PDA

View Full Version : cam in stock motor?

polcat1p
05-05-2005, 08:26 PM
Im looking for more power from my 400ex, but want to keep the sound level stock. Will a cam be good for a stock motor? Can a drop in cam be installed pretty easy. Im not a mechanic, but have been inside my camaro lt1 engine a few times.

plkmonster2
05-05-2005, 10:17 PM
A cam will barely do anything in a completely stock quad. You need an exhaust, filter, and a high compression piston to see a nice difference. You can do a filter, cam, and piston, and jet it, and still be at the same sound level. The stock exhaust will hinder you though. I suggest you look into a quiet FMF, or get a HMF with quiet core.

polcat1p
05-07-2005, 01:18 PM
does anyone have a hmf with a quiet core? if so is it close to sounding like stock?

sickmojave
05-07-2005, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by polcat1p
does anyone have a hmf with a quiet core? if so is it close to sounding like stock?

Not even close.. it's loud even with the quiet core.;)

mikeminyard
05-07-2005, 01:26 PM
I ran a Hotcams stage2 on mine for a year before getting a new piston, and I can say it did make a noticeable difference. The quad was quicker, but it was at the expense of quite a bit of bottom end torque. I would say it made about 4 bike lengths difference in a drag in the sand. I would wait and do it with a piston though if I was you.

TC426EX
05-07-2005, 01:45 PM
Rule #1... Cams and Pistons should be done together

You should also already have an aftermarket exhaust, air filter, and rejetted carb before you consider doing these mods.

prepracing
05-08-2005, 08:17 PM
definately need to have pipe, airfilter and rejetted before motor mods. just dropping in a cam alone would be big disappointment. I do know someone that put a 11:1 comp piston and stage 1 hotcam in his 400 and it picked up the power pretty good even with his stock filter and pipe, but when he put the K&N and HMF on it really brought the motor mods alive !

ja400ex
05-09-2005, 07:54 PM
thats goood news. I'm doing the same things to my 400 as soon as my parts arive. Plus a little head work. Does that cam [stage 1 hotcam] realy prove reliable with stock rockers? PS. If ya like quite you would'nt like my yosh. BUT I DO. LOL.

prepracing
05-09-2005, 09:05 PM
he hasn't had any wear or problems with his rockers, I have heard shops reccomend if your going to race and run your quad hard that it might be better to get hardened rockers and stiffer valve springs. But I think thats mainly for full blown race quads

cals400ex
05-09-2005, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by prepracing
he hasn't had any wear or problems with his rockers, I have heard shops reccomend if your going to race and run your quad hard that it might be better to get hardened rockers and stiffer valve springs. But I think thats mainly for full blown race quads

hardened rockers are JUST for hardened cams. you don't want to run hardened rockers with a drop in cam or the cam will be ruined. the opposite is true too. a hardweld cam with stock rockers may harm the rockers.