PDA

View Full Version : CFR450 / 400ex Hybrid Questions/Help

andybellus
05-05-2005, 06:16 PM
I'm thinking of doing this swap but want to know from a few of you that have done this what are the small things that are needed? Lets say I have a complete crf450 engine, carb, CDI, wire harness, hoses and the 400ex. What else do I need besides gusseting the frame, radiator mounts and radiator, new front motor mounts(don't need rear do I?), exhaust(which is best with this combo and who makes them?) kickstart extention? What about clutch cables and throtle cables? Do you use stock CRF450 cables? Can you use a thumb throttle? Any information would be great.

Thanks

Andy

K_Fulk
05-05-2005, 08:17 PM
Use a crf 450 clutch cable, yfz450 throttle cable, yz250 kicker with extension, might need your rear shock revalved ( quad is a lot lighter).

05-06-2005, 08:38 AM
new motor mounts, East Coast ATV kicker extension, TC Racing or Sparks shorty exhaust and a new rear fender mounting system because you need the rear fender to flip up so you can kick the motor over, your foot will hit the rear plastic if you dont, or you could just cut that part of the fender off, but that kinda defeats the purpose of a fender.

400exredrider
05-06-2005, 08:54 AM
or if your useing the stock 400ex plastic mounting system, you can take the rear off really quick and kick it over then throw them back on, this can be time consuming in races tho if you stall

dangle
05-06-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm running 400 plastic... rear fender is just cut about 4'' for the kicker. If you buy the mounting kit from a shop go with JBracing... eeast coast atv's kit is more$$$ and doesn't come with a head stay. My TC exhaust is LOUD... real loud. So if you ride were noise is an issue you're better off with the sparks. You also need a different water pump cover b/c the one on the bike will not work in relation to were the radiator sits in the quad frame.

Mike

andybellus
05-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Hey guys thanks for the info. Keep it coming

05-06-2005, 07:07 PM
no problem bro, im glad to help