PDA

View Full Version : piston swap, how involved is it?

450 Racer R
05-07-2005, 10:07 PM
I think I blew the head gasket on my motor. I noticed oil all down the side of my motor on the exhaust side today while I was riding. I'm thinking about a 13:1 piston. How involved is the install? do i need to drain the coolant and everything? Is there a guide somewhere online that I could check out?

05-07-2005, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
I think I blew the head gasket on my motor. I noticed oil all down the side of my motor on the exhaust side today while I was riding. I'm thinking about a 13:1 piston. How involved is the install? do i need to drain the coolant and everything? Is there a guide somewhere online that I could check out?

your gonna need a manual, i reccommend clymers, they are the best, its not too hard really, but if its your first time in the motor, i would definantly have a friend over that knows what hes doing to help you and make the job even easier

29FTEX
05-08-2005, 06:00 AM
Before tearing into your engine, make sure that the leak isn't coming from the valve cover. I've seen a few 450Rs leak on the exhaust side corners before.

The Factory Honda Service manual is a lot better than a Clymer manual.

400ex4ever
05-08-2005, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by 29FTEX
Before tearing into your engine, make sure that the leak isn't coming from the valve cover. I've seen a few 450Rs leak on the exhaust side corners before.

The Factory Honda Service manual is a lot better than a Clymer manual.

I agree

450 Racer R
05-08-2005, 08:39 AM
I have the service manual, what's that hole in the cylinder head? looks like it's coming out of there. It might be the head gasket too. There's alot of oil on the engine. I'll get a pic up later.

29FTEX
05-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by 450 Racer R
I have the service manual, what's that hole in the cylinder head? looks like it's coming out of there. It might be the head gasket too. There's alot of oil on the engine. I'll get a pic up later.

That is a weep hole for water and such that gets in the spark plug passage. The valve cover seal that goes over the spark plug tube may be tweaked a little.

Use your manual to remove the tank and cover and check it out.

450 Racer R
05-08-2005, 09:09 AM
I understand how it works now, That's my problem I think. When I pc'd my valve cover that seal was tweaked a bit. Luckily I ordered a new one so I have a spare. I'll clean up the engine and take it out today. Hopefully that's the problem and not the gasket