PDA

View Full Version : Migraines

Toadz400
05-08-2005, 08:52 PM
Does anyone here have migraines often? I used to have at least two to three a day when I was younger, but after I got glasses/contacts they have seemed to go down. I still get migraines quite a bit and they seem to be more on and off. I will have a sudden sharp pain and the other feelings of a migraine like that weird sick feeling you get, and then it'll be gone.

Has anyone had any problems concerning migraines? The other night I had a migraine most of the day and when I was washing my face before I went to sleep, I tasted blood. I looked up and saw that my nose was bleeding. I've gotten nose bleeds a few times right after having a migraine all day, is there anything wrong with that?? I've gone to the doctor before and had tests but everything comes up clear. What the hell is wrong with me?

Scott-300ex
05-08-2005, 09:49 PM
Man, that sucks, i've never had a migrane, which i am thankfull for

maybe if its your eyes, you should eat carrots and good foods and maybe get lasek surgery or somethin, ask the doctor or eye doctor and good luck to you

that sucks so bad, hope you get better and let us know how everything goes

2-3 a day is insane

Toadz400
05-08-2005, 10:08 PM
Yea, I would get surgery on my eyes but they don't recommend it until you're at least 21, that's when mostly everyone's eyes stop growing.

I try to eat healthy, but between school and work I don't really have time and I'm too busy to think about anything like that.

The migraines have really cut back a lot since I was younger, when I said 2-3 migraines a day, those 2-3 would last for hours each. So basically my whole day was one huge migraine.

05-08-2005, 10:25 PM
whenever my contacts are going bad i get migraines and they suck ***. when i get them i cant see out of one eye and i usually throw up everytime i get them. out of this year i probably had about 15-20. ******* do they hurt like a mofo:(

QuadJunkies
05-08-2005, 11:41 PM
Oh... Do I know what you mean by a Mirgaine! They SUCK sooooo bad!! People who have never hada "true" migraine have no idea what they are like. Ive had them so bad that a vessels broke in my eye before :eek2: one time I even passed out from the pain and eas down for almost 5 days :( Those were my worst headaches ever, I now tak ea narcotic onoy when needed. I had a Cat scan just to make sure I didint have a tumor and then was diagnosed . Migraines can be caused by many different things. Anything from Choclate, allergies, PMS, stress, lack of sleep neck /back injury, pinched nerve , eye straint ect..... If your getting 15-20 true migraines I would get futhrer testing,. Some people confuse Migraines with "cluster" headaches,they can seem like a bad migraine and in some cases, WORSE. I get these more than Migraines lately.

yfzrider93
05-09-2005, 06:34 AM
I know exactly what you guys are talking about. I get horrible migrains once or twice a month. When I get them I loose vision in both eyes and I usually end up puking for a while. I too have been checked out by doctors(tests, cat scans, etc.) and everything comes up fine.

Hon300ex
05-09-2005, 08:29 AM
were do you get them? in your hole head or just in the back or front?

05-09-2005, 09:32 AM
I get them from artifical sweetner (Aspertame sp?)

You are sooo right Quadjunkies, people who never had a "True" migraine have NO idea. They are horrible!!!

QuadJunkies
05-09-2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Hon300ex
were do you get them? in your hole head or just in the back or front? mine are all around my right eye, sometimes feels like its gonna pop or like its swollen and the pain goes into my temple area. Thats how I can tell if its a mnigraine, I always get them in the same spot.Cluster headaches I get on both sides and in front of my head

I-7
05-09-2005, 10:29 AM
I've gotten them twice and both times I just passed out and slept for like 5 hours.

Woodsrider
05-09-2005, 12:28 PM
I get severe Migrane. By severe I mean debilatating. I have a script for tordahl. When I get a migrane, I take a shot and go lay down in the bedroom. In about an hour and a half its gone. But the next day I feel pretty wrung out.

I get several a year, one of which cuased me to wreck my truck on the way to the ER for a shot. It was after that they gave me the script for the tordahl.

400grl
05-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I used to get horrible headaches alot - I have had them since i was little - I remember eating children's chewables like they were candy - headaches woke me up in the middle of the night with exrutiating pain.......

Well.....after going to many doctors, I finally found one who took my headaches seriously (no, it's NOT stress, hormones, whatever!).....he found I had a disease called hyperparathyroidism - this is a disease where the parathyroid glands (you have 4 of them tucked in under your Thyroid) get all whacked out and produce way too much parathyroid hormone, which in turn causes your calcium levels in your blood to skyrocket, which in turn begins to calcify your filter organs.......this also prevents your body from absorbing calcium. So.......I had surgery to fix this....on my throat. They took out the 3 freaky glands and I have one left, doing a good job. That helped to eliminate some of the worst headaches........I was getting them at least once a week.......that cut them back to about twice a month.

