PDA

View Full Version : Airsal top end rebuild

Arctic Cat Dad
05-08-2005, 07:16 PM
We run the Airsal 70 cc kit on our Arctic Cat. The top end had 5 45 minute XC races on it and around 15 Hrs of aPractice in it. The practice is race like conditions. The piston needs replaced and the jug if iffy. The cross hatch looks good except in 1 spot it is worn down about half way thru the cross hatch. I'll let my mechanic buddy make the call on the jug. So how many hours do you all tear into your top ends?

I'm very careful to keep my fuel very clean and run a fuel filter and I clean my air fitler all the time. To put it plane and simple I take VERY good care of his QUAD. Servise wise. I just would like to hear some guide lines to when to look into his topend.

QuadJunkies
05-08-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
We run the Airsal 70 cc kit on our Arctic Cat. The top end had 5 45 minute XC races on it and around 15 Hrs of aPractice in it. The practice is race like conditions. The piston needs replaced and the jug if iffy. The cross hatch looks good except in 1 spot it is worn down about half way thru the cross hatch. I'll let my mechanic buddy make the call on the jug. So how many hours do you all tear into your top ends?

I'm very careful to keep my fuel very clean and run a fuel filter and I clean my air fitler all the time. To put it plane and simple I take VERY good care of his QUAD. Servise wise. I just would like to hear some guide lines to when to look into his topend. Ill talk to Troy about our tomorrow and let you know. I know we should have done ours a little sooner on the Eton,we got ALOT less time on it than the Kasea of ours. The Kasea we ran for the entire fall/winter!! :eek: and it was still in near mint cond. :)

QuadJunkies
05-09-2005, 10:59 AM
I taked to Troy about it this morning and hes not sure on the true number ouf hours we had on it, but it was well into 30 hours and was good until somehow he got water in it and then we had to replace the cylinder as well.Then it was just a matter of time before it locked up!
We too take very good care and TONS of maintence on our minis so I think good maintence is why we are able to stretch it a little longer on ours :) Im guessing it carys some but everyone Ive talked to says 15-30 hours just depends on how hard its rode

Arctic Cat Dad
05-09-2005, 07:44 PM
What plug do you run . I'm useing a NGK BR8HS. It looks like it is getting a little warm. It's always jetted right. It looks like it is getting warm. I think I will try to cut the practice times to 20 minute runs and let it cool for a while. I was Practicing him for 30 minutes at a time at above race pace, to get him conditioned for 45 minute XC races. And I do mean ran hard. I will cut it down to 20 minutes. But I'm looking at the plug thing also.

QuadJunkies
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
we run a BR9HS an 8 is Def. too hot. We have NEVER had overheating issues with ours :)

markvette
05-10-2005, 12:23 PM
yes run a 9, as quadjunkies said a 8 is too hot for that top end.

Mark

Arctic Cat Dad
05-11-2005, 06:25 PM
Sorry it took so long to get back to you Quadjunkies and Markvette. Our phone lines were down for a while. I will switch to a 9 plug. I thought by the the way the piston looked it was getting hot. Well sometimes you learn the hard way. I ordered a piston and complete topend rebuild. The jug is fine the cross hatch is still in great shape.

Thank you both very much for the information! You both have helped me out in the past and I greatly appreciate it!:) :)

I just hope I recieve the parts and get it rebuilt and get it broke in some for the GNCC Nationals, we were planing on leaving early Friday morning. I would hate for him to miss a National he's right there in the points!

QuadJunkies
05-11-2005, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Arctic Cat Dad
Sorry it took so long to get back to you Quadjunkies and Markvette. Our phone lines were down for a while. I will switch to a 9 plug. I thought by the the way the piston looked it was getting hot. Well sometimes you learn the hard way. I ordered a piston and complete topend rebuild. The jug is fine the cross hatch is still in great shape.

Thank you both very much for the information! You both have helped me out in the past and I greatly appreciate it!:) :)

I just hope I recieve the parts and get it rebuilt and get it broke in some for the GNCC Nationals, we were planing on leaving early Friday morning. I would hate for him to miss a National he's right there in the points! no problem!!! Best of luck at Natl.!! :macho

wvspeedfreak
03-20-2006, 05:45 PM
Is the airsal cylinder nicasil coated?If so what do you do to prep the cylinder when you are installing a new piston and ring?

QuadJunkies
03-21-2006, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by wvspeedfreak
Is the airsal cylinder nicasil coated?If so what do you do to prep the cylinder when you are installing a new piston and ring? We was told to take it out and soak it in ot soapy water, dry it off very well.... We let ours set for two days to dry completly ,then just take some of your 2- stroke oil and coat the cylinder walls .