side of the round thing where you mount it to the frame. for secondary, keep the 2nd lead at the same spot, but move the first one to the center conductor of the plug. primary coil resistance should read between .36-.48 ohms, secondary is between 5.44-7.36 kilo ohms