The other thing they found during an MRI on my head, was I have a pineal cyst located right in the middle of my brain. It's about the size of a large marble (an inch across). Not much is known about these things......other than they can put pressure on parts of your occular nerves and other parts of your brain located around your pineal glad. Like I said - no one really knows much about them, but if they start to increase in size, Dr's like to go in and remove them. Mine is suppose to be monitored on a yearly basis....but I HATE MRI's.....I loathe them......so I don't go like I should. This could also be something contributing to my headaches..........once I get one....if I don't stop it right away.....it turns into a monster.

Also - I get another type of headache from riding....which sounds wierd, but these are controllable. Pretty much guaranteed after ever race or practice, I WILL get a riding headache. I have to head them off with Exedrine and lots of water and they go away. My boyfriend gets them, too - and he never gets headaches at any other time.

Anway - thought I'd throw out some other info......I don't think anyone really knows what causes these things.....but that surgery on my glands really improved my headaches ALOT. It's worth getting a blood test done - that is how they can tell if your parathyroid hormone levels are normal.......it's an easy test to ask your Dr. to do for you........

05-09-2005, 01:35 PM
OMG. :( I feel so bad for you. I am glad that they were able to cut back the headaches.

I usually know about 1/2 hour before I get a migraine. I start to see spots and then I get tunnel vision. That usually gives me time to get home. Noise and light is not an option when you have a migraine. So I guess I am pretty lucky to get the warning signs.

Woodsrider
05-09-2005, 01:39 PM
Wow thats a long post!/\ I had a difficult time reading it.lol I kept on reading penile :o

Honda400exrox
05-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by 400grl
Also - I get another type of headache from riding....which sounds wierd, but these are controllable. Pretty much guaranteed after ever race or practice, I WILL get a riding headache. I have to head them off with Exedrine and lots of water and they go away. My boyfriend gets them, too - and he never gets headaches at any other time.

everytime i go riding with a head ache when im finished i usually come back with out one

400grl
05-09-2005, 02:00 PM
LOL!! I wish that was the case with me!!!

JDiablo
05-09-2005, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by 400grl

well,you aren't the only one,after i take my helmet off i start to get whoozy and get a headache often,usually if i stick my head in cool water and drink a gatorade and take a advil it goes away and i go ride

ny300exrider
05-09-2005, 02:26 PM
nice to know im not the only one, the same thing happens to me after riding for awhile

Braff1
05-09-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
Does anyone here have migraines often? I used to have at least two to three a day when I was younger, but after I got glasses/contacts they have seemed to go down. I still get migraines quite a bit and they seem to be more on and off. I will have a sudden sharp pain and the other feelings of a migraine like that weird sick feeling you get, and then it'll be gone.

Has anyone had any problems concerning migraines? The other night I had a migraine most of the day and when I was washing my face before I went to sleep, I tasted blood. I looked up and saw that my nose was bleeding. I've gotten nose bleeds a few times right after having a migraine all day, is there anything wrong with that?? I've gone to the doctor before and had tests but everything comes up clear. What the hell is wrong with me?

From what I am reading it sounds more like something else other than migrans. To me it sounds as if you are experiencing a stroke (not joking, sudden headace, sick feeling, nose bleeds)

Have you had you blood pressure checked lately?

Bottom line GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!

infantry317
05-09-2005, 06:08 PM
As soon as I feel I'm getting one at work, (computer job) I sit still with my eyes closed for about ten mintues, take a short walk. Magnesium supplements are supposed to help. I've had to go the hospital a few times to get a shot I forgot what its called, starts with an 'E' it's a steroid of some kind. I get a good one about once a year.

Good luck.

Toadz400
05-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
mine are all around my right eye, sometimes feels like its gonna pop or like its swollen and the pain goes into my temple area. Thats how I can tell if its a mnigraine, I always get them in the same spot.Cluster headaches I get on both sides and in front of my head

That's the same exact spot where I get my migraines. I too have passed out once because of the pain, woke up the next day. Got almost a good 15 hours of sleep!

I've gotten migraines after eating a certain type of food, including brats which I used to love until they made my head feel like it was going to implode. I don't know what to do about them because I've gone to the doctor and checked out just fine for everything, supposedly I'm not allergic to anything. I also get migraines when a big storm is coming.

Toadz400
05-09-2005, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
From what I am reading it sounds more like something else other than migrans. To me it sounds as if you are experiencing a stroke (not joking, sudden headace, sick feeling, nose bleeds)

Have you had you blood pressure checked lately?

Bottom line GO SEE YOUR DOCTOR!!

My blood pressure is perfectly normal and I have gone to a doctor before. According to the doctors I am a very healthy person.

I don't even bother going to the doctor for anything anymore because I know exactly what they are going to tell me. I didn't even go to the doctor when I dislocated my shoulder.

I was researching aneurysms (sp) before and all my symptoms pointed towards that, but my mom didn't "believe" that I could have that so we never bothered going to the doctor and getting my brain checked out. I guess we'll find out when my brain drowns in blood:o .

