Pappy
05-05-2005, 03:58 PM
He wants to go bigger but I think that would spell the end for the poor 90:(

Pappy
05-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Anyone have some MX expierence with the new Cobra:confused:

Pappy
05-05-2005, 04:00 PM
He still prefers treebashing, but I dont think it would take long on a better MX'r to get him hooked

Pappy
05-05-2005, 04:01 PM
I called and priced building a hybrid...wow...upwards of 12 grand:eek2:

Kilabanshee
05-05-2005, 04:02 PM
Yeah those new Cobra minis look sick! Throw a cr125 or wr250f "electric start" motor in the trx frame. I'm sure Cody would like that!

Pappy
05-05-2005, 04:05 PM
well, i checked out a few of the minis at the gnc, and i have a ktm 65 here for a donor. the problem is, and rick hetrick agrees, using a full size quad frame is just not the answer. maybe for a larger kid but cody is a runt.

Kilabanshee
05-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I figured maybe the trx90 frame had alittle room to throw in a larger motor. I guess not. Good luck with your decision! I'm sure Cody will be pleased with any quad you make for him.

Pappy
05-05-2005, 04:09 PM
i think there is room, but it would be pretty compact:p

im thinkin real hard of just building him the yfz250f quad using a rolling yfz like someone posted awhile back. i know he couldnt race it, but by the time he could he would be ready for just about anything.

AtvMxRider
05-05-2005, 04:33 PM
Ken as a cobra owner (bike) I can tell you they are a money pit. The cobra quad may be ok next year but this year they are having nothing but trouble with them. Now don't get me wrong cobra makes a wicked fast bike but you had just be ready to sink some money in up keep:ermm:

Pappy
05-05-2005, 04:52 PM
yeah thats what scares me:(

i geuss one day he will just up and start hammering the 416:D

mxkids
05-05-2005, 04:56 PM
We have the cobra quad and love it. The only complaint that we have had has been with the shocks. But cobra is fixing the problem. They have our shocks and will be shipped back to us tomm. My son raced the cobra at a local event in the 90 9-15 class just to see how it would do. The cobra was totally awesome. We have not went to the nationals yet, but plan on going to at least 3. They must not be to bad they have won the last 3 nationals in the 70 prod.. I think a lot of it depends on how well the rider can use a clutch. If we had it to do all over again we would still spend the $8000.00 for the cobra.:) :)

Arctic Cat Dad
05-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Ken , Cody has really come on strong this year. I myself would wait on the Cobra thing. Give them some time to get the bugs worked out. Plus I agree they will be a money pit. It sure looks like he's ready for something. If you ever think of adopting another kid let me know. I sure would like to see Michael on some of your toys.:D

Pappy
05-05-2005, 08:43 PM
thanks, he has been training pretty hard. i wish he had some other kids that raced that lived close. racing me isnt fun and mom refuses to go past 1st gear:p

Pappy
05-05-2005, 08:46 PM
He gets aggrivated now because all he wants to do is ride wide open in the woods. he atleast now wants speed and he is on the verge or even past riding what the suspension will allow.

Pappy
05-05-2005, 08:48 PM
i honestly dont know how the little honda 90 has survived this long. the stock engine just keeps getting it done:p

Out_Sider
05-05-2005, 09:09 PM
i've always thought that the yz250f in a yfz roller would be the perfect quad (if they made them it would be my next quad over the 450s) i think if you hit the codeman up with one of those rides, he'd never get the smile wiped off his face after riding it :)

QuadJunkies
05-06-2005, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Ken as a cobra owner (bike) I can tell you they are a money pit. The cobra quad may be ok next year but this year they are having nothing but trouble with them. Now don't get me wrong cobra makes a wicked fast bike but you had just be ready to sink some money in up keep:ermm: thats what Ive read...

