PDA

View Full Version : tired thumb...

highoct250r
05-05-2005, 06:28 PM
Are there any ways to ge the thumb throdloe on the 250r to ease up or to push more freely. I rode my freinds raptor the other day and his throdloe is soooo smooth. I feel like i could ride so much longer and harder with that. i have heard about cuttinh the spring that holds the needle? And i also heard that buying a new throtle would work also, but im a cheap hick and am not going to go out and drop 120 on a throtle. im lookin for a cheap homemade way to fix this. i also buy a new cable if that would fix it.
Thanks, Dave

bens250ex
05-05-2005, 07:13 PM
45 dollers for a twist? that could work

2StrokeFreak
05-05-2005, 07:42 PM
How old is your cable? $14.00for a new one may be a good start.

I was amazed how much easier my clutch and throttle got after replacing the cables.

Get that done then decide if ya want to cut springs, or get a new throttle lever.
just my .02
freak

JTRtrx250r
05-05-2005, 07:44 PM
check your post on ther other site.... cant get much more homejob hick style than that haha:D ;)

http://www.trx250r.org/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=593

Depending on the carb... you can also swap springs from another for a softer 1

shellz4sand
05-05-2005, 08:19 PM
Buy the motion pro kit it is $42 it is an easy swith over to twist throttle.Thumbs suck:(

CHAR250R
05-05-2005, 08:39 PM
I had the same problem. Put on a new cable, and cleaned and lubed everything. Still uncomfortable. I ordered an adjustable thumb throttle lever from James Lucky. Problem solved. It is by far the most comfortable thumb throttle I have ridden.

trailgoon
05-05-2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by shellz4sand
Buy the motion pro kit it is $42 it is an easy swith over to twist throttle.Thumbs suck:(
Exactly rode the R for one day with a thumb thortle then switched it over to a quarter turn throttle. Have you tried putting some lube in the cable and working it back and forth?

dober250R
05-06-2005, 06:14 AM
I'm thinkin bout switchin over to a twist also. Do you guys have any problems when u land , nailin the throttle when u come down?

shellz4sand
05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
It may take some getting used to but you will.My kids get huge air and land no problem.You can ride all day with twist, and we usually last 1 ride, and then off the thumb comes.Everything we own has twist throttle, and my kids have been riding with it since the were 5 years old.:rolleyes: Good luck!

Tom TRX250R
05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
I love twist throttle, maybe it is from my experience with motorcycles!!:D You can ride all day without having your thumb feel like it will fall off!

Just be careful because it does take some getting used to especially on the trails when you hit a bump or over washboards! But once you do get the hang of it you won't be able to go back to thumb throttle again!

Eddiesanders250
05-06-2005, 03:53 PM
put a 400ex thumb throttle on it. thats what i have on mine and it works great.

Tom TRX250R
05-06-2005, 07:26 PM
The only problem with the 400ex throttles vs. the 250R stock throttle is the 400 throttle lever doesn't go back as far not opening the carb up fully. Where as the R throttle goes back just a little bit further opening the carb all the way!

E-ATV-Racing
05-07-2005, 05:03 PM
You can cut the sprin down a little. I have a PWK and I bought a new spring from the Raptor carb, I think it was about $8. It is way softer than the original PWK spring.

rajuncajun
05-07-2005, 06:23 PM
i just got rid of a $130 moose billet throttle because they suck so i've got a 400ex throttle on it with the stop inside it shaved down and it is the best one i've ever ran and if you shave the stop down it has no problem opening my 38 A/S

NEPA250R
05-07-2005, 08:12 PM
Moose makes a thumb throttle extender which will allow you to "palm" the throttle. I used one of these during a winter race series because the cold weather was causing my thumb to cramp. With the extender, as soon as I felt my thumb cramp, I would "palm" the throttle until my thumb felt better. Normally though, I position the throttle assembly at an angle that allows me to use my index and middle fingers, and when I feel my thumb cramp, I try to use those fingers.

zedicus00
05-07-2005, 11:38 PM
i like twists on bikes. i like thumbs on quads. easier to controll it in powerslides around corners i think. to each there own though. and cutting the spring a lil wont make it stiffer

JTRtrx250r
05-08-2005, 12:00 AM
hey jacksticks...cutting the spring WILL make it STIFFER!:ermm: the dudes trying to make it softer!

just grind the outside of the original spring on a bench grinder, just take a little bit off at a time so you dont kill all its return abilitly, rotate the spring while your doing it, real simple, you dont and to run around or waist $$ and time.

It works!

zedicus00
05-08-2005, 12:17 AM
not trying to start anything but please explain to me how cutting a spring and then stretching it to make up for the length will make the throttle pull stiffer? i may be missing sumthing but i did this to mine and i thought it felt softer...

JTRtrx250r
05-08-2005, 01:35 AM
Ive done a bunch to finally figure it out:o

Think of it like a coil over shock spring... you take away the mass/volume of coils that allows it to flow unison, kind of like when them To fast and Furious spodes cut stock springs on their cars to "lower" them... they get a stiff bounce no matter how they set them up

or like bending a plasitc spoon, it'll bend untill it breaks... then try bending a peice of the broken part... its way stiffer

it might feel softer b/c its shorter, but then really stiffens up at the last bit of travel before it collaps's. Ive cut and stretched them, pulled them apart again etc.... I finally learned what ppl were telling me and now fully understand, buy stretching it... you take away its memory and fatigue it , that will help make it a tad softer but it takes away its return ability, grinding the outside does the same thing... but it retains all the original coils.

No worries about starting anything w/ me bro, I say most in sarcasm and if someone dont understand.. I try to help them see my point or opinion...or what I mean

Mess around w/ some spare springs and you see what I mean, Im also not the best at explaining things at times

Coils work in unison, if you take away coils.. it makes the rest have to do more...

By stretching it.. it makes it not return as quick

I have done what you have and will admit it works... but only to a point, you still have to compensate for the shorter spring w/ the adjustment(if your real picky and make sure you set your slide cut away to the venturi of the carb, I do it so the slide maxes out where its supposed to)... at least you stretch it to make up for length!

See what Im trying to say mang? To each his own I spose... I guess ppl can make it work both ways...

Mikuni's are also slightly stiffer from what Ive found w/ they're skinny springs opposed to the Keihins

;)