PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Tear Down

rooster_20
05-08-2005, 07:38 PM
Just wanted to hear what people thought bout the reason bearings break down, this is my first time workin on my ex and its been hadies just look at the mayhem it took me 2 hours to get the axel nut off shew

TC426EX
05-08-2005, 08:24 PM
Think about what a bearing goes through, especially in the rear end, and I think youll see why they break down. Get used to replacing bearings and bushings, needs to be done at least every season if not more usually...

TCracin440ex
05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
well stock bearings dont hold up wortha damn ne ways...get an aftermarket bearing carrier that you can grease up....main reasons for bearing failure is A. you play in too much mud and water B. your chain is too tight causing stress on that left side bearing that wears them out...id just save the hassle and buy an aftermarket

the reason your axle nut was so hard to get off is because you was proaly turning the nuts the wrong way...first you have to loosen the jam nut turing it backwards...then once you get that far enough back...you loosen the other nut where u can get that clip off...it takes a while to do that because the treads on those nuts are so fine you can turn it 3 or 4 times and only move it a few mm

bwamos
05-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by rooster_20
Just wanted to hear what people thought bout the reason bearings break down, this is my first time workin on my ex and its been hadies just look at the mayhem it took me 2 hours to get the axel nut off shew
Just wait until you have to take it off of a bent axle. ;)

Can you say a monster Crecent Wrench, 6ft cheater bar and a 300lb guy standing on the front bumper.. lol. Good times to be had by all..lol. Kicker is I was actually able to reuse the Axle nut assembly.. lol.

The bearing break down a lot faster in Quads from the enviroment., but also because of the increased loads of having the wheels way out away from the bearings. Motorcycles and even cars have the bearings right in the wheel so theres a LOT less leverage/force on the bearings.

RiderTRX400ex
05-09-2005, 06:28 PM
looks like u got your discs on your pipe on backwards?:rolleyes:

JDiablo
05-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by RiderTRX400ex
looks like u got your discs on your pipe on backwards?:rolleyes:

lmao:devil:

RidrKFX
05-10-2005, 10:12 AM
The Water and mud kicks the Shiot out of the bearings cause when i sank my down the river like all my bearings went and like it made my wheeler die. my front wheel bearings were replaced only about 5 months ago and i havnt rode it for like 4 and they are already gone. and it ate everything up like my spacers. thank god my dad has machine shop :)

rooster_20
05-10-2005, 12:34 PM
no i just have 5 disks cause i dont have it jetted

bwamos
05-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by rooster_20
no i just have 5 disks cause i dont have it jetted

No it's not that.. he said that because the carbon buildup is blown toward the front on your pipe. Unless you always drive in reverse you're most likley running the disks backwards. ;) Very common mistake.

RiderTRX400ex
05-10-2005, 02:57 PM
there yo go... thanks wamos

rooster_20
05-10-2005, 07:23 PM
yea ok that was pretty Embarrassing! well i just went out into my garage where my presious still lies in pieces and found out that you were right sorry bout the hostility lol. Thanks for pointing that out thou i would have prob had a black pipe forever lmao!

RiderTRX400ex
05-11-2005, 01:43 PM
lol no prob, we all make mistakes

chucked
05-11-2005, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Just wait until you have to take it off of a bent axle. ;)

Can you say a monster Crecent Wrench, 6ft cheater bar and a 300lb guy standing on the front bumper.. lol. Good times to be had by all..lol. Kicker is I was actually able to reuse the Axle nut assembly.. lol.

The bearing break down a lot faster in Quads from the enviroment., but also because of the increased loads of having the wheels way out away from the bearings. Motorcycles and even cars have the bearings right in the wheel so theres a LOT less leverage/force on the bearings.

torch