PDA

View Full Version : Is first 20 Hour Service Necessary?

04TRX400EX
05-05-2005, 09:48 PM
The Honda ATV manual says the first service for a 400EX should be done at 20 hours of ride time. I am basically at that amount now. The manual says the service should consist of an oil and filter change and inspection of the quad. Do you all think it is necessary to have a dealer/shop perform the service for the $150 or whatever they charge?

plkmonster2
05-05-2005, 10:14 PM
You can easily do it yourself. It consists of an oil change, valve inspection and adjustment, and an inspection of all the nuts and bolts.

Rico
05-06-2005, 08:49 AM
Yes it's necessary but something you should do yourself.

Go spend the $50 on a service manual and save yourself lots of money down the road..;)

04TRX400EX
05-07-2005, 12:19 AM
So the service manuals will tell you everything that needs to be done, including the valve adjustments and such? Also, what service manual do I need, and where is the best place to get one?

bakeen
05-07-2005, 12:58 AM
Get a Clymer manual. If the local Honda dealer doesn't have them just search on the internet for them. They show how to take everything apart and put it back together. Do the oil change yourself. Make sure you use a torque wrench on the bolts that need to be tightened to a specific setting. I learned an expensive lesson (mostly cus I overtightened the wrong bolt when I was in a hurry). Also make sure you change the oil filter (only a few dollars from the honda dealer) and check the air filter and clean/replace if needed. Valve adjustments isn't something you need to do unless the engine needs it.

prepracing
05-08-2005, 08:35 PM
Clymer manuals suck ! get the genuine honda service manual its only about $15 more and twice as much detail. Any honda dealer should be able to order you one or can tell you where to order it from. They will show you how to do anything no matter how minor or major the problem is.