PDA

View Full Version : Motor running HOT

416HiRoller
05-08-2005, 02:29 PM
Last weekend I had a race. When we got there I started up the 416 and it was kinda hard to get it started. When it did start it was spudder for about 5 sec. and then cut off. But I finally got it started and it spuddered for a while but when I got it out on to the track, for practice it quit after the first lap. I came back from the race and just pushed it into the garage and let it stay there over night. The next day I started it up and it did the same thing. But this time I noticed after about 5 min. of it running, the headpipe was glowing , and I havn't ever seen my pipe glow except after long rides. Does any one know what the problem could be??

Thanks

JR3
05-08-2005, 02:34 PM
what main jet are u running usually glowing head pipe means your running lean

416HiRoller
05-08-2005, 03:21 PM
I have a Edelbrock Carb and but I bought it like that. So I don't know what it is set at but I know that they don't have jets. And before last weekend it never did that. It wouldn't have anything to do with the weather change would it (from cold to hot)? Oh and could it have to do with my spark plug being bad??

yamablaster24
05-08-2005, 03:52 PM
your running way too lean. But the warmer it is the richer it will run. DO NOT RUN IT unless you want to burn up your valves or top of your piston

416HiRoller
05-08-2005, 06:56 PM
I think it might be the spark plug. I took it out and it looked pretty crappy. I asked two different people and without even knowing about my spark plug that's what they both said it was.

416HiRoller
05-11-2005, 07:54 PM
Problem solved. The new spark plug works great. I went out and put it in and ran it for about ten minutes at a past paced idle and it didn't spudder once. And the pipe didn't glow red like it did before after ten minutes.