We are stuck in a situation also where LilQJ need sa BIGGER mini. Shes more than ready for more power and shes hit the 5"02 mark at age 11 :huh Her legs have no where to go anymore :( but a hybrid is no where in my budget :ermm: The Motor has been GREAT for her and will pass it down to the Boy when the time comes but not sure where to go from here... :confused:
Good luck to ya Pappy on whatever you get :)

ohski
05-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Lots of great pics Pappy..! And big thumbs up to Cody for riding so great..! I don't think getting a Cobra would solve anything, if you could even find one. Let him ride the wheels off that Honda for this summer and I’m sure by next year you will have figured something out. Keep talking to Hetrick and I’m sure you will come up with something that will fit your budget and Cody’s need for speed :eek2:

Wade

dirtmomma
05-06-2005, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
thats what Ive read...

We are stuck in a situation also where LilQJ need sa BIGGER mini. Shes more than ready for more power and shes hit the 5"02 mark at age 11 :huh Her legs have no where to go anymore :( but a hybrid is no where in my budget :ermm: The Motor has been GREAT for her and will pass it down to the Boy when the time comes but not sure where to go from here... :confused:
Good luck to ya Pappy on whatever you get :)

You guys need to fine that girl a used blaster, you can do SOOOOO much w/ them for not a whole lotta $$ Sell that 50 put that $$ into a CR80 motor & do that conversion THEN she'd have a hella quad From the sounds of it she'd do good on a blaster :) just my thoughts LOL

Pappy that 90 will probably last FOREVER, we have a 99' that my oldest son trashed & thrashed for 5 yrs still does sometimes(we have to keep him off it LOL) now his little brother is riding it & motor wise it's like an Energizer bunny LOL, he's hit a tree head on(got that fixed), & it still keeps on going!!! But I know what your saying about outgrowing it ability wise, DJ did that pretty quick too, how come you don't throw a cr80 motor in a blaster frame?? There's one that runs here & all I can say is DAYUMMMM one night it beat our blaster :eek: :o DJ was REALLY embarassed LOL but it definetly got up & scooted!!!!!

Good luck both of you w/ what you choose I can WAIT till our new mini gets here next week :D

i-zapp
05-06-2005, 10:13 AM
boy, great pics pappy. if i might ask, are they film shots that are scanned? or right from a digital camera? if digital camera, which one?

QuadJunkies
05-06-2005, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
You guys need to fine that girl a used blaster, you can do SOOOOO much w/ them for not a whole lotta $$ Sell that 50 put that $$ into a CR80 motor & do that conversion THEN she'd have a hella quad From the sounds of it she'd do good on a blaster :) just my thoughts LOL

Pappy that 90 will probably last FOREVER, we have a 99' that my oldest son trashed & thrashed for 5 yrs still does sometimes(we have to keep him off it LOL) now his little brother is riding it & motor wise it's like an Energizer bunny LOL, he's hit a tree head on(got that fixed), & it still keeps on going!!! But I know what your saying about outgrowing it ability wise, DJ did that pretty quick too, how come you don't throw a cr80 motor in a blaster frame?? There's one that runs here & all I can say is DAYUMMMM one night it beat our blaster :eek: :o DJ was REALLY embarassed LOL but it definetly got up & scooted!!!!!

Good luck both of you w/ what you choose I can WAIT till our new mini gets here next week :D that 50 aint gonna sell for enough to buy a new motor. Right now if still fits lilman, he likes it better than Sis's quad,it fits him better right now and its got plenty of power for him ;) She would do well on a Blaster, but to keep here in a class she can race in (nationally) she cant do the Blaster thing and she inteneds on doing the whole series. Like Pappy said, a Hybrid is SPENDY!:eek2:

Pappy
05-06-2005, 07:09 PM
well izzy burgard stepped up and gave cody a 400ex/blaster hybrid to ride for awhile:eek: harlen(admin) thru us a set of elkas for the front and tomarrow we will hit the mx track and let him get used to it!

i-zapp...al i shoot anymore is digital

theTman
05-06-2005, 07:46 PM
why is he crossed eyed pappy?...and good luck with the hybrid!

