PDA

View Full Version : May Lake, Alberta, Quad Rally

David
05-09-2005, 05:47 PM
On May 7th I went on a 80km quad rally by where I live in Cold Lake @ May Lake. It started at 9:30am, so me on my 400ex, dad on his 350es, and brother on his 6 month old YZ125.

We got about 10km into the rally where we came to a bad bridge they used to get people over the muskeg, the bridge only lasted for 4 people before they had to start building it up. Good thing their was a person who carried a chain saw. I wasn't one of the first people to get their, but it took them at least 3 hours to fix this bridge, that made a line of a few hundred quads. A select few went around the bridge, but to find out that it wouldn't be any faster. Me, my dad and brother and family friends where close to the back due to helping others and not staying line.

We finally got going to find even more muskeg, that after I think around 500+ quads. To show how bad it was, their was a Grizzly with a big lift and tracks and it had to get winched for a little ways that I briefly saw. Then my brothers motor in this YZ125 blew. So the owner Terry from a near by Yamaha Shop put it on the front of this big Artic Cat and my brother then rode with him. Because Terry was on clean up crew to make sure everybody got out my brother then spent the night with about 14 other people, because it got to late to get everyone out and lack of gas. With around 190lbs of dirt bike on Terry's front rack on his quad steering was to much so they just droped it off in the bush.

The owner of a local Honda shop brought in a snowmobile grumer over the night with enough gas to get the quads out of the rest of the 30km ride. They finally got out about 10am the next day.

Their was a large problem of people running out of gas, because this year they weren't allowed to take the gas to May Lake, so they had it 20km later at Marie Lake. I know their was 4 dirt bikes and 20+ quads left in the woods, because of break downs or whatever. Their is a guy from Bonnyville that is going to bring a nogwell today that he was going to pick up the rest of quads and dirt bikes. He said it was going to take him 6hours in and 6hours out roughly. A nogwell is made for oil field work for carring tanks or drilling equipment through the muskeg.

I even heard that 2 quads went missing in the muskeg.

As I finished telling the main parts the the rally, I realized that I just wrote to much. Oh well. I have been on quad rallies before, but nothing so rough in my life.

David
05-09-2005, 10:00 PM
all thats left of the bike (front number plate)

David
05-11-2005, 09:32 PM
Today the people with the Nogwell brought the dirt bike. They wanted $250 due to them breaking some of its windows going through the woods. They got out 4 quads and his dirt bike.

I bought all the parts to get my dad's 4x4 to get it back to normal. It was a bill of $248cdn.

05-14-2005, 10:24 PM
yea my cousin Shawn Cotton (you might know him) took a bad spil there. i guess there was a cliff or something not marked of and they drove right off it. he was doubling on a polaris 800 demo:ermm: