PDA

View Full Version : Help! 450R Techies! FCR carb

CdaleXtreme
05-05-2005, 11:01 AM
Alright a few months ago I got an FCR, and I like it alot. The “bog” was always there, But wasn’t too bad. So The first problem I started having was.

1. A tacky residue “gum” collecting on my slide assembly/ housing making the throttle overly difficult, and slow to snap back. I would give it a quick squirt of WD-40 or carb cleaner, and it would free right up! Somone told me it was my NO-Toil Filter oil, but I changed that to Bell Ray, to no Success. Anyone have any ideas? I used VP U-2 race fuel, and Bell Ray, Thumper engine oil.

2. While I had my quad apart spec-ing the valves. I installed a boyesen quick shot. I put the bike back together. I now have to give it full throttle starts to even get it started. In the Cold it will start, but starts easier without the Choke, and it is all around hard starting even when warmed up. Now the bog that the boyesen is supposed to fix, is twice as bad as before. (what the heck caused my carb to start acting up like this!) I spec’d my valves like I always do. I just don’t get it.

3. Finally, I know this doesn’t have anything to do with the FCR, But I lose a good bit of my engine oil when I ride. Don’t know where it goes but it’s gone after a hard ride. I am an “A” level national rider. So I run it long and hard.

Sorry for the long deal, But any help would be greatly appreciated.

Shawn H
05-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Specualting here but maybe you need a rebuild?

Sounds like blow by to me,

1 you say it starts better when cold, once its hot a ring could be sticking?
2 If ya need to start it without choke you are over fueling.When your hot its just to much fuel. Your jetting is off

Get rid of the Boysen Quick shot start all over.

You are more than likely buring oil. Some 450r's do use a little oil tho I believe there is a Service bulletin that came out way back when the 450r came out. To watch the oil during long extended use.

If your a National A rider and run it Hard Im sure your motor is due if you have never rebuilt it.

Mine gets rebuilt at the beginning of season and midway thru.

44oEX
05-05-2005, 11:19 AM
well I can't help you with the FCR but for your oil, I am guessing you need new rings or valve seals.

For your carb well did the tempature change??? maybe your running lean. The jetting would make it harder to start. So check your jetting.

CdaleXtreme
05-05-2005, 01:40 PM
I did run it low on oil slightly before checking the valves, It was visible through the lense but just barely. Could this have ruined my rings + seals?

Also it never smokes on start up or any time at all.

Speaking of blow by, I do hear an occasional blurt of air come back through the carb, when I am trying to start it. Could this be a sign of worn parts?

But its hard to believe, I mean zero smoke, and The power is as good as it has ever been.

oldsandman
05-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Check your TPS. Sounds like it is bad or not hooked up.

macsolocam
05-05-2005, 03:41 PM
QUOTE]Originally posted by oldsandman
Check your TPS. Sounds like it is bad or not hooked up. [/QUOTE]

could you go into more detail....sounds interesting...I had a deal like this one time....I thought it was my rings...and it probably was but give us some more feedback on this one...tks.

oldsandman
05-05-2005, 04:12 PM
I had a bogging issue with my fcr a while back. After trying darn near everything I found I had lost continuity with my tps. The wiring was fine so I put a new tps on, checked it out and presto no more bog.

CdaleXtreme
05-05-2005, 04:43 PM
come to think of it I have the Procom :rolleyes: Box on my quad, and it has always worked great. Maybe until now? would this cause my starting problem as well.

Does the pro-com box even incorporate the TPS?(I have heard it doesnt) JW wondering because I didnt notice a big bog difference when I installed it.

anyone have any Ideas about burning oil?

Trx450always
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
the procom box does not use the TPS thats why everyone has the vortex or the DYnatech soon to be released. Get rid of it! It even advances your timing causing preignition at high RPM's.

CdaleXtreme
05-05-2005, 08:57 PM
Okay guys stay with me here.

I took my carb off tonight and found the slightest pool of oil laying on my billet adapter on the intake side of my carb. Now I am guessing this is blowing back through the valves somehow correct? this would explain why my carb is becoming sticky, when that oil coats the slide housing, it is dense and sticking the rollers up a little.

Should I do a ring Job, and new valve seals.

Btw, the engine has only about 25 hrs on it. :ermm:

-----

Could any of this make the quad hard to start? Or does my jetting spontaneously need changed?

Shawn H
05-05-2005, 09:35 PM
Yes :D

Yea it can make your quad hard to start.with a loss of compression you cant compress the gas as good to combust.if your valves are worn you also can loose compression.

You need to inspect it all!

CdaleXtreme
05-06-2005, 10:44 AM
It would make sense to do a compression test first correct?

Duncanracer
05-06-2005, 10:51 AM
Also i like to do a compression test after i do the top end, so i ahve the first reading, and then after every race check it so i know when i'm gonna have to do another top end...

Shawn H
05-06-2005, 02:58 PM
Wont work!!

You got a compression release on your cam and you will not get accurate readings!