PDA

View Full Version : engine trouble with 450R

des929
05-05-2005, 08:11 PM
i got a 2005 with less than 15 hours on it. got hmf full exhaust, and the honda cam kit. while out riding backroads by my house, coming down a straight away i opened it up and at one point it stuttered a couple times. got back home and could tell it didnt feel right and didnt sound right. while idleing, you can hear something in it occasionally hitting against something. also had oil pushing somewhere out around the top of the jug. took it too shop and guy called me and told me that bottom end is coming apart. said he hadnt tore it all the way down, but that was something that i was gonna need to take back to honda for warranty work. anyone have any ideas on what this is, why it happened and if honda will cover it under warranty with the honda cam kit or do i need to put it back to stock before i take it in? i was riding it hard, but not to a point that it should have hurt it. no where near the kind of abuse that one would receive being used to race.

05-05-2005, 08:25 PM
PUT IT BACK STOCK! they will void your warranty if they see that cam in there. goodluck

05-05-2005, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
PUT IT BACK STOCK! they will void your warranty if they see that cam in there. goodluck

no they wont, its a honda cam, you have crank bearing problems im betting, since it happened so soon, etc, they will warrenty it if your still under warrenty

35charlie
05-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Ditto what Honda_Racer said. There have been quite a few crank and counterbalancer bearing failures. In all of the cases I've seen written about, Honda has been covering all or at least the parts, even OUT of warranty.

TRXDresh
05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Depends on which dealer you take it to. If you read your HRC kit manual, it states that the HRC kit voids the warranty. Just hope that you have a nice dealer.

05-05-2005, 10:56 PM
if you or anyone other than honda put that cam in no matter what it is they are 99% likely to put the blame on you

MX26
05-05-2005, 11:17 PM
I had some oil come out of the little breather hole in my jug too. Whats up with that?

kargaaro
05-06-2005, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by MX26
I had some oil come out of the little breather hole in my jug too. Whats up with that?

I've had that too and I know others have as well. Seems to happen when it gets hot. No one has been able to explain why but I don't think it's a problem

05-06-2005, 10:13 AM
are you overfilling the oil?

Jersey450R
05-06-2005, 10:37 AM
Honda and you dealer will only cover the warranty IF you bought it from the dealer with the HRC kit and CAM installed with 0 hours on the bike.

05-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by MixMasterMike
if you or anyone other than honda put that cam in no matter what it is they are 99% likely to put the blame on you

yep thats true

MX26
05-06-2005, 04:48 PM
Well, I change my oil on my driveway, and filled it until it was between the marks beside the sightglass. I changed the filter that time and when I cranked it to let it run and cycle through the filter, all the oil disappeared so I refilled it. I might have put a little too much. It hasn't done it since then.

05-06-2005, 05:09 PM
okay. heres something you may not of know. You don't check oil with the vehicle running because its going through the engine. That is prob. why it appeared to "dissapear" when you looked at the glass after starting it, then you added more oil and overfilled it and theres your problem. but I still doubt thats why your engine blew, but it may of had something to do with it :confused:

MX26
05-06-2005, 05:16 PM
Yeah, I know. I didn't check it when it was running.. Sorry, guess I didnt clarify. I rode it a little and noticed it was extremely low, then went back and parked it again, let it cool down a while, then put some more in there. It actually did it before I put more in.

And.. My engine didnt blow

05-06-2005, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by MX26
My engine didnt blow but its about too? just trying to help you out. goodluck

wvspeedfreak
05-06-2005, 06:29 PM
From my experience with these engines and the crf450,these engines do not like to be run low on oil.........even a little bit.The crank bearings especially don't like it.

honda350r
05-06-2005, 09:42 PM
This is what might happen if you let it go too long .. See anything disturbing?

05-06-2005, 09:48 PM
wow, thats a crank bearing failure :(

ajbryan
05-06-2005, 10:31 PM
HEY hold on a minute, I read somebody said all there oil disappeared in the sight glass while the motor was running? If you don't see any oil at all in the sight glass while the motor is running you are definately low on oil. You should always check your oil when your bike is cool and on level ground.

MX26
05-07-2005, 12:22 PM
lol, what a bee hive i stirred up.

Yeah, I noticed when it was running that there was no oil in the sightglass. I figured since I'd changed the filter, it just started cycling through the filter and the level went down?

Mike, I don't think my motors going to blow. From what I've seen, all the ones that have failures are going to grenade within or around 10 hours of use. Thanks for lookin out though :D

05-07-2005, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ajbryan
HEY hold on a minute, I read somebody said all there oil disappeared in the sight glass while the motor was running? If you don't see any oil at all in the sight glass while the motor is running you are definately low on oil. You should always check your oil when your bike is cool and on level ground. I know i'm not low on oil when the engine is running and I see no oil in the sight glass...of course at the very bottom you can see a little bit flutter around but as soon as you kill the bike on level ground it goes back up to the full mark

05-14-2005, 06:43 PM
I just dissasembled an '04 450R that had a bad knocking noise and the right side main bearing is completely gone. The easiest way to check this is to take the allen head plug out of the right side of your motor and see if you can move the bolt under the cover forward or backward. If you can, then it is bad!

wvspeedfreak
05-14-2005, 07:03 PM
How many hours were on the quad?

450ar
05-14-2005, 07:26 PM
ab**** Thanks for the tip. Do you have a trick for the balancer shaft bearing?

05-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Sorry, don't have a trick for those other than removing your clutch cover completely!

450ar
05-14-2005, 10:50 PM
ab**** I have only did a piston so i am not certain. I think the water pump is driven off the balancer shaft? Could you take the water pump of and see if the balancer bearing is bad?

05-15-2005, 07:31 AM
Not really because you have a mechanical seal, oil seal, and the water pump bearing in there before the counterbalancer bearing! Good thought though. And, it's not too hard to pull the clutch cover off of one of these. Honda did an excellent job when they engineered these. They made these motors to work on and they are a lot simpler than the 400ex's. I like how the entire cam assembly comes out in 1 piece, the cylinder and head come off with 4 nuts and 3 small external bolts, if you bend a shift shaft the motor doesn't have to be split to install a new one, the cam chain sprocket doesn't have to be turned 180 degrees to get both allen head bolts out, the valve cover comes off with 3 bolts that don't break off when you take them out or reinstall them, and most of the side cover bolts are the same length! I would rather work on a 450R now than a 400EX.

awj8074
05-15-2005, 08:15 PM
From what I've seen, all the ones that have failures are going to grenade within or around 10 hours of use. Thanks for lookin out though :D [/B] mine didnt happen till around 50 hours

shamisc
05-15-2005, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by awj8074
mine didnt happen till around 50 hours

Did Honda still cover it?:(

awj8074
05-16-2005, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by shamisc
Did Honda still cover it?:( yea i have a 2 year warrenty and it happend within the first 6 months