PDA

View Full Version : Need truck help

Bush0102
05-08-2005, 09:05 AM
What are the weak points of the Chevy half ton tahoes and silverados from 1996-1999?

I have quite a few friends with these trucks and none of them have really had any major problems, even with high milage.

I have to buy my own car this summer (first time for me) and I'm looking at the 1500 Z-71 Silverados and the 2 door tahoes. I'm leaning towards the tahoe just because i've always like SUVs better than trucks, i dunno why but i've had both and thats the way it is. It looks as if the trannies are pretty bulletproof, and the 350 is as reliable as ever.

However because of the model years that i am looking at, I'm probably going to have to settle for something with at least 110-120K on the odometor. Would you say that its a safe bet to buy one with so many miles? What are some weak points or problems i should look for when buying one?

Rastus
05-08-2005, 10:21 AM
I would say it would depend on the owner before. Look at every possible thing on the truck and ask questions. If it's the original owner of the truck, try to guess if they have a heavy foot or not. I'm not trying to stereotype, but if it's a younger owner it's probably seen a few burnouts. I'm in that younger owner group.

If the truck hasn't been totally beat to death already, then I wouldn't have a problem buying a truck with those miles. Take it for a test drive and listen for pings, rattles and try to notice any jerks or slippage in the tranny.
If maintained properly, the 350s will last a long long time.

I'd say the weakest point would have to be the 4L60E tranny. It's a good tranny, but it just won't take tons of abuse from the 350. Don't get me wrong, it's strong but not strong enough for continued abuse. There are kits to improve the strength and shifts of the tranny, but those are fairly expensive and unless you have experience with rebuilding trannies then I wouldn't attempt it yourself.

In my experience, these trucks have always been reliable unless completely abused or not maintained. Goodluck, hope you find a good one.:cool:

(BTW, I have a 93 K1500 Silverado. Very similar to the newer trucks, but the grille is a tad bit different.)

sly400ex
05-08-2005, 10:37 AM
I have a 96 Z71 w/ 65K on it. It has been very reliable. Even a truck with 125K on it should be very strong/tight IF it was well maintained. One weak point I have heard on them is the front end components wearing out prematurely, but again, if it was taken care of, I couldn't see that being that big of an issue.

Overall, they are strong trucks. IMHO

underpowered
05-08-2005, 10:49 AM
i would also say the tranny is the weak point. Not made for abuse, and is ecspecially vulnerable when towing. These trannies are known to blow out during heavy towing use.