PDA

View Full Version : Head Gasket Thickness

2StrokeFreak
05-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Last year I installed a Cool Head w/21cc dome on my stock bore 86 R using a 3 layer gasket. I know I can get more compression with a thinner gasket, but which one should I use? atc, 89CR, or just peel one apart?

How much reliability am I sacrificing by upping the compression?

How does it affect fuel consumption?

Thanks
Ferak

zedicus00
05-07-2005, 06:46 PM
peal a new trx gasket apart and use one of the thin pieces. i had that setup, worked great, still ran pumpgas, shouldnt loose any reliability.

JTRtrx250r
05-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by 2StrokeFreak
Last year I installed a Cool Head w/21cc dome on my stock bore 86 R using a 3 layer gasket. I know I can get more compression with a thinner gasket, but which one should I use? atc, 89CR, or just peel one apart?

How much reliability am I sacrificing by upping the compression?

How does it affect fuel consumption?

Thanks
Ferak Cr gasket has the most , followed by the ATC, then stock, but many ppl just split the stocker also( i dont so I dont know where it falls in the mix)

W/ splitting the stocker you'll have to use a sealer, upping the compression is a little harder on the bearings and will require race gas

Your jetting, float level, riding style etc and thumb will determine(sp) fuels consumption

You'll also need a good compression gauge

machwon
05-07-2005, 08:44 PM
I split stockers all the time and don't use any sealer. You'll need to run race fuel with that set up to avoid any reliability issues. Otherwise, as long as your bottom end is in good shape, you'll be just fine.

JTRtrx250r
05-07-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by machwon
I split stockers all the time and don't use any sealer. You'll need to run race fuel with that set up to avoid any reliability issues. Otherwise, as long as your bottom end is in good shape, you'll be just fine. hmmm, How much torque are you putting that to?:confused:

zedicus00
05-07-2005, 11:27 PM
jus get a compression gauge. i ran a split stocker with a coolhead an 21cc dome with no sealer on 91 octane just fine. anything much over 185lbs will require 100 octane

2StrokeFreak
05-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Thank you all for your help! This site rocks!

I've always ran mixed gas 1 gal. 110 to 4 gal. 93 at 50:1 Ams.
Thats what I wanted to stick with. At almost 4.00 a gallon I dont want to have to run straight 110.

With raising comp. will jetting be an issue? (always an issue lol)

I have a Milton compression gage, I'll see what the compression is at B4 changing the gasket and after.

Why no sealer??? When I first installed this cool head I put it togeather dry and it leaked. I had to pull it apart again and use sealer. Just a fingerprint film and it sealed up.

Thanks again fellas!!!
Freak