Pappy
05-06-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by theTman
why is he crossed eyed pappy?...and good luck with the hybrid!

lol..he just came riding by making a goofy face:p

Pappy
05-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Well, not that I didnt doubt Rick Hetrick, but he is 100% correct. The full size hybrids just arent going to work for Cody.

The bike handled and ran perfectly, but Cody's small size just doesnt afford him the power he needs to make the quad handle the way it should.

Pappy
05-07-2005, 12:45 PM
he attempted to ride the Hybrid just as he does his 90 and while he did mangage to ride the quad, you could tell he was not in full control.

Pappy
05-07-2005, 12:46 PM
i think by the time he is 13 or 14, this will deffinatley be the type of quad he will be on.

Pappy
05-07-2005, 12:48 PM
I was proud to see that even on a full size quad, Cody was usuing good form and riding technique. I sure dont want him to grow up any faster, but I can't wait for him to finally be able to get on a quad like this:p

Pappy
05-07-2005, 12:50 PM
After riding the Hybrid, he did confess he wished his 90 had alot more power:D

Pappy
05-07-2005, 12:52 PM
As long as he is happy I geuss we will be fine:)

ohski
05-08-2005, 06:25 AM
HERE (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6724&item=4548731579&rd=1) you go Pappy..! This quad would be perfect for Cody.

Wade

Pappy
05-08-2005, 06:50 AM
lol..16,000$:p

Jersey450R
05-08-2005, 07:40 AM
Pappy, you should hook Codeman up with a tricked up blaster. I think its a great quad when hooked up right. Get 12 inches of travel and some +3's on there and he'll be ripppppen!

ohski
05-08-2005, 08:38 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
lol..16,000$:p

Yea when I first looked at it I thought it was perfect for you... My eyes were not catching that last zero. I thought I would post it anyway just for kicks :devil:

Wade

Pappy
05-11-2005, 03:32 PM
a blaster maybe next for him to throw a leg over. he is just at an akward age when he is too small for something bigger, but riding over what the little 90 can do in stock form.

maggiesboy
05-13-2005, 08:40 AM
What if you took a Takegawa or Kitaco 124cc top end and put it to his 90? I was thinking about doing that for my oldest boys next flat track machine on a TRX 70. They do make a manual 3 speed gearbox for those too. The Kitaco kit shows a power output of 17 horsepower. Not too bad for a mini.

Even with power increase, he would still lack in chassis components jumping the way his pictures show.

BLEEDRED
05-13-2005, 09:27 AM
Pappy, does Codeman ever wear eye protection?

Pappy
05-14-2005, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by BLEEDRED
Pappy, does Codeman ever wear eye protection?

when he is riding with others yes. when its really dusty...i try to enforce it. he has enough riding expierence to know when he needs them or wants them. todays race, they lasted 200 feet:scary: then they were discarded.

JDiablo
05-14-2005, 10:13 PM
build him a nice blaster like this :devil:

rippin2
05-15-2005, 07:47 AM
u should buy my blaster:p :p

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
build him a nice blaster like this :devil: Holy chit........!!! :eek: is that yours?!!!! :eek2: :blah: Now thats a blaster my Daughter needs!! :devil:

JDiablo
05-15-2005, 10:52 AM
no but i wish,lol

www.projectblaster.com go to PB quads and check out some of the blasters they got there,i just gained alot of respect for those lil quads

QuadJunkies
05-15-2005, 10:58 AM
I seen some modified blaster that TORE on the track !! you throw a big bore in them and they flat out RIP!:macho Ill go check it out :)

red rider88
05-15-2005, 11:40 AM
get him a 250x i got the one ryan hetrick rode at high point last year. i used to ride a trx 90 but got to big.