05-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by sEX
whenever my contacts are going bad i get migraines and they suck ***. when i get them i cant see out of one eye and i usually throw up everytime i get them. out of this year i probably had about 15-20. ******* do they hurt like a mofo:(

i found out today that the things i get are called aura

heres is exactly what i get. after reading all of this im feeling sick just thinking of them.

Along with the other typical features of a migraine attack, some migraineurs also experience what is called an "aura".

Typically, most sufferers experience migraine with aura (also known as "classic migraine") as "visual disturbances" ranging from blurred vision to wavy lines or patterns. The aura occurs before the headache begins, usually developing over 15-20 minutes and lasting less than 60 minutes.

While most auras are visual, other symptoms ranging from sensory disturbances to partial paralysis and disorientation can occur.

Migraine with-or without aura-represent the two most common types of migraine headache sufferers experience. Migraine without aura accounts for 70%-90% of attacks and migraine with aura accounts for 10%-30% of attacks1.

While there are other types of migraine, they are rarely seen, accounting for less than 2 percent of all migraine attacks2.

Symptoms of this(i get everysingle one, lucky me)
a bright shape that appears to block vision
flashes of light and color
wavy lines or geometric patterns
partial loss of sight or blurred vision
numbness or tingling of the face
one foot / hand feels bigger than the other
you "smell" odors that aren't really there
partial paralysis or one side of the body feels heavy / weak
problems talking or understanding language
confusion / disorientation
temporary amnesia

05-10-2005, 06:44 AM
Yeah, that is exactly what I see. They are like spots and zig zags that appear just out of my focus, then my sight fades into tunnel vision. Usually it is about 30 minutes later that the headache and Nasua begin.

QuadJunkies
05-10-2005, 10:03 AM
never had the foot/hand thing or the smleeing weird things, but pretty much everything else sums it up for me as well... Thank God for Migraine Meds!

400grl
05-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I've lost all peripheral vision quite a few times - very annoying when you are driving.....I've also lost all central vision,only being able to see where I wasn't looking......then the headache comes......wow......you'd think with all our science knowledge and testing they would have these thingsfigured out by now- instead, I think they all just shrug and say "hmmmm....it's a mysterY!" We need a few scientists around who are tired of their head hurting all the time......:macho

crday98
05-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by sEX

Symptoms of this(i get everysingle one, lucky me)
a bright shape that appears to block vision
flashes of light and color
wavy lines or geometric patterns
partial loss of sight or blurred vision
partial paralysis or one side of the body feels heavy / weak
problems talking or understanding language
confusion / disorientation

these are the symptoms i get. they seem to happen more often in the colder months but happen frequently all year. i've been getting them since i was about 13 but i have never seen a doctor about them although i've been thinking about doing so lately. usually i have to have to feel like i'm on my death bed before i go to the doctor for something.:o

Toadz400
05-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by crday98
these are the symptoms i get. they seem to happen more often in the colder months but happen frequently all year. i've been getting them since i was about 13 but i have never seen a doctor about them although i've been thinking about doing so lately. usually i have to have to feel like i'm on my death bed before i go to the doctor for something.:o

I seem to get migraines much more often during the summer months, when the pressure is constantly changing and it becomes more humid. I also get them a lot when storms are nearby and it seems to go away once they're gone. I'm the same way also, I have to be feeling like I'm near death to even think about going to a so-called "doctor". Damn people know nothing. I think if I have another migraine with a nose bleed following it I'll see a doctor and get my brain scanned, especially if it could mean I'm getting near to having a stroke.

Punk'd
05-10-2005, 09:59 PM
I hate them I usually get really bad head aches in the summer when its hot.

Scott-300ex
05-11-2005, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
I also get them a lot when storms are nearby and it seems to go away once they're gone.

let me know next time a storm comes near st. louis

and i'll get all the cute little girls outside in white t-shirts:D

rush298
05-12-2005, 11:09 AM
A large number of severe headaches are caused primarily by dehydration. If you are experiencing this after riding, perhaps you need to drink more fluids. Sugary drinks can make headaches worse but the electrolytes are important to maintain.

I have suffered from migraines for the last 5 years. Most of my triggers are stress induced so I've been learning how to deal with a lot of those things. My migraines are located on the right hemisphere of my head.......and light and movement bother me more than sound does. I usually sleep it off cuz the medicine I have to take for it puts me out for a couple days.

People can have nose bleeds with cluster headaches and migraines. Not necessarily aneurysms....but keep a log of when you have them. I found that keeping a log of my headaches helped my doctor and me figure out my triggers and the things that help me to avoid them. It also helped us determine how much of my headaches could be attributed to migraines or sinus issues (I've had allergies all my life).

Headaches are just as crippling as a sprained ankle and even more so when you're working for a living and doing any number of things. you always have to think. And having a migraine prevents any thinking from going on ( at least when I have one).

anyways, my $.02

shellz4sand
05-14-2005, 11:33 PM
I am a optical tech & it sounds like your contact RX is wrong.Make an appointment @ your eye doctor for a refraction to check to see what is going on?Try advil migraine liquid gels they work good!Good luck with it.