PDA

View Full Version : oil plug fell out

88350R
05-07-2005, 11:46 PM
I was riding yesterday and somehow my oil drain plug decided to vibrate out. i, of course had no idea so kept riding.so im cruizin along and stop at a crossroad and when i let out on my clutch it starts makin a sound bout like a nice supercharger or turbo. i didnt know what it was so i kept goin...yeah i kinda aint too brite. ne ways, after the sound i rode prolly a mile..while i was riding i couldnt really hear it. a friend of mine said it sounded like it was comin from the clutch, this is when i start lookin around and see oil and feel for my drain plug which is not there. id say theres 1.5-2 miles on it without oil. well today i fixed all that retapped the hole and put a new plug in it and filled it back with oil, i also flushed it. i go to start it and it starts fine but i still can hear this turbo sound. not near as loud but its definately there. any ideas? I run honda trans oil stuff, in a red bottle. its like 85/90 or somethin. anyone have any ideas?

zedicus00
05-07-2005, 11:49 PM
bearings, i would guess crank bearing but after reading yur story you should replace ALL of them

JTRtrx250r
05-08-2005, 12:06 AM
losing the drain bolt wouldnt have no effect on crank brearings.haha..

its gotta be the clutch basket bearing, balancer, or tranny parts I'd think, hopefully its not the gears

Let us know what else you find out

zedicus00
05-08-2005, 12:13 AM
yeah i cant even believe i typed that.. its way too late here i need to go to bed...

JTRtrx250r
05-08-2005, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by zedicus00
yeah i cant even believe i typed that.. its way too late here i need to go to bed... it happens to the best of em'! haha;) Ive typed stuff and almost wanted to blame it on someone else when I read it later LOL:D

No worrys man, you've typed some pretty good stuff! ... alot more than bad;) :D

wilkin250r
05-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Please please PLEASE tell me that you're not thinking about just "letting it go" simply because "it starts fine" or "it still runs good."

You ran it without oil, and now you have a funny noise. It's time to take it apart.

beerock
05-09-2005, 06:42 PM
well, depending on how long, you can run those trannys without oil. granted im saying this because a buddy ho use to race TT on a quadzilla put lucas gear oil in his tranny then drained it. for MAX rpm's

it does sound like you burned up a tranny bearing. you should take it apart.

bighaas12
06-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I am familar with that "turbo" buzzing sound. I had a similar sound with my 265 powervalve a month ago. Well, it turned out that fourth gear had decided to shred itself all to crap and leave tons and tons of metal shavings and such all over the inside of the case. The buzzing sound is the metal shavings inside the roller bearings in the clutch basket, as well as all the other bearings. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I had to split the cases and clean EVERYTHING inside. All bearings removed and inspected, new third/fourth gear combo (they come as one piece) and new gear on opposing shaft as well. Total cost about $300 and a weekends worth of time. I fould out that just how expensive trannys are in this situation. Unless you plan on getting all new guts for your 250r, stop riding and do some open heart surgery this weekend. Get yourself a manual from honda and make sure to keep everything clean and in order. it is easy to lose retainer rings and other small parts. I would also suggest leaving the drinking till later as this speeds the process and leads to less extras pieces/missed steps when finished. (learnes the hard way again) Might want to think about replacing all bearings in lower end while you are in there depending on cash flow. Also, remember to put a little bit of gasket sealer on the main gasket between the two case halves so you dont have yourself an oil leak after all that work. (found out the hard way) high temp gasket sealer works great and wont hurt anything inside the motor if you get a little crazy with the stuff. Hope this helps, and good luck.