red rider88
05-15-2005, 11:43 AM

cjpoole1
05-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by 300exrida
no but i wish,lol

www.projectblaster.com go to PB quads and check out some of the blasters they got there,i just gained alot of respect for those lil quads
Theres some real nice blasters on that page. I really like this XC one
http://www.vcatv.com/PBpictures/PBblasterpics/margariablaster4.jpg
http://www.vcatv.com/PBpictures/PBblasterpics/margariablaster8.jpg

cjpoole1
05-15-2005, 11:54 AM
Another nice XC one off that site
http://www.vcatv.com/PBpictures/PBblasterpics/blakeblaster1.jpg
http://www.vcatv.com/PBpictures/PBblasterpics/blakeblaster2.jpg

wilkin250r
05-16-2005, 01:10 PM
From the looks of it, Cody isn't ready to jump on a Blaster or 250X, even in stock form. He doesn't have the size and weight to b!tch-slap a larger chassis and make it perform the way he needs.

Right now, he's pushing the suspension of that little 90 to the max. Adding more power may be the catalyst that allows him to push the suspension BEYOND the limits, the proverbial straw to break the camel's back. Plus, cutting and welding the frame to mount a more powerful motor may weaken the chassis enough to cause problems with the abuse he will put it through.

It's unfortunate, but I think you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. Cody is ready for more power, but not ready for a larger chassis. The only options are a custom hybrid, probably with a custom frame for better suspension, or a Cobra, both options involving big $$, as I'm sure you have already concluded.

Pappy
05-16-2005, 07:18 PM
your dead on the money wilkin. a larger quad just takes away his ability to handle the quad.

a new engine is being built for his 90 but staying inside the class limits will only help a small amount. maybe its time to build him a 2 smoke and let it eat and rebuild it every month:(

rippin2
05-16-2005, 07:24 PM
just put the biggest and baddest in his bike...whilke keeping it in his classorr bump him up a class

wilkin250r
05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
I'm not sure about back east and the big national circuits like GNCC, but it seems around here most mini classes are strictly displacement limit, and they don't specify 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

The 90 is a CVT, right? No gears?

With a CVT, you don't have to worry about the loss of low-end that 2-strokes are plagued with, nor worry about staying in the powerband. I think a 90cc 2 smoke revver will give him a terrific increase in power, and the CVT will allow him to keep his same riding style, rather than the headaches of getting used to a 2-stroke powerband. I bet he would jump on and feel right at home.

JDiablo
05-17-2005, 02:50 PM
how bout this Ken?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4549436674&indexURL=5&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

QuadJunkies
05-17-2005, 11:43 PM
So what kind of frames are they using to put these smaller motors in anyhow??? Will puting a dif. plastic(modifying to fit Chassis) make any difference on a quad to give them more room?? We talk about this ALOT of sis, she WILL NOT be able to ride her next year it will be too small for sure by then. Right now her legs are really starting to cramp for room :( Her problem is she is very thin( apporx 75 lbs) but is tall.

MOD 50cc DAD
05-19-2005, 09:20 AM
It is very common to put a cr80/ kx60/ ktm60 motor in the trx90 frame! My son races a Robbs Racing TRX125. It is extremely powerful! The suspension on my sons racer(TRX125) is awesome.

48" width
long travel shocks
hydraulic brakes all around

Keep that TRX --> throw in the KTM65 --> It's not as expensive as you think!

We built a kx65/blaster for my son last year and he didn't have control over it. The frame was just too big.

Pappy
05-19-2005, 02:24 PM
i emailed robbs racing about some info but havent recieved a reply, in like 3 weeks:(

MOD 50cc DAD
05-20-2005, 05:10 AM
pappy

Give him a call instead 1-603-231-1692. I'll mention it to him today. He has been busy with the nations. You will not be dissappointed with his work.

4punksdad
06-01-2005, 08:35 PM
cool pictures. I enjoyed them.